2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2019 10:33 AM by Brian Stoddard

Importing a Parasolid with an ellipse feature fails

Brian Stoddard

Has anyone had this problem??  I exported a file from Creo as a Parasolid and tried importing it into Solidworks. If there is an ellipse features, it will not allow that Parasolid to import.  I get a "Data Invalid" error.  I thought it was because of where it was place in relation to the other features in my model.  However, I created a single feature of just an ellipse in a new part.  Same thing happens.  Don't know how to get around this.

The problem originated because the original file didn't export properly as a STP file without changing the accuracy of the part slightly.  I was told by our VAR that Solidworks is based of the same kernel platform as a Parasolid so exporting it that way would have been preferred.

Using SW 2017

• Re: Importing a Parasolid with an ellipse feature fails
          Paul Salvador

Hello Brian,.. well, Creo is not based on the parasolid kernel.. but yes, it can export a parasolid file.. so, the translated export accuracy may have been lost then and possibly again (unlikley) with the when imported into SW ((that is, 2 possible translations have occurred)?

Personally, when I did exports from Creo (Pro/e).. the order of good topology outcomes were IGES, STEP and last Parasolid.

Although, the direct open (import) of the Creo (Pro/e) *.prt or *.asm was always getting better.. so, I'd suggest you try the direct open (import) of the Creo (Pro/e) *.prt file.

..also note:.. "3D Interconnect" was added in 2017 so,. that new translator may also help you get a better *.prt read?

• Re: Importing a Parasolid with an ellipse feature fails
              Brian Stoddard

Paul,

Thanks for the response. The only reason why I tried exporting the file from Creo as a Parasolid is because a STP file was sent to a vendor and they had problems with it.  When I opened that STP file in SW, there were some weird things happening in some areas with full rounds.  I'm not sure what the problems the vendor was having or what program they were importing into. Changing the accuracy slightly solved that problem.  I tried export as a Parasolid to compare the results and that's where I came across the import issue.

Also, we have started using 3D Interconnect.  That is working fine.