16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2019 9:36 AM by Dan Pihlaja

REVOLVES

Chris Scougall

Here's an odd situation. My lead engineer is unable to revolve a sketch if there are construction lines inside the sketch. I watched him create a simple rectangle and revolve it with no problem, but when he went back into the sketch and added a smaller rectangle out of construction lines inside the existing sketch, it would not revolve. He isn't getting an error message or anything at all. It just doesn't revolve. He can't pick to select the axis or anything. I tried it on my computer without a problem which makes me think there is a setting somewhere in the options?

any thoughts?

• Re: REVOLVES
          Dan Pihlaja

Is it possible for you to share a video of the issue?

Edit:  And what SW version and operating system version is he using?

Chris Scougall

not sure that I can share a video, but we are both using SW2018

Dan Pihlaja

I use Screen Recorder | Screencast-O-Matic

Its free and easy.

I will say that I am not having the problem at all.  So I don't understand what is happening.

Kevin Chandler

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

I use Screen Recorder | Screencast-O-Matic

Its free and easy.

I will say that I am not having the problem at all. So I don't understand what is happening.

Me either (SW2018 sp2):

And if I leave one entity as non-construction, I get this message:

Even though there's a do show me again checkbox, perhaps this dialog got dismissed with the Exit anyway option and that's the forced choice w/o future prompting.

Go to System Options>Messages/Errors/Warnings and see if it's one of the dismissed messages.

If so, check it and click OK. It should display again.

Also, if he has overlapping contours after creating the revolve, it will go into error and you'll need to select a contour in the Revolve (or edit the sketch to eliminate the multiple contours.

Kevin

Chris Scougall

good stuff Kevin. the top picture you attached is pretty much what he has. there are no non-construction lines on the internal rectangle, and the internal rectangle does not overlap the outer anywhere. I will have him take a look at the dismissed messages to see if there is anything happening there.

Glenn Schroeder

Has this user re-started his computer since this behavior started?  And I mean a full re-boot, not just shutting down SW and re-opening it.

Chris Scougall

Has this user re-started his computer since this behavior started?  And I mean a full re-boot, not just shutting down SW and re-opening it.

Glen, I suggested that to him but apparently is was in the middle of downloading an upgrade file or something like that which he said would take over a day due to our very slow internet. So I kind of abandoned his problem as it isn't a problem for me or for anyone else here. I was just thinking about it so I thought I would post it here in case anyone had this problem before and had a quick fix.

ömür tokman

Hi Chris,

Is it possible just a screenshot?

It is very good to carry out the idea.

Chris Scougall

Here are a couple of screenshots. the top one works for him, the bottom one does not.

Again, this is not a problem that I (or anyone else here) is having. Just the Lead Engineer.

Dan Pihlaja

The only thing that I can think of is this:

When you only have 1 construction line in your sketch, then the revolve automatically selects it as the rotation axis.  However, if you have 0 construction lines or more than 1, then you have to manually select the rotation axis.

Is it possible that he is simply not selecting the construction axis?

See attached video

Dennis Dohogne

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

The only thing that I can think of is this:

When you only have 1 construction line in your sketch, then the revolve automatically selects it as the rotation axis. However, if you have 0 construction lines or more than 1, then you have to manually select the rotation axis.

Is it possible that he is simply not selecting the construction axis?

See attached video

I must have been writing while you submitted.

Chris Scougall

I don't think so Dan, I watched him create the original revolve with no problems. Then he went back in and edited the sketch and added the internal rectangle and nothing happened when he exited the sketch. he could select anything...none of the construction lines or any of the sketched lines. I went back to my computer and did the exact same thing that I saw him do and didn't have a problem at all. That's why I was thinking that there must be a setting in the options somewhere. He did state that this has been a problem "lately". it only became a problem for him about a month ago. but now it's ALWAYS a problem.

Dan Pihlaja

Chris Scougall wrote:

I don't think so Dan, I watched him create the original revolve with no problems. Then he went back in and edited the sketch and added the internal rectangle and nothing happened when he exited the sketch. he could select anything...none of the construction lines or any of the sketched lines. I went back to my computer and did the exact same thing that I saw him do and didn't have a problem at all. That's why I was thinking that there must be a setting in the options somewhere. He did state that this has been a problem "lately". it only became a problem for him about a month ago. but now it's ALWAYS a problem.

Hrmm.....Then I definitely think that your VAR needs to get involved.

You should be able to capture an RX on his computer and then maybe have your VAR port into his computer so that they can diagnose it.

Dennis Dohogne

Chris Scougall wrote:

Here are a couple of screenshots. the top one works for him, the bottom one does not.

Again, this is not a problem that I (or anyone else here) is having. Just the Lead Engineer.

If there is a single centerline (construction line) in a sketch then SWX will assume that line for the axis of rotation for a revolved feature.  If there are more than one such lines or if there are none at all then SWX needs to be told which line to use as the axis of rotation.  In this case you would be prompted to select a line for axis of rotation.

After re-reading your original post it does not really sound like this is the problem.  Here are a couple of things to try and determine if it is the file or his computer.

Save the file with the failing feature/sketch from his computer and open that file on yours and see if the problem persists.  Similarly you can make a file with the extra construction lines on your computer and send it to him.  If the file that fails on his computer also fails on yours then there is something wrong with the file.  And if the similar file you originate works on his computer then I would suggest there is something wrong with the part template he used.  If the file(s) work on your computer and not his then it is something wrong with his computer/setup.  You could try running the Copy Settings Wizard (CSW) from your computer and have him load those settings and then try the file.  Be careful in doing this as it can change paths that should remain user-specific, so before loading yours onto his make sure he runs CSW to save his settings.

I agree with Glenn that restarting the computer and even running the SWX Rx - System Maintenance are probably the easiest first steps to take.

Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

Something like this?

Adding a rectangle inside on construction lines

Same thing but not construction lines