AnsweredAssumed Answered

Using sheet metal functionality 3 different ways to make the same part results in 3 different bend line dimensions

Question asked by Michael Cilles on Jan 14, 2019
Latest reply on Jan 15, 2019 by Tateos Tvapanyan

Hello this is my first post here, I am having a problem creating a sheet metal part. I found out there is more than one way to create sheet metal parts and wanted to explore which was easiest. The part created was a simple 2 bend Z shape at 90° and 3 9/16" wide. So I created the same exact part three different ways, one from creating the the "bottom of the Z" first and using base flange/tab and creating the other legs with edge flange. The second trial I drew the part from the side with all 3 legs using base flange/tab to essentially extrude it. The third trial I created the part and converted it to sheet metal. I loaded all of the parts in an assembly and made sure that they were all dimensionally identical, and they were. The problem arises when creating drawings of the parts. The over all flat pattern lengths vary from 12.13" to 13.10" with differing dimensions to the bend lines. My main concern is which way do I trust on a larger part when it can be an inch off on a 12 inch part.

Can someone shed some light on how this could be? or which to trust. I will include the drawings for reference.

Edit: I also added the 3 parts. On a side note I haven't messed with the bend tables or modified the K factor at all ( I didn't go in and check them yet either before adding the models which I am going to go do now) Also this is a non essential part I just wanted to figure this out before a more critical part will come up at work.

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

Outcomes