AnsweredAssumed Answered

Who uses Solidworks for a Hobby?

Question asked by Simon Kutassy on Dec 19, 2018
Latest reply on Jan 22, 2019 by Brad Meador

OK - Who here uses Solidworks for any sort of hobby?

Solidworks is a bit expensive to use as a hobby only tool but if you are lucky enough to have access to a copy for any reason and can and do use it for a hobby what is it?

I am a member of a community theatre group (typically doing the sound design and mixer for shows) and am starting to use SW to design and visualise sets for musicals.  I am also looking at redesigning the proscenium arch structure and lighting rig. 

I'm working with a director for a show on mid next year and am using it as an opportunity to learn Visualise as well as aspects of Solidworks I have little call on in my day job such as appearances and materials etc.  Its great to work with something more than Plain Carbon Steel !!  Its early days - a couple of experimental pics are attached.

My 8 year old son has discovered my old Marklin railway recently as well and over Christmas I am going to try and model up and 3d print some Engine sheds with him!

SW is such a versatile creative tool it can be a pleasure to use it for a purely creative process and enjoy using it other ways than the essentially constrained and repetitive way it is used in a commercial environment.

Simon

Attachments

Outcomes