AnsweredAssumed Answered

Having trouble creating groove in part using "swept cut"

Question asked by Dave Krum on Dec 19, 2018
Latest reply on Dec 19, 2018 by Dave Krum

Hello. I'm trying to do a "swept cut" on a part to create a groove 1" wide x 1/4" thick into a 1/2" plate along a guide curve. I need to create a part then drawing first that I can use (or the operator can check burned part to) for programming a groove in some 1/2" plate on our burning & machining center. The groove will be created by an end mill that will be taking out 1/8" material with 2 passes to get to the 1/4" depth. I need to show the shop that it will have rounded outside corners of 5/8" radius from using our 1-1/4" end mill so I created a guide curve that will be dead center of the 1/4x1 cut with 1/8" fillet to represent the center of mill bit (5/8" radius on bit - 1/2" wide slot = 1/8" so that when profile cuts around profile there will be 5/8" radius on outside) . The "swept cut" feature doesn't seem to work (get errors if you try my part file). There are alot of options but I'm not sure I even have it set up correctly. Should be simple it seems. I created a guide curve w/ rounded corners and a closed profile on dead center of guide curve so I would think the cut should just go smooth. I'm still on SW2015 so maybe any responses can just do a snip of the feature tree and screenshots of the moves. I won't be able to read any higher version and I'm sure I'm the only one still on this old version. Thanks in advance for any help.

Test #2 part snip:

Attachments

Outcomes