8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2019 10:26 AM by David Matula

Dimensions Disappear in Part Sketch

Bode Swango

I have been modeling some tools for my company for a few months. Some of the models I made back in July have lost a few or all dimensions in sketch. I had the sketch fully defined and saved; I am the only one who would've even opened the part file. I was wondering if someone could tell me why my fully defined sketch is no longer fully defined. Thanks in advance.

This is a pictured of what one of the sketches looks like now:

Some don't even have that .25 on the end.

• Re: Dimensions Disappear in Part Sketch
          Dave Bear

Hi Bode,

Are you able to attach one or two of the affected part files so that we can examine them?

Also, check out this thread....... disappearing dimensions within sketch

Dave.

Bode Swango

In the "B" file look under UNDERCUT feature. In the "BG" file look under the revolve feature.

I looked at the thread and made sure the the VIEW DIMENSIONS IN SKETCH was turned on and it was/is. From the original post in that thread, I am opening the file in the same year software on the same computer on which it was created. SHOW REFERENCE DIMENSIONS from ANNOTATIONS is also turned on. The background is also the same as when I first created the model(s).

Steven Mills

One possibility - are these tools being put into a drawing, then showing the dimensions from the model on it? Could someone then be removing the dimensions in the drawing and so affecting the dimensions in the model?

Bode Swango

They are being put on a drawing, but someone else removing them is not very likely. There was only one other person in the company that could've edited any of the drawings or parts. He was only here for a short while and working on something different. I am the only SW operator at my company with only one computer to run it. No drawings are missing any dimensions and no part dimensions are being shown from the Annotations tab in the Feature Tree.

Could the part file "deteriorated" to where it lost the dimensions? The weird thing about all this is that the lines are where they are supposed to be, just with the dimension(s) missing.

Dennis Dohogne

Steven Mills wrote:

One possibility - are these tools being put into a drawing, then showing the dimensions from the model on it? Could someone then be removing the dimensions in the drawing and so affecting the dimensions in the model?

Not possible.  If dimensions from a part are imported into a drawing and then those drawing dimensions are deleted it has no effect on the part file.  The part's dimensions are still there.

I just opened both your files.  In the BG file the Sketch1 in Revole1 has no dimensions.  In the B file the first feature is fully defined and dimensioned, but the front and back undercuts have only their depth dimensions with no dimensions in their respective sketches.

I can't say I am crazy about the sketches for the revolved features.  Though the areas can be selected for what is to be treated as the feature, it makes it pretty confusing for others to follow.  Instead I would recommend the following:

Notice the use of the centerline which makes sense since this is a revolved feature.  If there is a single straight centerline in a sketch and you go to make a revolved feature SWX assumes you want to revolve about the centerline.  Without it you have to tell it what line to revolve about.  The centerline also allows you to use diameter dimensions, in this case the .51 and 1.29.  The shaft and the head are better defined on a drawing as a diameter and thus it is better to define them in the sketch that way also.

Your sketch had a bunch of unnecessary lines and even had duplicate lines for the .06 straight segment.  However, I do applaud you for naming your features! 

As to why you have missing dimensions, these files cannot tell us.