AnsweredAssumed Answered

Magnetic mates with multiple angled ground planes

Question asked by Jenny West on Jan 29, 2019

Hi everyone, I work with 3D sketches and compound angles often and have recently trying to adopt magnetic mates into my workflow. I do currently use mate reference, but magnetic mate would be so much more flexible for my work. Unfortunately I have not been successful with my attempts and would like to see if anyone have solved this yet. In the example assembly (SW2019) I am trying to use magnetic mates to mate the bolt face to the end of the rods.

Please note the following points:

1. base sketch of the rods have compound angles

2. GROUND PLANE of ASSET PUBLISHER is the TOP PLANE

3. the way I have defined the magnetic points directions is perpendicular to the rods (since it "must" be parallel to the GROUND PLANE, nothing else seems to work)

4. the magnetic point of the bolt also has a perpendicular direction and the GROUND PLANE is its face (to match the rods)

5. in the ASSEMBLY file, I have defined 3 new ground planes, 1 at each end of the rod (new enhancement of SW2018 to perform better magnetic mates)

When I try to mate them, I get an an over defined mating error. I am guessing the current limitation of magnetic mates is that any new GROUND PLANE that is not parallel to the main part's will not work. I would appreciate any pros taking a stab at this and see if any solution is possible. Cheers and thank you.

CAP2.jpg

CAP.jpg

CAP3.jpg

Attachments

Outcomes