Hello all, I have a problem with the tooling split. The parting line seems to be incorrect and by using the tooling split command, it moanes "cannot knit sheets together". I don´t know how to solve it. I am happy about any comment.
I couldn't open the file, but looking at the picture, it seems like the sketch is outside your parting surface
The sketch should be the on the same plane of the direction of the split as well
I've seen a few other posts from people having the exact same error message. The sheets can be manually knitted together without any problems, but the Tooling Split errors out. I think Solidworks made a change that has "broken" the Tooling Split tool. Most people that use Solidworks for designing molds never use the Parting Surface or Tooling Split tools, so the people that are discovering the problem are students.
..adding to what Doug Seibel suggest,.. there is something amiss, yep, a new fubar,,. SW Corp messed this up and everybody just luvs when they do this...
..anyway, when I ctrl-q (full rebuild).. the Shell shows a fault (that is, falls within min radius of curvature but, should be fixed)
..so, the workaround is to copy the parting surface... combine one of the the parting surfaces with the core and the other copied parting surface with the cavity.
..then, do you tooling split and you will only be splitting with the core and cavity (no parting surface is needed in this case.)
..the fubar.. the cavity and core somehow flip?... so, you need to swap, make the cavity the core and the core the cavity... so much fun!?
Thank you for you fast replies! Indeed, I felt overburdened with that task to create a working mold without any error of SW. It is a bit exasperating, especially if you have not that much insight into the topic as student.
But great, your workaround works fine, thats like magic after the long exhausting missed tries!!!!
But is that mold a correct one? Would it be accepted as a mold..it looks a bit untypical for me..
Not a mold, but a split assembly to be inserted/joined to your larger mold assembly. Typically they are predefined by material, plate size, and max opening. I would clean up your parting surface by using ruled surfaces as they look a little funky in the middle. It also looks like you have an incorrect parting line as there is a pigtail connector or something off the end that is not incorporated into the split. (could be wrong, I didn't open your part..)
SW Mold Tools Bad!!!. FUBAR!!! SNAFU!!! YUK!!!!
yep, every release,.. something gets messed up...
You can identify the problem area by altering your parting surface sketch to a small portion of the model and then executing the split. Repeat/edit the feature, making the sketch consume more geometry each time until the error results. That will narrow your focus to the underlying issue.
As others have stated, SW mold tools are poorly constructed. Manually creating your surface geometry is the route to go. Unless you are splitting "poker chip" parts
Hi 1st off I don't think that the part has a workable PL with regard to draft. At least not without auxiliary pull directions.
however, This is pretty close and uses an assembly method with the cavity command.
Using Plane14 for draft analysis, there are no problems.
...aside from the undercut on the backside.
Yes. The undercut on back side is what I was alluding to.
And also this. On the front side. Small, but it's there. This is often an issue when part designers put a radius at PL. If the PL traverses around an inclination not perpendicular to PL the PL must deviate from the tangency of the radius. Notice I set my angle to .001 degrees. This is as close to looking for up to zero draft as you can get beside when the face is actually at zero draft.
This as well
Something like this will work...
thank you for your feedback everyone!
Retrieving data ...