6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2019 6:56 AM by Scott Lyon

Lots of little problems with SW 2019 - Dynamic Reference Visualization

Scott Lyon

This handy little feature has been driving me nuts with several aggravations that I've been putting up with. I only discovered the cause as DRV a couple days ago.

I'm looking for some confirmation here that I can take to my VAR.

First here's the setup: Dynamic Reference Visualization turned on (either one or both), a component in an assembly or a feature in a part and it having an external reference. If it's an assembly then the component must have a reference to something else. It could be a mate, sketch relation, dimension or anything else that would cause the DRV arrows to appear. If it's a part then these problems will occur no matter what since everything in a part file ends up referencing something, even if it's just a plane.

Okay, so now the fun part. If any or all of the above conditions are met and I then single left-click on the 'reference tied' thing (could even be a plane, mate or axis) in the feature tree I get one or more of the following problems:

1) Can't slow double-click to rename something in the tree

2) The thing doesn't highlight in the graphics window

3) Can't zoom in or out with the mouse wheel

4) Can't pan/rotate with Connexion 3D mouse

5) Can't see configurations available in the top window of the popped up in-context toolbar

And here's where it gets really weird. If I move the pointer away from whatever I have selected the problems go away. I have to move off the tree and out into the graphics window or up and down the tree by at least 2 lines.

I can insert a second instance of a part file in an assembly and just leave it floating or fixed and that component won't have the problem. The first instance with a mate will.

All problems stop if Dynamic Reference Visualization is turned off. I have the same exact behavior on two different machines with SW 2019. A third machine with SW 2018 has no problem at all. So, can you reproduce this?

• Re: Lots of little problems with SW 2019 - Dynamic Reference Visualization
          Alin Vargatu

Scott, let your VAR know if you ever want to become an AE. You have unbelievable troubleshooting skills!

I am not joking!

Alin Vargatu

Only one piece of advice:

When you are in contact with your VAR, keep pushing them to record any proven problem with SOLIDWORKS. After that, keep asking them if the problem was validated by SW and an SPR has been created.

Then, use the forum to get as many people as possible to vote on that SPR. Even 1 extra vote, would move your SPR in the top 10%.

Frederick Law

I have both DRV turned on.

Don't have any of the problems you have.

Jim Sculley

Scott Lyon wrote:

This handy little feature has been driving me nuts with several aggravations that I've been putting up with. I only discovered the cause as DRV a couple days ago.

I'm looking for some confirmation here that I can take to my VAR.

First here's the setup: Dynamic Reference Visualization turned on (either one or both), a component in an assembly or a feature in a part and it having an external reference. If it's an assembly then the component must have a reference to something else. It could be a mate, sketch relation, dimension or anything else that would cause the DRV arrows to appear. If it's a part then these problems will occur no matter what since everything in a part file ends up referencing something, even if it's just a plane.

Okay, so now the fun part. If any or all of the above conditions are met and I then single left-click on the 'reference tied' thing (could even be a plane, mate or axis) in the feature tree I get one or more of the following problems:

1) Can't slow double-click to rename something in the tree

2) The thing doesn't highlight in the graphics window

3) Can't zoom in or out with the mouse wheel

4) Can't pan/rotate with Connexion 3D mouse

5) Can't see configurations available in the top window of the popped up in-context toolbar

And here's where it gets really weird. If I move the pointer away from whatever I have selected the problems go away. I have to move off the tree and out into the graphics window or up and down the tree by at least 2 lines.

I can insert a second instance of a part file in an assembly and just leave it floating or fixed and that component won't have the problem. The first instance with a mate will.

All problems stop if Dynamic Reference Visualization is turned off. I have the same exact behavior on two different machines with SW 2019. A third machine with SW 2018 has no problem at all. So, can you reproduce this?

1.  Yes

2.  Yes

3.  No

4.  N/A

5.  Yes

I discovered the same workaround in the other thread about not being able to rename.  You can also scroll the mouse wheel instead of moving the mouse.

Scott Lyon

Well at least we're making some headway. My VAR closed out my ticket as Solved because they couldn't reproduce any of my problems. Hopefully as more folks realize the issues and report them, they can get fixed or at least find out why some do and some don't.