As Titled, Can I add to this drop down? Can't seem to find mention of a .TXT file for it anywhere.
Nobody is sure how to answer that one. Why would you expect a TXT file there?
Several of the other drop downs get their options for the drop down from a .TXT. For instance the drop down for weldment properties comes from weldmentprop.txt or something like that. I was wondering if the cut list prop was the same.
you can add an individual drop-down (and many more) in your task pane. Just use the assistant to create a custom properties task. (this could be named a little bit different, because i don't have the correct translation from the German version).
Just have a look in windows start menu / SOLIDWORKS Tools.
Check your file locations
2018 SOLIDWORKS Help - Custom Properties in Weldments
One thing I did was to create a Custom Properties Tab for weldments..
This way you can create a separate text file with just the options for that property,
but in 2016 which is the version I use there is a bug where the existing properties do not back propagate to the property tab which makes it pretty much useless!
Maybe it's been fixed in later versions?
The properties are applied but there is no way to see as the boxes are empty!!! grrrrrr!!
Simple answer is NO if you mean the values inside the custom properties window. But you can add in case you are using property tab builder like Rob has shown in his second picture.
Ok, sounds like what I would like to do is not possible...which is odd. Sooo.... another question. Is there a way to do two things.
1) you can call the part name with the $PRP:"File Name" function. Is there a similar function for cut list name that can be used at the weldment level? IOW I can put $PRP:"File Name" in the weldment property and it calls the file name. It also calls the file name when you create a body. However if I put in SW-CutListItemName in the weldment property it does not work, which I would expect in the wekdment, but it also did not work in the created body. However if I call SW-CutListItemName in the cut list property it works.
2) is it possible to combine calls. IE something like [$PRP:File Name] + [SW-CutListItemName]. The goal would be to add thst combo and others to the weldment properties and have them show up in the cut list properties .
Probably wishful thinking on my part but I thought I would ask
Thanks all for your input and help.
Matt Juric wrote: 1) However if I put in SW-CutListItemName in the weldment property it does not work, which I would expect in the weldment, but it also did not work in the created body.
Matt Juric wrote:
1) However if I put in SW-CutListItemName in the weldment property it does not work, which I would expect in the weldment, but it also did not work in the created body.
This functionality has been made available in SW2018 and on wards. So in case you're using an older version then you can upgrade to 2018 or above version. In case that is not possible at the moment, then you can use a macro (you may be able to find one in the forums) to do the same task but only issue would that the value would not be parametric (i.e. in case the cut list item name changes, then you would have to rerun the macro).
Thank you for the information.
I had already found the "SW-CutListItemName" in the Cut-List Properties. However that is not available in the Weldment Properties. I can add to that drop down and when it is added to this property list in a weldment every additional body that is created contains all the properties in the list.
What I'm trying to do is as follows: Put similar properties in the weldment property list. Using Variable one and variable two. First variable would be the same for all the parts and be the file name the second variable would be the CutListItemName property. Add them together and you have Part name and cut list name. Something like this;
I then save those properties in the weldment property. As new bodies are created the properties from the weldment properties are populated in the weldment cut list properties as below;
Problems I'm having doing this.
1) Properties saved in the weldment properties list do not seem to transfer over from the template part. That would be ideal but if not possible I can add them to the weldment properties drop down list. By doing that I will only have to add and fill in those properties once per part rather than once per cut list item. The later becomes a major ordeal and time consuming when you have a complex weldment.
2) If I put "SW-CutListItemName" call out in the weldment property it simply copies that into the cut list property and does not recognize it as call out and evaluate it properly. It does the following.
If I could figure out the above two issues I could add the necessary components to the drop downs in the weldment properties and save myself a whole lot of time.
Retrieving data ...