8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2019 8:02 AM by Alex Lachance

E-drawings Pro VR crashes

josh curry

As per my previous post I started using E-drawings pro 2019 VR viewer. I am running into issues with the program started to load my drawing but would crash out before it could finish loading the assembly to the main menu before selecting play VR. My question to everyone is there a file size limit for drawings to be loaded? or is it once you hit a certain number of components the software just can't handle it in VR? the machine I am running this on is as below and it is a very powerful system. or are there some setting changes i can do to have the software handle my larger assemblies? I have files that can be 70mb+ or from 4000-9200 components. any help would be appreciated.

windows 10 pro
      Intel I9 @ 3.6 GHz
      asus Z390-E motherboard
      Zotac 2080 Ti RTX graphics card
      samsung 970 evo SSD drive
      64GB DDR4 ram

• Re: E-drawings Pro VR crashes
          Alex Lachance

My first guess would be that your graphic card might not be supported. I haven't really seen any problems with file size and number of components and I've had files go up to 120MB and with 12k components. Perhaps they weren't as huge in terms of superficy tough. I also haven't used the V.R. either.

Nice set-up tough

josh curry

when it comes to running drawings/assemblies in the normal e-drawing pro everything loads fine with zero issues. actually the graphics card renders a 9100 part assembly wonderfully though. I only have the issue when trying to do the same assembly in the "open in VR" with the HTC Vive headset. but most drawings under 50mb load fine in the headset. also anyone out there that hasn't tried viewing your assemblies through a HTC vive GO DO IT!!!! it is incredible to do and you are able to get a full feel of your design and any flaws that you might not notice in 2D.

Arnav Mukherjee

Hi Josh,

Just a guess here but do you have Speedpack? We have seen a bug with assemblies that have Speedpacks in the "Open in VR (Beta)" mode. If that is the case, I'd suggest you load the assembly in SOLIDWORKS resolve them, as well load the assembly in Full Resolved mode, Rebuild and Save.

One other test would be to open a simple model and see if it is working properly.

Thanks

Arnav

josh curry

UPDATE!!!

hello everyone i have an update on the issue. i was finding that if i had any lightweight objects in the drawing i would get some crash. but if i fully resolve the drawing and save it then everything worked. i did find that pulling the drawing off the network and do a pack and go worked best. so thank you everyone for the tips and help.

I do have to admit though the movement about the drawing on VR need an improvement. it would be nice to be able to fly around or move the world how ever you see fit. being stuck to teleport only is not good. it has been very limiting.

Alex Lachance

Hey Josh,

Do you have the warning that tells you if lightweight components need to be updated? I've had problems with lightweight before. The 2 problems I had were either that the lightweight component had multiple configurations in it and that it would use the wrong one, or that the lightweight component needed updating.

josh curry

Yep turns out that was checked. but I never got any error messages when the E-drawings pro crashed. So until I opened the drawing in solidworks I had no idea the some of the assemblies still had light weight set on them. My learned lesson is to always open a drawing in solidworks first and check it. Then try the VR through E-drawings pro.

Alex Lachance

Sorry Josh, I had forgotten you were speaking of eDrawings. Lightweight is a user setting that isn't part or assembly dependant, which means your eDrawing shouldn't be affected by the lightweight mode from your SolidWorks. It could be affected tough by models not being up to date.

Regards