12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2019 3:19 PM by David Suelflow

Moving Origin Issue

Derek Eldridge
      • I have a part file in which someone previously imported a body from a master model. (Part in part)
      • Additional features have been added to the imported body after importing. So the tree contains the imported body and then additional features performed to the imported body.
      • I want to edit the original imported body feature, body move, so that the origin and planes are useful when mating in an assembly. The original body move import feature was aligned to an incorrect user-defined origin.
      • The result in my edit will rotate the model in two axis.
      • This seems to result in the destruction of any sketch utilizing vertical or horizontal sketch mate references.
      • I don't want to add a move to the end of the tree, because this results in the inability to perform in context edits as the model jumps to the original orientation that each feature was created in prior to the move feature.
      • To prep moving all the features in such a way, all features referencing the origin have been removed and replaced with local references or dimensions.
      • We also tried replacing horizontal and vertical mate references with perpendicular and parallel mates to avoid orientation issues with the rotating view.
      • It now appears that dimensions also contain some type of reference to horizontal and vertical.
      • How can I address Horizontal and vertical relationships to dimensions?
        What other feature types do I need to change to prepare for moving the original important body?
      • I do want to maintain editability of the features. So exporting as a solid is not an option.

EDIT 2018-01-10

Recap issue.

1. Sketch references to Origin have been removed for obvious reasons. Replaced with relations to features.
      2. Sketch references to horizontal and vertical were replaced with perpendicular and parallel to remove rotational orientation about the origin.
      3. Edit body move within imported body feature.
      4. Results rotates the model about x such that Z becomes Y. And the origin moves in all 3 X,Y,Z.
      5. Resulting Sketches will not rotate with the change in step 4. (Assuming there is a horizontal and vertical relation imposed on dimensions created in horz and vert.)
      6. Request: How do I remove the dimensional horz and vert relations mentioned in step 5. (Prior to step 3 of course)
        1. Note: This seems to be the same issue when adding dimensions to library features. I've found that the dimensions must be created on an angle, to avoid containing a horz and vert relation. But I'm asking how I remove them, without creating the sketch on an angle, to begin with.

Message was edited by: Derek Eldridge

• Re: Moving Origin Issue
          S. Casale

Share your files?

Sergio Monti

Hi Derek, I could see two options (may be someone else could find other ways):

1) add three new planes to the part in the desired orientation and use them to mate the part in the assembly

2) add the part in a dummy sub-assembly containing only the part you're dealing with, but in the desired orientation and use the dummy sub-assembly as a part to add to the main assembly

Hope it helps

Kelvin Lamport

Set a new UCS

Save as a parasolid specifying the new UCS

Open the parasolid

Run Feature Recognition module

Derek Eldridge

Kelvin Lamport wrote:

Set a new UCS

Save as a parasolid specifying the new UCS

Open the parasolid

Run Feature Recognition module

The geometry is main made of surfacing. So it is too complex of a part for Feature Recognition.

This would also break the link back to the master.

Rob Edwards

Hi Derek

Maybe this helps

Create New planes coincident with the default planes but rotated so that horizontal is now vertical

You would have to move your sketch planes

Derek Eldridge

I added to the original question to try to clarify what I'm looking for.

Rob Edwards

Hi Derek

Request: How do I remove the dimensional horz and vert relations mentioned in step 5. (Prior to step 3 of course)

1. Note: This seems to be the same issue when adding dimensions to library features. I've found that the dimensions must be created on an angle, to avoid containing a horz and vert relation. But I'm asking how I remove them, without creating the sketch on an angle, to begin with.

Do you mean these?

You can also hold down CTRL to stop adding all relations?

Also an easy way to delete them all is using Display/Delete Relations

Tom Gagnon

Without seeing details, my suggestion:

* Rollback to imported body. (before step 2)

* Move imported body. (i.e., Step 2)

* Roll forward to end.

If items are defined by the body, they will move with it. One big exception is if it is rotated, and sketches have vertical or horizontal relations now broken (sounds like you dealt with this in step 2), 3d sketches have AlongX, AlongY, and AlongZ now broken, and possibly features and patterns which relate to directions, planes, and other primary references instead of the body.

Other tools related: Display / Delete Relations

if broken / overdefining, filter by that in the drop down menu and delete the ones named Vertical or Horizontal. Expect the sketch to blow up as it requires redefinition.

If editing before move, not broken yet, you can display all relations and manually select those beginning with Vert, Horiz, or Along, and delete those, then redefine, then rollback and move.

It greatly depends on context, which you aren't showing.

I also have another idea. Start over from the beginning and create it correctly as you wish it to be.

Derek Eldridge

Thank you for all the input. I'll need to recreate an example to fully describe the issue.

I had the problem in 2017sp2. Over the holiday, we upgraded to 2018sp5.

I tried to recreate the issue with a simple solid body, and the features move correctly.

Once I have my design library re-setup, I can try to create the example with one of my library features to show how the dimension restricts rotation if the dimension was created on a vertical or horizontal line.

Unless of course, this was fixed in 2018

Tom Gagnon

I considered this a bit more and came up with an alternative.

Take the part you have, and either import it into another part, or insert and mate it in place into an assembly, then use the assembly references to mate with other components.

It doesn't fix the current item. It redefines how it is handled.

David Suelflow

What if you remove the Horizontal and Vertical relations and replace them with the Fixed, after translation, apply new relations in the new orientation.