13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2018 9:11 AM by Josh Brady

A question for admins : How the posts are moderated?

Habib Ghalamkari

The question is simple. I need to know which posts needs being moderated and which posts don't.

What's your policy on deciding which post needs being moderated before being seen by public?

Yesterday, I saw a question in Japanese and answered the question (in Japanese, apparently because it's my language).

To my surprise, my post showed Currently Being Moderated for more than 12 hours and wasn't published to forum.

I don't mind if I'm not trusted and someone needs to check what I'm talking about to be able to be posted.

What surprises me is that when I post in English, the post goes through immediately.

But if I answer in Japanese, you need to moderate it?

I know it's a way to prevent spam, but how comes you decide on language and not individuals?

I also know this forum's main language is English, But I also have seen questions in German, French, Spanish, Chinese in my 9+ years here.

And never seen a complain about it.

Disappointed on the how you think about us, I test posted a question in German.
      I was hoping at least to see the same Currently Being Moderated , but to my surprise, the post went through immediately.Does it mean you're filtering certain languages?

If yes, How many times Japanese came here and spammed your forum to make you come to this decision?

• Re: A question for admins : How the posts are moderated?
          Josh Brady

Calm down, dude.  It's the holidays, for goodness sake.

I believe it has to to with anything using the Unicode character set, or any weird symbols etc.  I got moderated for using a right-arrow (Alt+26 on the number pad) because non-standard characaters are a spam red flag.  These get automatically sent for moderation.  The Asian type character sets use a lot of Unicode.  I assume your German question used the English character equivalent spelling, not German characters.  If you typed a Romaji Japanese question you probably wouldn't get moderated either.  Give them some time to actually review the auto-flag by a human.  And allow some time for the holidays.

Yes, those have been used a LOT to spam.  Mods do a good job keeping you from seeing it, which is why you're like, "I never see spam, why are you guys so strict?"

Habib Ghalamkari

Josh Brady wrote:

Calm down, dude. It's the holidays, for goodness sake.

I got moderated for using a right-arrow (Alt+26 on the number pad) because non-standard characaters are a spam red flag. These get automatically sent for moderation. The Asian type character sets use a lot of Unicode. I assume your German question used the English character equivalent spelling, not German characters. If you typed a Romaji Japanese question you probably wouldn't get moderated either. Give them some time to actually review the auto-flag by a human. And allow some time for the holidays.

Yes, those have been used a LOT to spam. Mods do a good job keeping you from seeing it, which is why you're like, "I never see spam, why are you guys so strict?"

Josh Brady

I'm calm. I only asking for some answers.

First of all I don't mind being moderated as I explained above. And it's not the first time I have to wait to see one of my posts pass moderating. I'm ready to sit here and wait for another 48 hours for someone to check my post if it helps or if it's necessary.

I'm asking  how it's possible to take a whole continent under question because there was a bot spamming this forum a while back.

Is this the logic? Let's stop any post with Asian character set and check them for possibility of spam?

Do you think Solidworks Forum is/was the only forum under attack? Do you know any other forum that prohibits a whole continent for preventing spam? Don't you think with recent possibilities in web languages there are other options?

I'm Sorry I'm living or am from Asia (the bad part of the world).

Dave Bear

Hi Habib,

You may remember this thread from some time ago which you were part of.

More evidence that it is likely that it's the Asian character sets that are being targeted just as Josh stated.

ANOTHER MASSIVE SPAM INVASION !!!!

Dave.

Christian Chu

Habib Ghalamkari wrote:

The question is simple. I need to know which posts needs being moderated and which posts don't.

What's your policy on deciding which post needs being moderated before being seen by public?

Yesterday, I saw a question in Japanese and answered the question (in Japanese, apparently because it's my language).

To my surprise, my post showed Currently Being Moderated for more than 12 hours and wasn't published to forum.

I don't mind if I'm not trusted and someone needs to check what I'm talking about to be able to be posted.

What surprises me is that when I post in English, the post goes through immediately.

But if I answer in Japanese, you need to moderate it?

I know it's a way to prevent spam, but how comes you decide on language and not individuals?

I also know this forum's main language is English, But I also have seen questions in German, French, Spanish, Chinese in my 9+ years here.

And never seen a complain about it.

Disappointed on the how you think about us, I test posted a question in German.
                I was hoping at least to see the same Currently Being Moderated , but to my surprise, the post went through immediately.Does it mean you're filtering certain languages?

If yes, How many times Japanese came here and spammed your forum to make you come to this decision?

Hi Habib,

Please read this post

it happened to me when I posted vb codes (not plain language) or tried to respond so quick as it's fooled computer as I'm a bot

Not thing discrimination to language you post here as long as it's not suspicious by the scanner

Habib Ghalamkari

Christian Chu wrote:

Hi Habib,

Please read this post

it happened to me when I posted vb codes (not plain language) or tried to respond so quick as it's fooled computer as I'm a bot

Not thing discrimination to language you post here as long as it's not suspicious by the scanner

Thanks for the link.

I wonder why I can't find anything on what a member can post and what is not allowed.

We have a wonderful FAQ about Solidworks and I think someone who is in charge should write a FAQ about the Forum itself.What is allowed & What is not.
                    How a post may be trapped in moderating process and how we can avoid it.

And anything else that a member should keep in mind for posting.

I think  the team who is in charge of writing the code for running this forum is missing the main point.

No regular member would spam the forum. Spams are normally sent by a bot which adds a new member and use this member's rights to post.

I still can't understand why the code doesn't look at the count of post by the member in question to decide if it needs being moderated or not.

Someone (Like you or other active members) with several thousands posts or several thousands points has earned himself/herself the trust.

We have Missions, Quests, Points, Count of posts and a lot more. Can't the code watch these factors to decide about moderating is needed or not?

And one more thing about your link.

It seems that because of the vb code your post was waiting to be moderated.
                    Come on.... 10 years ago, injecting malicious codes in database or while the code was processed by web language could cause certain troubles.

Now, Databases or languages that are used to input data into tables are smart enough to take several steps to prevent it.

Anyway I'll take a look at your link.

Thanks again.

Rob Edwards

No regular member would spam the forum. Spams are normally sent by a bot which adds a new member and use this member's rights to post.

I still can't understand why the code doesn't look at the count of post by the member in question to decide if it needs being moderated or not.

Someone (Like you or other active members) with several thousands posts or several thousands points has earned himself/herself the trust.

Good Morning Habib

Take a look at the missions tab under Author.

OK #1 is our beloved Maha, but after that it starts to look a bit suspicious?

I guess spammers can create a fake account and then just like 1000's of posts to gain points and infiltrate before launching their attack

I can generally tell when a post will get moderated, these are just what I've worked out

Any post containing a link to a website not on the approved list (youtube, wikipedia are ok, something more obscure no)

certain key words (I once replied 'me too' which got moderated)

When under spam attack all posts are moderated unless

you're on active subscription it's ok.

you're not on active subscription there is a threshold (for me it was 5000 points)

It's always frustrating when your post gets mod'ed but I think the mods do a great job