2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2019 11:37 AM by Rich Fagioli

How best to simulate wire shelving w/o using solids?

Jeffrey Model

I'm working on a basic layout of a workshop which has a bunch of metro racks in it. It's a pretty simple model, but the wire shelves from the racks are modeled as solids and that is bringing the polygon count close to 2 million and Visualize is choking on the model as a result.

Is there a good way to replicate the shelves without using solids? I see there are some mesh appearances available in the cloud. Is there something along those lines which I could use?

I don't think I'm running into a hardware limit as the CPU mostly sits under 20% utilization, Visualize doesn't seem to grab much more than 20GB of RAM, and my SSD sits idle. I just get the spinning ring for 20 minutes while Visualize tries to open the file.

*edit*

It actually gets hung up at significantly under the utilization mentioned above. Here it is hung up trying to save the model immediately after I opened the SW native:

• Re: How best to simulate wire shelving w/o using solids?
          Rob Edwards

Hi Jeffrey

I don't have much experience with visualize (I'm on standard), but I know this works inside SW so guess it's ok.

If you can't find what you're looking for online you can create your own perforated texture easy enough. Check out this post reply #20

Wire Mesh for Filtration

• Re: How best to simulate wire shelving w/o using solids?
            Rich Fagioli

Jeffrey Model wrote:

Is there a good way to replicate the shelves without using solids? I see there are some mesh appearances available in the cloud. Is there something along those lines which I could use?

Jeffrey;

I routinely use photoshop to create my own textures. Here, I had to create engineering graph paper to use as both backdrop and scale for the parts exhibited:

6x6x6_Accessories 8.jpg

Your racks are not very different in execution. You'd simply need to create your rack texture (and alpha channel) in photoshop such that it replicates sensibly along the long axis in Visualize. You'd probably have to try out a couple of different scales for your application. The caveat is that this is fairly advanced photoshopping, but perfectly doable.

Visualize is often a PITA to use, but being able to create custom textures in Photoshop is pretty cool.

Postscript...

So, just for grins, I built an appearance as described above. I didn't spend a lot of time on it, and you can tell because there are three gaps in the rack indicating mismatch between head and tail of the texture. A couple of extra minutes being careful would have fixed that.

Untitled Project 2.jpg

It's far from perfect, but it's a start, and if you have dozens of these things in your assembly, they'll take zero room: it's just an appearance applied to a flat plane. Here are a few appearance specifics:

Hope that helps!