18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2019 8:51 AM by Frederick Law

How was your first day as a new employee?

Alexis Rouvas

I have graduated the university recently and I have a BSc in Mechanical Engineering. I have very low proficiency in CAD programs. I don't have any experience as a mechanical engineer. Therefore, I feel an excitement when I will be applying for a job. Please, can you tell me about your experience and feelings when you was a freshmen in mech. engineering? How was your first day as a new employee?

• Re: How was your first day as a new employee?
          Frederick Law

It was good.

They told me I replaced one that lasted half a day on the job.  Took off at lunch and never came back.

I lasted 3 years.

Now I'm 'first day as a new employee' probably 10 times

Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

My first interview was with Manager of engineering department "Eng. Oscar Gentile" he told what he need to I did it, so they gave me, trainning on each different areas.

First was a copy drawing, little modification on an air conditioning central.

Then after 1 year a projet for conduit on sheet metal.

With this man I learnt bunch of things very useful.

He was my mentor to enter on Visteon Arg. 3 year later.

My first day, I was little nervous

Pay attention on each challenge, think by 5 minutes before you start any projet and walk and walk

Glenn Schroeder

Congratulations on your graduation.

Joel Gilbert

Congratulations on graduating and best of luck in the world of engineering!

I've had many different jobs, in many different fields, but first days are always different. Some places you are working on live projects by the end of the first day, most places you'll be doing HR stuff, meeting people, getting setup on the computer system/network, etc.

When I started my current job there was significant downtime waiting for my accounts to get setup for my workstation, network drives and SOLIDWORKS. I spent several days reading every product manual, brochure and technical bulletin I could find relating to the products the company manufactures. I also got to spend time out in the shop watching and talking to the people doing the various manufacturing processes, which helped me understand the capabilities and preferences of the shop.

I think one of the hardest things is getting familiar with the terminology and acronyms that are used, as every company and industry has their own "language" to make it easier to make sure everyone is talking about the same thing. At my current job we have multiple product lines from companies that have been acquired by the parent company, and each has their own terminology for certain things that is different from the other brands.

J. Mather

Thought I was going to be teaching CAD.

Showed up for work and they handed me my schedule with a penciled in (how appropriate) drawing board class. (Mind you, I hadn't used a drawing board in years.)

Had to teach that class for 2 years.

James Riddell

J. Mather wrote:

Thought I was going to be teaching CAD.

Showed up for work and they handed me my schedule with a penciled in (how appropriate) drawing board class. (Mind you, I hadn't used a drawing board in years.)

Had to teach that class for 2 years.

IMHO every engineer or designer should have at least one term of manual drafting. KUDOS!

James Riddell

I grew up on a farm so my first day as an employee was easy since it was only 8 hours of work and not much physical labor.

Joffrey Leigh

My first day on this job was not typical.  I got this job because my previous employer was slowing things down, and one of his customers contacted him about hiring me on to bring 3D CAD into their company.  So my first day was assembling my workstation and loading all the programs on that I needed, including SW.  They had made all of the purchases, just needed someone to put everything together and run it.

I have been creating 3D files of existing and current projects since.  I have also worked many different fields, and jobs.  Don't be over anxious, at the same time don't be scared to try something new.  Most jobs now require you to wear many different hats at the same time.  Every company has a different set of rules, and every employee/employer has a different interpretation of them.  Just find what works for you.

David Nelson

Was still in School but was doing a works study.  So it was not that bad.  But right after I graduated and was Hired on management changed.  Had a real hard time and did not last long after that. Supervisor just could not explain anything.  So they let me go.

Did me a favor the next week I was hired by another company with a $4.00 raise.  Now I'm the only one in the engineer office.   Some things we have to send to Corporate to have a school trained engineer look at.

But I am on the older end of the age barrier.  Kind of set in my ways.  This place I'm at now Knows that.  which makes this a good fit.

Rob Edwards

Hi Alexis

I've got no qualifications to speak of, my first 'real' day of work I was just a temp degreasing tools (injection moulds) prior to engraving.

I was booked in for 2 weeks and stayed 5 years.  Another 20 years later and I'm running the design dept at company I helped found.

My advice is, ask a lot of questions, work hard and be good at your job - try not to upset people and don't be scared to move on.

It's a long life (it flies by) and there are soooo many opportunities.  You can achieve whatever you put your mind to.

Danny Edwards

After I graduated I started with a small firm as a Drafter. I worked with the engineer and detailed parts and assemblies. The company did not stay in business to long (3 years). I had to use Mechanical Desktop. Then went to designing conveyor systems using ACAD. Then they shut down (3 years). Then got on at another small company running a 4 axis CNC mill and doing assemblies for three year. I was let go for it was slowing down and down sizing. Now I design trading desk and consoles with Solidworks. I was brought in because I knew ACAD and was going to help layout floor plans. But I self taught myself Solidworks and my knowledge of CNC programming I am a big benefit to the company now. I can design the desk. Program the Trumpf punch and the laser cutter. Layout the floors in ACAD. I have been here 11 years and counting. I guess I have found a place that likes me and being well round just helps me for later. So when they ask if you are willing to learn something new take it. You never know what life will deal you.