13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2009 10:14 PM by 1-A5CHD1

Time based Notification in EPDM09

Idspl Support
      Can any one suggess me how to resend the notification based on Time.
      For example- Suppose i send a file for approval,
      but my project manager is not availeble for approve this.
      when he logedin in explorer window a notification message pop up.
      If he forget to approve this at that time.. Is their any way to generate the same notification after 24 hr.

If add in is the way to generate this kindly give the direction.....
        • Time based Notification in EPDM09
          Jeff Sweeney
          Sorry. It is a request I hear often, but I don't think there is an out of the box solution.
            The simplest solution would be to use the report generator to create a report that would list files that have been in a non approved state for more than a day. You could run this report and manually let him know that he needs to approve a file.
                Gene Mercer
                We've been after this one for a long time and so far the only thing we've come up with is as Wayne suggested. Instead of report generator, we are using an excel spreadsheet though. (allows us to do some date minus date and pretty colors)

The spreadsheet will need direct access to the SQL database (some IT depts won't allow this) and figuring out what tables contain what and what links to what can be very time consuming as well... good luck

Gene Mercer
                EPDM 09SP2
                SW 09SP2.1
                Here is the query in report generator .crp format

@[WIP]
                §Name [Work in Progress]

§Company [Texas Engineering Systems]

§Description
                [This query lists all that are in a State other than Approved.]

§Version [1.3]

§Arguments
                [
                String Days [N] [Enter minimum days to report.]
                ]

§Sql
                [
                SELECT Min(DateDiff(day,TH.Date, GetDate())) as 'Days at State'
                , ISNULL(S.Name, '') as 'Workflow State'
                , D.Filename as 'Document'
                , P.Path as 'Project'
                FROM TransitionHistory as TH
                INNER JOIN Documents as D
                ON TH.DocumentID = D.DocumentID
                INNER JOIN Status as S
                ON D.CurrentStatusID = S.StatusID
                INNER JOIN DocumentsInProjects as DP
                ON D.DocumentID = DP.DocumentID
                INNER JOIN Projects as P
                ON DP.ProjectID = P.ProjectID
                WHERE (NOT S.Name IN ('Approved', 'Released', ''))
                AND DateDiff(day,TH.Date, GetDate()) >= {days}
                Group By Filename, S.Name, P.Path
                Order By 'Days at State' DESC, S.Name
                ]

Nur Kholish Majid
                  Is there any way to make notification base on job execution ?
                  Sample :

When someone receive a notification, open the notification BUT does not do anything ( just read the notification, close ). Enterprise should be re send the notification until he make action to the enterprise file ( for example approve some solidworks file that already request by engineer ).

-AZ
                    I've started writing a standalone app to administer this. Once I started getting into it it was easier than I thought, so I don't think it will be much longer before I release something to the wild. (A couple if weeks.) So, if you have feature requests now would be the time to ask; after I submit it I will not make it my part time job adding features.

I have three questions: Is the ability to customise the reminder notification message desirable? Would the ability to administer notifications outside of the EPDM Admin tool be desirable? Those of you that are looking for this solution, do you use SMTP or the built in EPDM Message system?
                      Nur Kholish Majid
                      Is the ability to customise the reminder notification message desirable?
                      Yes, customize base on need of user / company

Would the ability to administer notifications outside of the EPDM Admin tool be desirable?
                      Yes

Those of you that are looking for this solution, do you use SMTP or the built in EPDM Message system?
                      We use built in EPDM

When it will ready Lee ?

Thanks
                        Hopefully in a couple of weeks, as long as other side jobs don't come up.
                          Took a while but I have released something. Note the warnings! http://ehcanadian.ca/post/2009...tion-Reminder-App.aspx
                            • Re: Time based Notification in EPDM09
                              Joy Garon

Hi Lee (and others),

A word of warning:

Adding triggers to the Enterprise vault database tables is not something SolidWorks recommends or supports  -  in some cases it could lead to the vault database upgrade to a newer version failing because there are triggers that "should not be there",  or other functions in the vault failing to work correctly. So be very careful (i.e. don't!) implementing solutions that rely on additional customization to the Enterprise database tables...

Regards,
                              Joy

Joy,

I understand your concern with adding triggers to the database, but until the necessary events are added to the EPDM API there is not another way to implement the functionality this little app provides. (The API is also a client-side model, so I am not sure how certain functionality would ever be implemented.)

I'll take the app offline when I get home tonight. If you're telling people not to use it, I won't make it available. All good.

(As an aside, there are certain third party solutions that you and SolidWorks has recommended in the past, and those solutions do make changes to the EPDM databases.)

Joy Garon

Hi Lee -

I don't see the need to remove the app as long as the risk is clearly stated and understood.

If I did recommend and app in the past that made modifications to the EPDM databases, then I was wrong (just don't tell my husband) :-)

The standard statement from SolidWorks support has always been: it's okay to read from the EPDM databases, however, modifications or additions to the EPDM databases is not supported unless done via the EPDM API.

Thanks,

Joy