15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2019 4:41 PM by S. Casale

Why it takes hours to open a 100M file? It takes 6+ hours to open, please help.

Zhao Jin

I have file that is 100-150Mb and my machine is taking hours to open a file each time. Please advice what to do/check/modify. Thank you!

Machine is with P6000 so I guess the GPU is good enough.

• Re: Why it takes hours to open a 100M file? It takes 6+ hours to open, please help.
          Steven Mills

More information please. Is the file on a network or on your computer? Is it a stand-alone file or a top level drawing/assembly? Is it used in a top level file that you are actually opening and you've traced the problem to this file?

EDIT: Can you post the problem file so we can look at it directly?

• Re: Why it takes hours to open a 100M file? It takes 6+ hours to open, please help.
            Joel Gilbert

Is this a part, assembly or drawing?

If it's a part, it is most likely some very complex geometry with that large of a file size.

If it's an assembly, try opening some of the parts or subassemblies on their own and see how long it takes them to load. The more complex the geometry and the more mates you have in it the longer it will take to open.

If it is an assembly and you're using PDM, I have had weird problems with it taking forever to load an assembly because PDM was searching a bunch of paths and found duplicate files (where other users had checked out documents to random folders).

If it's a drawing, try opening the assembly or part(s) referenced on their own.

Steven Mills

"If it is an assembly and you're using PDM, I have had weird problems with it taking forever to load an assembly because PDM was searching a bunch of paths and found duplicate files (where other users had checked out documents to random folders)."

THIS is a big problem here. Especially since our PDM seems to create duplicates when we don't want it to. And yes, we're eliminating external references.

Jim Steinmeyer

Steven, we don't have PDM here yet so ican't verify but, from places I have worked in the past you are able to set PDM to not allow duplicates. of course that means that you have to find and eliminate all duplicates before changing the setting.

Steven Mills

We are considering it. Tough we're in the tough position of already having a DB with some duplicate names, and some of them actually are different files. We do not want to mess up our completed models.

S. Casale

Steven Mills wrote:

Especially since our PDM seems to create duplicates when we don't want it to. And yes, we're eliminating external references.

We are considering it. Tough we're in the tough position of already having a DB with some duplicate names, and some of them actually are different files. We do not want to mess up our completed models.

Just a few things. PDM doesn't create files at all, Users create files. SW is the one with issues finding when there are duplicates. SW will use the last known or quickest path to the file.

Inherently, one folder cannot have more than one of the exact same file name with extension. That's a windows thing. Subfolders are not considered the same folders.

It's important to have your folder structure set up so that if an user without tact (even senior staff) replicates a file name the software will default to the correct one. In the structure I have us set-up with it's easy because of us using the minimum amount of folders (buckets). Not project specific because I have our custom properties, with project, customer, file type, use, and etc defined in a custom proprerties. blah blah. So I can search and see what my users are doing wrong when another file named "shaft" is created. IF it's not in the correct controlled folder, I know the file is junk. In the remote chance it is not, I fix anything and everything.

The search path issue was resolved.

Joel Gilbert

The issue for us was not the vault folders but the local copies that different users had dropped onto network drives, local hard drives, etc. I dumped all of the files into one master folder on my local hard drive and that helped me to quickly weed out duplicates. Since there were a lot of active files that no one ever checked in I didn't want to just delete them, so the process took a while with several gig's of files to consolidate, but it saved me over double the time it took to clean them up and get the settings right within the first week of work after that.

S. Casale

Joel Gilbert wrote:

The issue for us was not the vault folders but the local copies that different users had dropped onto network drives, local hard drives, etc. I dumped all of the files into one master folder on my local hard drive and that helped me to quickly weed out duplicates. Since there were a lot of active files that no one ever checked in I didn't want to just delete them, so the process took a while with several gig's of files to consolidate, but it saved me over double the time it took to clean them up and get the settings right within the first week of work after that.

Oh yeah I understand its a mess. My predecessor had PDM a year and didn't understand how to handle the implementation and duplicate file issues- Never installed it. I took a class with my VAR, and got it done.

The truth is just grab the bull by the horns and fix the files as they puke on you.

Jim Steinmeyer

Steven Mills wrote:

Yes the search and destroy can be very time consuming but doing it within PDM makes it much easier. One idea might be to take the duplicate files you currently have and give them subscripts ie. xxxxx-1, xxxxx-2 ect. and then when all duplicated have subscripts you can set the switch to not allow duplicates to prevent any more from being created. If you do this within PDM the renamed parts will be preserved within the assemblies where they are and you will know to replace all non -1 parts as time allows. You will eventually get them all replaced.

We have that problem with fasteners coming from 3 different places especially at the present. At one job I worked at while we had standards, many were customized and all they did was pack and go to a new folder and then revise parts without changing part numbers. Then when the customer came back 3 years later wanting a trailer just like the last one but with a couple of changes it was terrible. Didn't help that the owner often went to the shop and had the guys change things without ever telling engineering.

S. Casale

"Didn't help that the owner often went to the shop and had the guys change things without ever telling engineering."

The worst is when the owner shares an unreleased doc that has issues and can't be rectified to match. when the customer gums up and says, "that we want that!!!" which can't be done...

Jim Steinmeyer

S. Casale wrote:

"Didn't help that the owner often went to the shop and had the guys change things without ever telling engineering."

The worst is when the owner shares an unreleased doc that has issues and can't be rectified to match. when the customer gums up and says, "that we want that!!!" which can't be done...

That is a common problem but usually from sales.

This same owner first bought Inventor because he thought he could just put AutoCAD files in one end and spit 3D files out the other. After fighting it for 4 months he got mad and went to solidworks. After 6 months of fighting it with SW he chucked them and went back to Inventor.

He is the same guy who went through 6 engineering managers in 5 years, I made it almost 17 months.

S. Casale

Jim Steinmeyer wrote:

S. Casale wrote:

That is a common problem but usually from sales.

This same owner first bought Inventor because he thought he could just put AutoCAD files in one end and spit 3D files out the other. After fighting it for 4 months he got mad and went to solidworks. After 6 months of fighting it with SW he chucked them and went back to Inventor.

He is the same guy who went through 6 engineering managers in 5 years, I made it almost 17 months.

oh jeez

Stefan Ilic

Which SolidWorks version was file last saved in?

I had similar situation with Composer, where import of .SLDASM I canceled after ~15+ minutes with 50%-70% CPU usage. After opening same assembly in SolidWorks and saving it in the newer SolidWorks version (SolidWorks 2018 and Composer 2018), import took minute or two...

John Pesaturo

Zhao, I'm not sure if it would be of any assistance but have you tried the Solidworks Rx tool to help diagnose the issue when opening?

ömür tokman

I had a similar incident. the problem was a faulty part in the assembly. It took me a while to find out. I am erased the parts from the assembly one by one. When I erased the faulty part, the assembly was opened quickly. the assembly was 134 pieces and I caught the error in 38th piece.

maybe is a similar problem.