2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2019 8:54 AM by Stephen Blizzard

Hardware and software question

Kevin Techman

Hi,

I have recently bought SW student edition only to find my well "seasoned" gaming PC isn't quite up to the job (i7 3770K, HD7950, 8g ram). The system has started Blue screening, something it never did pre SW installation and constantly messages about low system memory. I can't find the exact reason for the blue screen in the event logs other than a generic kernel 41 event for the unexpected power down.

From what I can gather its the unsupported graphics card that is the main culprit, followed by the amount of RAM. Rather than try and source old components at inflated prices I have found this: https://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/HP+Z420+Intel+Xeon+E5-1620+Refurb+PC+%2B+Windows+10+Pro+?productId=70233.

Would this be OK for running SW 2018? the included nvidia K4000 has tested certified drivers according to the solid works website, it has 32g ram and an SSD. The Xeon processor has a reasonable clock speed too but only 4 cores. On paper the PC looks good and is reasonably priced but is there any reason it wouldn't perhaps be suitable for my needs? There might be factors affecting performance that I am unaware of.

The software question is relating to the SW installation. When i installed SW on my current machine there was a note that said my serial number was good for 2 installations. Does that mean that 2 installations on 2 different PC's or 2 installations on the same PC?

Thanks in advance for help,

Best regards,

Kev.

• Re: Hardware and software question
          Stephen Blizzard

Hi Kev,

32GB RAM and SSD are a great start. For your processor - you would be better to go with the highest clock speed i7 in my opinion because from what I understand, SolidWorks doesn't use multiple cores unless your running FEA simulations or rendering. I'm sure other users will correct me if I'm wrong :-).

I recently invested in a Boxx Apex 3 system. Great machine. If you can afford to go big then I would definitely check them out because the machines are specifically built for running CAD software (they design their systems using SW).

I hope this helps.

Stephen.

• Re: Hardware and software question
            Frederik Herløw

Hello Kevin.

Depending on what you are gonna use SolidWorks for, the pc will do just fine.

4 cores are fine for, part creation, assemblies and drawings.

If you want to use Simulation, its recommend that you use 4-6 cores.

Rendering is faster with 8 cores but can be done with 4 cores.

When using Fluid Flow its recommended that you use 6-8 cores.

https://www.cadtek.com/solidworks-use-multiple-cores/

The pc you linked to, is overall a decent pc for SolidWorks.

I'm not sure about the educational license's, but for normal licenses you can deactivate a license in SolidWorks and activate it on another computer. I have 2 installations on my professional license.

I hope this helps you