22 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2019 3:25 PM by Dennis Dohogne

    license server down, cannot reactivate

    Fred Fisher

      Just deactivated my license for a test on another machine and cannot activate on the other machine or reactivate on the deactivated one.

       

      Is their system down?

        • Re: license server down, cannot reactivate
          Josh Helman

          No it shouldn't be down,  what error are you getting?

          • Re: license server down, cannot reactivate
            Wayne Schafer

            Had a problem somewhat like yours and my antivirus was blocking the internet connection.  That might be your problem.

            • Re: license server down, cannot reactivate
              Dennis Dohogne

              Regardless of what your current problem is, your post makes the point for this  Provide a Fail-Safe for License Activation

                • Re: license server down, cannot reactivate
                  John Stoltzfus

                  Dennis Dohogne  wrote:

                   

                  Regardless of what your current problem is, your post makes the point for this Provide a Fail-Safe for License Activation

                  I know the Activation needs to be better, however the Wayne Schafer reply is the correct one, it doesn't matter what SW does or does not do to make the Activation better, as long as your IT department can come in and change the firewall.... and the antivirus settings.....  

                    • Re: license server down, cannot reactivate
                      Josh Helman

                      I agree, and the SOLIDWORKS activation really isn't that bad to begin with, why is it SOLIDWORKS fault that your antivirus blocks it. To make a "24-hour free license" isn't reasonable. Can they just keep using this 24 hour free activation? Besides, if it is just a normal activation then the user has 30 days for free.

                        • Re: license server down, cannot reactivate
                          Dennis Dohogne

                          Is the current license activation problem-free?  I think not.  I am just trying to push for a more robust system and one that never prevents the user from legitimately being without their access.  That is what I meant by fail-safe.

                            • Re: license server down, cannot reactivate
                              Josh Helman

                              I mean, if you know of a way to do this then that's awesome. but as of right now, this way is pretty darn good.

                                • Re: license server down, cannot reactivate
                                  Dennis Dohogne

                                  Josh Helman wrote:

                                   

                                  I mean, if you know of a way to do this then that's awesome. but as of right now, this way is pretty darn good.

                                  Josh,

                                  I am not a programmer.  I'm only trying to press for a solution from SWX such that a legitemate user of SWX never has a problem accessing their software.  Pretty good is not good enough when your work/livelihood depends on being able to use the software on demand.

                                   

                                  There are many scenarios with different types of access/activation.  Some of them are less trouble than others, but the user should never be shut out, that's all I'm saying.  Provide a Fail-Safe for License Activation

                                    • Re: license server down, cannot reactivate
                                      Josh Helman

                                      When are the users "shut-out"? I am not aware in which any situation that the user can't activate within a maximum of 3 hours for large outage. And if the issue is user specific then it is usually no more than 24 hours.

                                        • Re: license server down, cannot reactivate
                                          Dennis Dohogne

                                          Josh Helman wrote:

                                           

                                          When are the users "shut-out"? I am not aware in which any situation that the user can't activate within a maximum of 3 hours for large outage. And if the issue is user specific then it is usually no more than 24 hours.

                                          Josh,

                                          Please, let's not get into an argument over this.  I'll leave it to you to search the forum for some discussions of the times people could not access SWX.  I am not saying the system doesn't work, just that it needs to be bullet-proof, because it does have failures and those failures have consequences.

                                           

                                          If a person has an access problem that costs them an hour, or three, or more, then they certainly have a right to complain and ask for the situation to be improved.

                                          • Re: license server down, cannot reactivate
                                            John Lhuillier

                                            To some people that are "shut out" for 3 hours because of something they no longer control, especially for those that rely on the software that they've never had issues in licensing in 20 some years. Some people that 3 hours can mean the difference between finishing a job or loosing a job so yes that 3 hours of not being able to use their software is a big deal. What happens if that computer can't access the license while they're making a presentation to a new customer & you say oh I'm sorry but I can't do this. Gonna look real good to that potential client. Or better yet that 24 hours you say is no big deal. Any time you loose access to your livelyhood is a big deal so don't sweep it under the rug & say so what get over it.

                                              • Re: license server down, cannot reactivate
                                                John Stoltzfus

                                                John Lhuillier wrote:

                                                 

                                                To some people that are "shut out" for 3 hours because of something they no longer control, especially for those that rely on the software that they've never had issues in licensing in 20 some years. Some people that 3 hours can mean the difference between finishing a job or loosing a job so yes that 3 hours of not being able to use their software is a big deal. What happens if that computer can't access the license while they're making a presentation to a new customer & you say oh I'm sorry but I can't do this. Gonna look real good to that potential client. Or better yet that 24 hours you say is no big deal. Any time you loose access to your livelyhood is a big deal so don't sweep it under the rug & say so what get over it.

                                                Well said...

                                                 

                                                and...

                                                 

                                                My argument on this whole debacle is the simple fact that not a year goes by without some major Data Breach, can you imagine that all Designs are either exposed to viruses or down right stolen/copied...  from Civil Products to a Countries Defence Products, way too much risk, however we all know that, that is where the industry is force to go.  The "World Is Flat" and where everyone is on the same level comment is in the "Near" future..

                                                  • Re: license server down, cannot reactivate
                                                    Fred Fisher

                                                    John Stoltzfus wrote:

                                                     

                                                     

                                                     


                                                     

                                                     

                                                     

                                                    My argument on this whole debacle is the simple fact that not a year goes by without some major Data Breach, can you imagine that all Designs are either exposed to viruses or down right stolen/copied...

                                                    That is not real funny. We were breached a few years back and that is why critical stuff is air gapped from the internet.

                                                    Since our CAD and CAM is on our secure network we don't have any of the little flaky issues that randomly occur. ALL the machines and software on our air gapped secure network run perfect.

                                                     

                                                    In my opinion any one that allows any machine with critical software / files on the internet is crazy, in the fact they are fooling themselves regarding security.

                                                      • Re: license server down, cannot reactivate
                                                        Dennis Dohogne

                                                        Fred Fisher wrote:

                                                         

                                                        John Stoltzfus wrote:

                                                         

                                                         

                                                         


                                                         

                                                         

                                                         

                                                        My argument on this whole debacle is the simple fact that not a year goes by without some major Data Breach, can you imagine that all Designs are either exposed to viruses or down right stolen/copied...

                                                        That is not real funny. We were breached a few years back and that is why critical stuff is air gapped from the internet.

                                                        Since our CAD and CAM is on our secure network we don't have any of the little flaky issues that randomly occur. ALL the machines and software on our air gapped secure network run perfect.

                                                         

                                                        In my opinion any one that allows any machine with critical software / files on the internet is crazy, in the fact they are fooling themselves regarding security.

                                                        No alt text provided for this image

                                                  • Re: license server down, cannot reactivate
                                                    Frederick Law

                                                    Josh Helman wrote:

                                                     

                                                    When are the users "shut-out"? I am not aware in which any situation that the user can't activate within a maximum of 3 hours for large outage. And if the issue is user specific then it is usually no more than 24 hours.

                                                    Do a search on the forum.

                                                    Good thing is, haven't seen that for a while.

                                                    Offline license is working well for me, so far.

                                      • Re: license server down, cannot reactivate
                                        Kieran Young

                                        Have you tried using the manual method 'via e-mail' to activate your license on either of the machines?

                                          • Re: license server down, cannot reactivate
                                            Fred Fisher

                                            Yes, that is how we handle it on the secure machine that has no internet connection.

                                             

                                            After getting in contact with our VAR I learned that Solidworks has BACK PEDDLED on the active license count. This created the problem I had to deactivate the back up laptop and the old secure workstation before it would allow the license change to the new secure workstation.

                                             

                                            NOW the other issue that  is TOTAL BS, when I purchased this software 10 years ago it came with 2 active licenses and honor system for non concurrent use.

                                             

                                            Additionally I have SW premium and it appears the simulation is now a watered down version.

                                            After $20,000 USD in subscription fees over the course of 10 years this is what I get.

                                             

                                            I can see their point however I am the ONLY person here that uses it.

                                             

                                            ONLY reason I am continuing on with my subscription is because we use SolidCam for programming and they don't have any solution for me other than SW.

                                          • Re: license server down, cannot reactivate
                                            Nadia Shea

                                            Call yr VAR ASAP. They’ll be able to tell you what’s really happening immediately.

                                             

                                            You can also call SW customer center at 800-693-9000

                                             

                                            The activation server for machine activations is rarely down and if it happens, it’s only for a few minutes. Something else is going on.