2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2019 11:34 AM by Matthew Kiselevach

Gravity Gradient- Flow Simulation

Matthew Kiselevach

I was wondering if it is possible to create a formula for gravity in the Flow Simulation dependent on X,Y, and/or Z. I know that you can have gravity change over time, but I would like to have a gradient of gravity applied to my model. This is flow model is almost completely driven by centrifugation and a few flows, so having the gradient is important for this model. It currently won't let me select X,Y,Z, or r, phi, theta. Do I need to set something else up before these can be selected?

Capture.PNG

• Re: Gravity Gradient- Flow Simulation
          Mark Keown

Have you looked into using Rotation?

• Re: Gravity Gradient- Flow Simulation
              Matthew Kiselevach

I have.  I looked up some tutorials for the different types of rotation, but I believe all require that the part be axisymmetric?  My part isn't axisymmetric, but I did still try a few.  Here are my results from the global rotating region.  It does look like it may be working, but I can't keep my part as the static frame.  The flow lines go across the whole width of the centrifuge instead of staying in my part.  I was hoping there was something I was doing wrong in the flow simulation (either in the rotation and/or gravity settings), but I think it may just not be able to do this?  Is there a way to trick the flow simulation into either spinning, but keeping the reference frame only on the part, or causing a gradient body force on the particles/liquid?  I was thinking of workarounds and I thought applying a gradient electric field across a part and then create particles with charges in the liquid to react to that body force could work.  I've never messed with electric fields in solidworks, so I don't know if this is possible either.  I just wanted to see if anyone else had solved a similar problem before heading down a different path. 

GlobalRotationg_FlowTraj.PNG