AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to limit mate angles when the range exceeds 360 degrees?

Question asked by Topi Talvitie on Jan 14, 2019
Latest reply on Jan 14, 2019 by Topi Talvitie

Hello everyone,

I have been reading this forum a lot and leeching on all of your collective experience. Thank you all for that

Now the time has become for my very own question.

My goal is to make a model of a robot that would have the same freedoms of movement as the real robot. I have already made all the mates for the joints and those works as expected. Simply concentric and coincident/distance mates.

Next step would be to limit the movement of the joints according to real-world limitations. I have the data I need for each joint as positive and negative degrees from the zero position. When I have a joint that moves anything below 360° there is no problem (I can work around the negative degree). But as I try to make a limit lets say -185°/185° ( a total of 370° range) those minimum and maximum values change to represent only that 10° movement between the two endpoints.

So my question is. Is there a way to get limit angle mate to work with total movement range over 360°?

I have considered making a mechanical device (that would be hidden in the assembly) that uses rack&pinion, gears, or spiral slots to restrict the movement. But this seems to be a very unsophisticated workaround.

I have been trying to find an answer to my problem from here as well as any other place Google and I came up to. I hope there is just some simple tab in some option that I just haven't realized

-Topi

Outcomes