9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2018 10:24 PM by Jeffrey Model

Do you use a non-Nvidia card with Visualize? How does it perform for you?

Kristina Smith

Hello. First off, I fully understand that Nvidia is the recommended way to go, and that non-Nvidia cards do not take advantage of the GPU rendering. I know that this makes non-Nvidia cards underperform, compared to supported Nvidia cards. I am specifically looking to see how people are doing and feeling with their non-Nvidia cards despite the fact that they're kind of crippled.

Long story short: I am considering upgrading my license from Standard to Professional next year, mainly to get my hands on Visualize Standard for personal and freelance side-gig reasons.

The computer it would run on would also be my personal gaming computer and digital art computer, and personally I would be prioritizing not lagging in my online games of choice over saving time on rendering. I know that there is a world of difference between workstation cards and gaming cards, but for my home-use case, rendering time isn't an issue. I don't anticipate doing enough side-gig business that longer rendering times would actually hurt me.

I am not looking to create the "best" computer for rendering, but rather one that is "good enough." With CES coming up in January, several companies are poised to make some announcements, and I'm currently more interested in AMD's progress than Nvidia's.

Non-Nvidia users, are you satisfied with your performance despite the drawbacks? Have you had any real major issues or hangups definitively due to your card?

• Re: Do you use a non-Nvidia card with Visualize? How does it perform for you?
          Rich Fagioli

Maybe I don't understand your question, but if you don't have an nvidia card, you're limited to CPU-based rendering, in which case, the card issue is moot. If that's the case, then you're rendering options expand greatly since you're no longer limited by using (only) the Visualize/Nvidia package.

If you've more of a "gamer" mentality, maybe you're better off rendering with Blender. It's way cheaper than upgrading SW just to get Visualize standard, and some of the stuff those guys produce is, frankly, stunning. Perhaps you want to google an apples to apple CPU-based rendering comparison of different rendering software. I'm curious too.

Kristina Smith

I guess what I'm basically asking is, if you're using a non-Nvidia card and you're using Visualize, are you happy? I guess I mention the cards because I've seen people report some bugs when using CPU rendering, since you're forced into it if you're not on a supported Nvidia card. Do people feel like it's enough of an issue to avoid non-Nvidia cards then? Even better if someone has used both Nvidia and non-Nivida cards; do you really miss the extra oomph from the GPU rendering, or not really? I've seen the numbers, I know it finishes faster, but does it really matter to you if you're a "casual" renderer, for lack of a better term?

I've tried learning to use blender a few times, and I know it's a powerful tool when you learn to use it, but I've had trouble learning the interface. I guess it's just yet another program I would have to learn, and switch between. I already use Solidworks at work and home, they're planning on upgrading our seats at work to include Visualize, and what I've seen and read with Visualize makes it look pretty easy to just pick up and start using.

I really should try using blender again, I do want to be able to build and sculpt more organic stuff on occasion. Not that solidworks can't, but, you know.

You have good points though. I may still want to bump up to Professional for some of the other features, but I could factor in Visualize less heavily.

Jeffrey Model

If you're looking to do CPU-only renders, Visualize might not be the program for you. It really is meant to be used with GPUs.

I know that "rendering time isn't an issue," but I think you may be surprised at just how long CPU renders can take. I just performed a benchmark render in order to get you some data. It's the standard Bunkspeed sign at 3840x2160 and 500 passes. A 1080Ti can crank this out in a little over 4 minutes while my 10-core i9 @ 4.3Ghz just spent 44 minutes on it. Considering the viewport/preview will be equally slow, this may not end up being a great solution even for a very patient user. Since you're considering this for freelance work, think of it in terms of how many image/model tweaks you can make in a single billable hour: with the 1080Ti, you could do 15 cycles of test renders in that hour whereas the CPU will leave you with only one.

Plus, even after waiting the extra 40 minutes for the single render to finish, the GPU image is going to look better because, among other reasons, it will be boosted by the AI denoiser. That function really does work as well as advertised and would cut the 4 minute render time above down to just 1 minute while keeping the same quality.

I realize that this isn't the direct answer to the question you asked, but you may want to consider picking up a used Nvidia card if you're going to be rendering with Visualize. Used 1080Tis are going for as little as $300 and non-Ti 1080s can be had for $150-200. That's short money for the performance boost it will give over CPU rendering.