Solidworks 2019 SP01 can export your model to the GLTF format using the XR exporter. The exported GLTF file can be used in XR applications that can open GLTF files.
With eDrawings 2019 SP01 you can open your Solidworks files in VR mode directly. There is no need to convert the data to GLTF.
Thanks so much Eric Hasan !
Other than viewing models in VR and pick/place parts, what are other features when users open in VR mode directly in eDrawings 2019?
Are there any main differences in terms of features between the 2 methods?
Can users also explode/view animations of their models in VR?
I don't think I can find much information on this eDrawings 2019 VR feature yet except for their promotional video.
I've installed eDrawings 2019 SP01, but could not find the VR mode.
Out of interest do you have Windows 10 or Windows 7 as I think this only work on Windows 10.
You should also do the following to enable it,
Hit the windows Key
Search for "Edit the system environment Variables"
Click "Environment Variables"
Under System Variables click "New"
put the variable as "ED_RS_Enable_VR"
set that variable to "true"
open eDrawings 2019 SP1 and it should now work, although still appears to be in Beta
You can find similar info in this thread - eDrawings 2019 Open In VR
Hope this helps.
Hi Joe and Craig,
Craig, you are correct in all your points.
* eDrawings VR is in eD2019SP01 under the environment variable as Craig mentions.
* You do need Windows 10. We had to put this restriction because there are too many issues with the various drivers on Windows 7.
* We are supporting VR on the HTC Vive for now.
* We strongly recommend a nVidia Quadro P3000 and up, depending on the size of SOLIDWORKS assemblies you want to VR. The VR functionality is highly dependent on GPU. Please keep in mind this feature will NOT work on Intel Graphics. On laptops many times this is the default setting. In that case you need to move it to nVidia Graphics. I think it is on Right Mouse Menu
* Once you turn on VR it will look for the VR Resources which is a collection of textures, floors and Skies. The dialog should get you to download automatically. But if not, here is how you do it manually:
* Download from:
* Install this anywhere on your machine. It contains the textures, floors, skies, controller models etc.
* Then go to eDrawings->Options->Import tab and add this location in the "SolidWorks Materials Folder". Click Ok.
* Restart eDrawings.
As long as you have the HTC Vive working properly, you should be able to open any SOLIDWORKS Part or Assembly, set a sky and floor of your choice (you are give a default) and hit the VR Play button.
There is a VR help button that gives you a description of what the buttons do on the controller.