AnsweredAssumed Answered

How can I make a regular polygon that is adaptive from a spreadsheet value?

Question asked by Brad Gefroh on Feb 1, 2019
Latest reply on Feb 4, 2019 by Brad Gefroh

Hello forum!

I'm an ME student at UAA, and I'm in need of some assistance. I'm trying to make a part file that contains several adaptive polygons that can be extruded and lofted, while being able to change shape and scale from a spreadsheet value. So far, I have played with the polygon tool and while I CAN modify it to suit my needs, the # of sides value cannot be linked to a spreadsheet. I have also managed to use equations and circular patterns to generate a polygon of any size and shape that I want, but it then misbehaves when trying to extrude or loft.

They are being treated as individual lines, while I need them to behave as a sort of jointed profile, but I don't know how to do that.

Here is the variable list that I made to generate the shapes, which I believe SHOULD make perfect normal polygons, but they don't quite fit. If I zoom in preposterously far, I can find that the endpoints of my lines to not properly coincide, I don't know if this is part of the problem or not...

Is there a way Solidworks can be made to automatically recognize this as a usable profile for extrusions and lofts?

If anyone knows an easier/faster/more professional way to make something like this, I'm all ears. I just want it to be adaptive and responsive in every conceivable way... Is that so much to ask?

-Brad G.

Outcomes