20 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2019 8:12 AM by David Sloop

Parts with the same part number- Issues with PDM

Daniel Cazarez

Hi to everyone, i have a little trouble with my solidworks part, i want to share my components with other people but i need to make sure they wont make changes in my parts cuz when they send back to me i have problems to upload in PDM (if i try to upload one of this "changed parts" and i already has it in PDM, the system will recognize it and the "changed parts" will not have the changes made for the people with whom i shared the first parts.

Have you ever seen something like this or someone know how can i trait with this issue?

• Re: Parts with the same part number- Issues with PDM
          Dan Bovinich

not really understanding what you're trying to do. Maybe rephrase what you said above.

Daniel Cazarez

Hi Dan! sorry for my redaction, I wrote this same message in another two answers:

In the place I work we share with our suppliers a complete assembly of our references machines, we have a deal with our suppliers, they should make a new part number with their nomenclature when they need modify one or more of our reference parts, the problem is they aren't making this changes, I mean, in some cases, they modify our part numbers but they don't modify the name and summary information/ data card of them, so when we are trying to upload the machines our suppliers design we find this problem cuz we cannot upload the part modified by them (this would change our original part number in all of our designs) and this "changed parts" by them should have a name with their own nomenclature, we have suppliers that use to do this correctly and we don't have troubles there, but when our suppliers modify our parts we need to review which parts have been modified by them one per one to assign another kind of nomenclature and that take a lot of time than estimated to upload the new machines.

I've tried with different options I saw in solid works help, I tried with system options- External references but I could't see the changed parts or lock them, I do not know if PDM or solid works has a kind of option help me with this issue. We also use to lock the design tree of the parts, so we can see when some external (without access our PDM) modifiy our parts, but that is just to internal practice that also take a lot time to review.

Please let me know if you have some technique or if you know about some tool helpful with this trouble.

Thank you so much for your time and for your previous answer

Justin Pires

If you don't want them to make changes to the parts save off as a new file name, or don't take back their "changed" parts.

Daniel Cazarez

Hi Justin, the problem with this is we need to review part by part that our suppliers are sending to us in order to make sure the parts that we shared as reference for them doesn't have changes, and if they changed them they have sent them to us with their own nomenclature.

I would like to know if solid works/ PDM have a kind of option allow me block or protect the files in order when they use our parts they need to make a save as of the parts.

Thank you for your answer, if you know about some tool that could help me, please let me know it.

Christian Chu

Like @dan, I'm not clear of your question

Are other people the users of the PDM you're using? if not, why you worry if the components are not checked out

Daniel Cazarez

Hi Christian, sorry for my redaction, I will try to be more clear,

In the place I work we share with our suppliers a complete assembly of our references machines, we have a deal with our suppliers, they should make a new part number with their nomenclature when they need modify one or more of our reference parts, the problem is they aren't making this changes, I mean, in some cases, they modify our part numbers but they don't modify the name and summary information/ data card of them, so when we are trying to upload the machines our suppliers design we find this problem cuz we cannot upload the part modified by them (this would change our original part number in all of our designs) and this "changed parts" by them should have a name with their own nomenclature, we have suppliers that use to do this correctly and we don't have troubles there, but when our suppliers modify our parts we need to review which parts have been modified by them one per one to assign another kind of nomenclature and that take a lot of time than estimated to upload the new machines.

I've tried with different options I saw in solid works help, I tried with system options- External references but I couldn't see the changed parts or lock them, I don't know if PDM or solid works has a kind of option that help me with this issue, we also use to lock the design tree of the parts, so we can see when some external (without access our PDM) modifiy our parts, but that is just a internal practice that also take much time to review.

Please let me know if you have some technique or if you know about some tool helpful with this

Thank you so much for your previous answer

Christian Chu

Daniel Cazarez wrote:

Hi Christian, sorry for my redaction, I will try to be more clear,

I've tried with different options I saw in solid works help, I tried with system options- External references but I couldn't see the changed parts or lock them, I don't know if PDM or solid works has a kind of option that help me with this issue, we also use to lock the design tree of the parts, so we can see when some external (without access our PDM) modifiy our parts, but that is just a internal practice that also take much time to review.

Please let me know if you have some technique or if you know about some tool helpful with this

Thank you so much for your previous answer

is "Part Number" a file name or "Part Number" is a Custom Property?

if "Part Number" is a file name and your supplier saved the assembly and checkin, I don't see a  reason why you can't upload modified parts?

if "Part Number" is a CusProp, then you can't because the assembly couldn't find the correct internal ID

I'd suggest using configurations in the assembly if you don't want to track down version or revision changed

Daniel Cazarez

Part number is the file name but is a custom property too, our suppliers don't have access to PDM so they can modify the parts (outside of PDM, in local directions) and I just can see it if I review the dimensions in 2D's, actually to make it faster is use a macro to clean the "Number" in custom properties to all the parts in the start we shared as references, but nevertheless I am creating new parts numbers should've not had been created, all of this is this because we work with a lot of machines to upload in PDM and review all of them drawing per drawing is so much wasted time.

I tried without tracking the revisions changed but this will make I discriminate the changes made by our suppliers (the fact they made changes in our references is not correct, but we need that changed parts).

I'm so thankful with you Christian, if you have another different idea, please let me know it.

David Sloop

If you are sending parts to people by email, or any other way outside of the vault, then you are inviting problems.

If you have ownership of the part in PDM, nobody else should be able to check in any changed parts.

If you are trying to check it back in, after getting it back from someone you shared with outide of pdm, then you aren't using pdm correctly.

One issue is that if they open it on a different version of Solidworks, then pdm will think the file changed, even if they din't do anything, besides open it and look at it.

If they printed it to pdf, or their printer, and then saved it, solidworks pdm will recognize it as being changed.

PDM rules exist for a reason, and sharing files outside of the pdm system just bypasses them.

Daniel Cazarez

Hi David, first of all, sorry for my late answer and thank you for taking the time to answer me.

Thank you so much David.

Adrian Velazquez

If you have a file Checked-Out in PDM you can perform a Drag-&-Drop (or Cut/Paste) from your external folder into the PDM folder where the file already exist.  The files need to have the exact same file name, then Windows will overwrite the checked-out file in PDM (you'll get a warning). Once that is complete you can check-in the file. This will preserve the history in PDM for that file.

Daniel Cazarez

Hi Adrian, thanks for your answer, I didn't know about that option, I think it could be helpful, but nevertheless i would prefer not save the changes they made in our parts (because this parts in a lot of cases are master references to us and we share them with different suppliers and this would make we save every changes our suppliers make in them, this will be different of our initial masters) I was thinking in something like block or put a kind of password to the files for when suppliers use our parts they be obligated to use save as and put a new name with their own nomenclature, but I don't know about some option of Solid Works/ PDM like that if you know about some different Solid Works/PDM  technique or tool please let me know it, that would be helpful

Thank you so much for you answer Adrian, I really appreciate it.

Paul Risley

This is more of a communication issue than a Solidworks issue, no fault of yours, but rather your customer. When sending the assembly file to your customer if you have a process and they are not following it, then it becomes a massive headache.

We used to do this as well, but went to e-drawings share only with customers years ago for the same reason you are seeing.

My suggestion would be pack and go your assembly to an offline folder with a suffix say "A" added for the first version sent, "B" for the second and so on. While this will not help in showing you what they changed it will help when you get it back so there is no leftover part numbers cross referencing.

As far as  I know there would be no easy way to see what parts they modified or changed when sending it back to you as once they send it it should have a modified date by the part number in your folder. It might show only the parts being modified with a later date than all others, it might not.That will depend on how they saved it. Unfortunately it still puts the burden on you and your company to go through the whole assembly compared to the one saved in your network to figure out what changed and what stayed the same.

My simple suggestion would be to ask them to change the display of all changed parts either color code them at the part level or make them transparent in the assembly. Since changing a part number is not something they are willing to do a display change is fairly quick and painless.

David Sloop

As long as you are having someone work on your files outside of PDM, you are going to have issues.

This is just not a good workflow.

If you want your customer to have input on the design, you should have them redline prints, and make the changes yourselves.

That's the way it has been done in every place I've ever worked. Having someone work on files outside of the pdm is just not good practice.