4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2019 11:40 AM by Ron Bates

Rendering Failure & Performance Inconsistency

Justin Dailey

I've spent days trying to get my animation project to render. I keep getting "background render failed" message at frame #4. I was trying to render at 4k 60fps 300dpi on realistic setting. I've tried the following including combinations without success:

• Lowering resolution, frame rate, and dpi
      • Clearing temp directory
      • CPU only & GPU only settings
      • One GPU installed
      • Closing all other programs
      • Different file locations (completely different drives)
      • Updating to 2019 SP1
      • Re-creating animation in 2018
      • Running on a different PC
      • And more that I can't think of right now

My PC:

1950X TR CPU

64GB System Ram

RTX 2080ti + 2X GTX 1080FE's

Other PC:

7700K CPU

32GB System Ram

Quadro P4000

Both are running Samsung nvme pice SSD's; temperatures are fine

My project is 2.5M polygons and file size is just over 100MB. It takes 10 mins to open and 15-20 mins to start an animation render. The animation is 30 seconds long.

The only thing that has not completely failed is lowering setting to "fast". However, it starts fast and then slows way down and has sped up once and then slowed down again. The lower I set my other settings, it seems to render fast for longer.

Visualize Data Log.jpg

Questions:

• What are the major factors of file size?
      • Why does visualize run so slow on a seemingly fast computer?
      • What can cause "background render failed" error?
      • Why does the CPU & GPU usage go up and down?
      • Any other ideas to try? Or are my expectations out of line and there's no way this should work in the first place?
      • Who do I invoice my time to?
        • Re: Rendering Failure & Performance Inconsistency
          Ron Bates

Justin,

See  my latest reply in this thread for some information pertaining to memory consumption: https://forum.solidworks.com/message/927667?et=watches.email.thread#comment-927667

I would say each of your questions, has multiple answers and potentially more questions in reply.  Although your hardware setup should handle the geometry OK.  I'm very curious myself why it would fail...  if you can share the dataset with us (SW internal only), I'll try to take a look.  PM me if you can share...

I'll take a stab at your questions  ..but these will be very abridged answers b/c as I said it can be quite complicated...

Geometry size (mesh size...ie polygon count) and other assets in the project.  ie HDRs, textures, etc.

Vague question.  "run so slow" as in the render is slow...or the entire application (ie even UI) is slow?  Both?  But generally if it's rendering slower than you think it should, then it has silently fallen back to CPU only mode...the log files would tell us this.  Usually a silent fallback to CPU is due to a failure to allocate GPU memory... see below.

Generally this occurs due to running out of memory (VRAM).  Sometimes the render will continue in CPU only mode...so it won't fail but simply run much slower. After the render, even the viewport will be using CPU only (despite the status bar stating otherwise).  But in some cases, the internal render engine can't even recover from the failed memory allocation, and it just quits.  Again...log files (%programdata%/SOLIDWORKS/SOLIDWORKS Visualize 2019/Logs") would tell us more...

Up and down how much?  At what points?  I mean...if you're using Hybrid rendering, then they will both go up and down and various times as they both handle various loads.  What is the expectation?

• Any other ideas to try? Or are my expectations out of line and there's no way this should work in the first place?

Per the aforementioned thread...you could try using Queue or simply exiting Visualize as soon as the render starts.  Besides, that we need a reproducible case, more information, etc. to really give much better recommendations...

• Who do I invoice my time to?

No comment .  But I do feel your pain.  Again, PM me if you want me to try and take a look at the scene...

Justin Dailey

Thanks Ron.  PM'd.  I wanted to reply here as well so some of these issue can be address publicly. 

Geometry size (mesh size...ie polygon count) and other assets in the project.  ie HDRs, textures, etc.

It's a relatively large size model but it's not very complicated or has very many components.

Vague question.  "run so slow" as in the render is slow...or the entire application (ie even UI) is slow?  Both?  But generally if it's rendering slower than you think it should, then it has silently fallen back to CPU only mode...the log files would tell us this.  Usually a silent fallback to CPU is due to a failure to allocate GPU memory... see below.

Slow as in taking a long time to load a project, time to start a rendering, saving, and view port performance.  When it falls back on CPU mode, should it still be using 100% of the CPU? When mine starts to render slow, it's only using 8% of the CPU.

Generally this occurs due to running out of memory (VRAM).  Sometimes the render will continue in CPU only mode...so it won't fail but simply run much slower. After the render, even the viewport will be using CPU only (despite the status bar stating otherwise).  But in some cases, the internal render engine can't even recover from the failed memory allocation, and it just quits.  Again...log files (%programdata%/SOLIDWORKS/SOLIDWORKS Visualize 2019/Logs") would tell us more...

What percent of vram usage is considered "out of memory"?  I've never seen it max out but I have seen it get within 1GB of total vram.  However, now on "fast" setting, it doesn't fail but slows down to almost zero usage of GPU's and 8% CPU but it's only using 5GB of 8GB of vram.

Up and down how much?  At what points?  I mean...if you're using Hybrid rendering, then they will both go up and down and various times as they both handle various loads.  What is the expectation?

See hardware log in original post.  Usage of both basically goes from 100% to almost 0%.  Note time stamps.

Thanks again for the help.

Jeffrey Model

Posted in the other thread before seeing this one. The problem you're having sounds almost exactly like the problem I've been having ever since changing to 20-series GPUs. It doesn't seem to correlate much with scene complexity as I run into the same lack of stability even with very simple scenes.

As a result of the instability, I have essentially shelved Visualize in favor of software packages which don't crash.