14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2018 5:21 AM by Bjorn Hulman

cannot flatten

Richard Yan

Hi There,

For this part, I'm pretty sure it can be flatten before. But now I don't know why it cannot, I promise I have changed nothing. I know it is possible now when check the normal cut, but that is not what I want. Plz help, many thanks。

ca.PNG

• Re: cannot flatten
          Kevin Pymm

Richard,

Turn on Normal Cut in Cut-Extrude1 & it will unfold OK. Although it doesn't look very elegant.

Heiko Sohnholz

Hello,

beside the issue with the flat pattern … you have used pretty unlikely sheet metal parameters: Radius 0.02mm for a thickness of 2mm. How will you achieve this in real life? With this unrealistic parameters your flat pattern is useless…

SWXFlatPatternUChannel.png

It will flatten, when changing this to a k-factor of .4 e.g.:

SWXSheetMetalParameter.png

Richard Yan

Thanks for your remind Heiko Sohnholz,  it is available after changing to bend radius to 0.7 (critical value, small than this cannot flatten ). Why it work with bend radius 0.02 mm before, it is awkward.  Why is the critical value is 0.7 for 2mm sheet?

Actually in my factory it is normal process, all the sheets will be cut v groove first, then bend . So the radius should be 0.0, but it seems impossible in Solidworks...

v-cut.jpg

Habib Ghalamkari

Heiko Sohnholz wrote:

Radius 0.02mm for a thickness of 2mm. How will you achieve this in real life? With this unrealistic parameters your flat pattern is useless…

Heiko Sohnholz

With all respects, but anything beyond your experience is not unrealistic.

We are a sheetmetal company and have been bending materials up to 3.2mm with Radius 0.1 and bellow.

Yes, we are doing it in real life for more than 40 years.

Obviously, we don't use K factor. We have our Bend Table for this.

Amada's Standard Radius for bending tools is 0.1mm.

You can order special tools for less than that. (though it would be a little expensive)

Heiko Sohnholz

With all respects, but anything beyond your experience is not unrealistic.

Yes, i really didn't know that these radii could be manufactured - thank you for sharing this knowledge. I had only the standard tools from Trumpf in mind, when i wrote this.

So - with wich toolset do you bend the radius of 0.02 mm wich was given in the realistic model? (before we knew that they make an v-cut)

Bjorn Hulman

Hi Richard,

You could do something similar to the attached to replicate bending a v-cut sheet. Not exactly elegant, but likely a great deal of refining possible.

EDIT,

Actually still works without 'cut to normal'. So attached file now a little tidier than images.