6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2019 12:56 PM by Cad Admin

can 2018 sp1 client connect to 2018 sp5 server

Glenn Freeman

We are working on moving our PDM PRO vault over to a new server.  I did a system back up and copied the files over and I have restored everything on the new server.  My local computer cannot log onto the new server.  The only thing that I can think of that might be different is We installed PDM PRO 2018sp1 and the users are running 2018 SP1.  Do the service packs of the PDM server have to match the service packs installed on the local computers?

Thank you in advance,

Glenn

• Re: can 2018 sp1 client connect to 2018 sp5 server
          Prasad Bhonsule

Hi Glenn, the service packs do not have to match, only the major version (ie 2017, 2018) have to be the same between client and server.

What's the error message you get when trying to log in?

Thanks

Prasad

Cad Admin

Did you redirect the client to the new location?  We move all our servers 6 months ago.

try looking at, verify the DbServer, ServerLoc & Dbname

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\Databases\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\Databases\

Glenn Freeman

There were numerous problems.

We fixed some of the yesterday, the archive files were stored in a different location so we had to edit the server registry to update that, the old server the files were stored on the D: drive.  The new server does not have a D: drive at the moment.

1.  We did not have all the ports open, Incoming and outgoing 1433, 1434, 3030, 25734, 25375

2. The new server had a different name than the old server so we had to do some edits to the DB on the server and some registry edits on the server as well to let SQL know the new server name and to let the PDM software know the new server name.  Our local reseller was making these changes for me at a pace far faster than I could keep up.

3. Had to setup some database maintenance routines for daily, weekly and monthly backups and clean up work.  He ran the daily clean up routine as well.

4. Then to repoint the local machines there are some registry edits that can be done to repoint looking at the new server instead of having to delete and add the new view.  The tech support person should be sending me a batch file to help with the local user repoint shortly.

Luckily I have worked with this tech support agent before and we had gotten most of the heavy lifting of the move done already.  Otherwise our reseller usually charges to help transition to a new server.