31 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2019 11:11 AM by Frederick Law

Best time to upgrade to SW 2019?

Mike Thompson

Hey guys,

I have a basic question, with regard to deciding when to upgrade. I have a lot of Inventor experience, but only about 1.5 years on SW. Inventor was known for adding a lot of content in one release, and implementing a lot of bug fixes in the next. Is SW similar, in your opinion? If so, which cycle would you consider 2018 vs. 2019?

I am in a new position with a new company and have been tasked to help decide.

I also have had a wise few folks recommend to always wait for the first service pack to avoid being a test rabbit. Any ideas how far out that will be for 2019, and do many of you agree with that logic?

Thanks!

• Re: Best time to upgrade to SW 2019?
          John Layne

There are a few threads covering this over the years.

Latest ones on 2019

Service Pack Schedule

SW2019 SP0 extremely slow / lagging

Dennis Dohogne

Recently, either this week or last week, SP1.0 for SWX2019 was released.  SWX2018 is on its last SP, 5.0.  I'm still using SWX2018SP5.0.  I did have some problems with SWX2019SP0.0 and have not used SP1.0 enough to know if those problems have been fixed.  However, there have been some recent posts on this forum about the fixes people did see with SP1.0.  Search the forum for such a post within the last week to learn more.

Mike Thompson

So if we go down this path (I'm currently the only user here) and we decide to drop back to 2018, will I be able to open any of the models I had opened and updated to 2019?

I suspect no, but need to confirm.

Steve Lovell

Hi Mike,

SW 2018 has been a great release for me, I've tried SW 2019 and found it very poor.

Go with 2018 sp5 for now if you need to get real work done.

However 2019 edrawings has massive performance gains.

Cheers,

Steve.

Alin Vargatu

Many of our customers are scheduling the upgrade to SW 2019 once SP2.0 is out.

Frederick Law

I always install multiple versions (Inventor and Solidworks).

Working on the old and testing on the new.

Keeping files separate so I can 'fall back' to old version anytime.

Right now I'm using 2019 SP1 on a smaller part of the project.

So far, so good.

Let see how it goes when I start detailing.

Adrian Velazquez

In my experience the best time to upgrade is when YOU will have time to test out the latest service pack extensively. Run that on a couple of machines and perform common task and interactions your team executes.

I have seen inconsistency in terms of establishing a "Stable SP" for all releases.

I'm currently testing SP1 for 2019, and the official release we are running is 2018 SP3.

Steven Billeter

Most of the places I have worked have waited until SP3.0 or later to upgrade so that more of the initial bugs fixed. The other argument is too go earlier and then flush out any bugs which you can pass along to your VAR. That way those may be fixed in earlier service packs and you can move to those when one or more of you bugs are gone.

Nadia Shea

Here are my comments.

SOLIDWORKs is not Microsoft. There is no need to wait till SP2.

I upgrade at SP 0  and even beta versions (due to my business needs) with little issues. Under my companies control, we upgrade over 100 computers to SP 0, with little issues with the install/upgrade procedure or functionality. Our computers are used to train user in all products, including sim and pdm, as well as all modelling functions.

There is no (relatively) new functions released  in service packs. Therefore upgrading sp throughout year is generally a waste of time unless you communicate with your VAR to verify a behavior you’re seeing is a known issue filed as a SPR (bug, enhancement request) and actually marked resolve in the SP you’re upgrading too.

Solidworks works really hard on their product, has open beta testing, and doesn’t want anyone to be a guinea pig. That being said, the few sp’s I have seen yanked has occurred within one to two business days of it being released. So I would wait a day or two after release date.

One could argue there are ‘less bugs’ in later service packs but what does it matter if those bugs don’t affect your every day, every user work?

Don’t wait till SP 5. If you do find that one bug that affects your productivity, you basically have no window to report that to SOLIDWORKS to get it repaired in that major version.

In so far as install/upgrade issues per major version/sp, most of those have been caused by updates in Windows tryng to close security loops.

Listen to others but bear in mind their scope of previous usage. I would argue I have a wider breath of experience but the con is that i’m  not aware of or considering your specifics. I have seen a team get taken down by a bug in one feature that they rely on all the time. It was not fun for anyone. Even a VAR is challenged on predicting that as they service tons of clients and don’t remember every single odd open SPR.

Do what makes you or your business comfortable. (I just stick my oar in because I perceive an unreasonable fear of SP 0 for SOLIDWORKS).

And nothing beats just testing in your own environment. Spin up a test environment or install on copy on a separate machine and let users play with some copies of file. Investing in resources for that kind of project is what will ultimately allow you to make an educated decision and not based on other’s unique experiences.

Dan Golthing

Hopefully you're getting some sort of commission for your support, but many of us have had show-stopping issues when upgrading before SP3.  It's not hard to find such people venting on the forum throughout the years.  I've seen companies come to a standstill because they upgraded before a new release had it's major bugs flushed out.  It's happened to me as well.  Once I lost several weeks simply from upgrading too soon.

Don't believe me?  Just go and read all of the Service Pack bug fixes. YIKES!!  this is what you are accepting by early adoption.

Most companies don't have the luxury of rolling back a version and redoing all the work that was lost when upgrading too early. 

Setting up a new machine and testing the new version sounds great, but there's a good chance you won't find problems until you're actually using the software and not just tinkering with it.

The solution to all of this is a much more robust Beta program.

I do thank your company for being early-adopters of the software so that people like you can figure out the bugs before I get to it.

Alin Vargatu

Dan Golthing wrote:

I do thank your company for being early-adopters of the software so that people like you can figure out the bugs before I get to it.

Nadia's point is they will "figure out" their bugs, not necessarily yours.

Dan Golthing

I consider all bugs my bugs.  Any bug has a potential to bite me in the A$$, therefore I appreciate all the optimistic companies that install the early releases and help report all the bugs, so that by the time I install it, I don't run into those bugs!

I do resent, though, that I can't install SP0, SP1, or SP2 confidently even though I've paid for it.

Should not drastic measures be taken to repair the Beta program to the point that we COULD have a reliable SP0?  Am I asking too much here?

Dennis Dohogne

Dan Golthing wrote:

I consider all bugs my bugs. Any bug has a potential to bite me in the A$$, therefore I appreciate all the optimistic companies that install the early releases and help report all the bugs, so that by the time I install it, I don't run into those bugs!

I do resent, though, that I can't install SP0, SP1, or SP2 confidently even though I've paid for it.

Should not drastic measures be taken to repair the Beta program to the point that we COULD have a reliable SP0? Am I asking too much here?

NOPE!

ONE and TWO

Rick Becker did the world of SWX users a whole lotta good by starting that thread.

Matt Peneguy

Dennis Dohogne wrote:

Dan Golthing wrote:

I consider all bugs my bugs. Any bug has a potential to bite me in the A$$, therefore I appreciate all the optimistic companies that install the early releases and help report all the bugs, so that by the time I install it, I don't run into those bugs!

Should not drastic measures be taken to repair the Beta program to the point that we COULD have a reliable SP0? Am I asking too much here?

NOPE!

ONE and TWO

Rick Becker did the world of SWX users a whole lotta good by starting that thread.

Dan Golthing and Dennis Dohogne know this.  But anyone else reading this thread needs to read With SW2017 SP2 we are seeing frequent corrupt files in assemblies. That wasn't quite 2 years ago. I remember what Jim Steinmeyer went through and I'm thankful that I wasn't in his shoes.  Upgrading SW can have serious consequences to your company.  So, definitely test it out before you move to a new version or you could end up regretting it.

Jim Steinmeyer

Guess which year I had convinced the guys here to upgrade before SP3. Now we are back to waiting.

M. B.

1-2Z6Y3OX wrote:

...Upgrading SW can have serious consequences to your company...

Engineers, designers, or IT generally don't suffer any consequences for the decision to install buggy software except for the possibility of an unfair annual performance review.  They'll still get full pay.  Given Solidworks track record, business owners and executives will never agree with employees who believe upgrading earlier is better than waiting.  It'll take years for SW to repair their reputation for buggy releases but only if they see a tangible reason to do so.

Mike Thompson

Thanks all, for your input! I appreciate your time and efforts!

Frederick Law

I have to say, so far so good with 2019 SP1.

Converted old project to 2019.  Updated drawings.

Create new master sketch, new part, new weldment, new drawing.

Import igs, STEP.

Not any more annoying then 2018

David Nelson

To me when to change depends on how the current version/Service pack is doing.  With 2018 sp5 I will wait 18 has been good to me.  I can't remember which one it was 13 or 14 I was ready for the new one on SP0.

Maha Nadarasa

It is up to the purpose of SWX you use. If you want to open latest version file in your previous version then it is good to check with others to confirm the authenticity of the latest version, before you upgrade yours.

I am telling this because I had a bitter experience of blindly upgrading from SWX 2018 SP5 to SWX 2019 SP0.