12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2019 7:40 AM by John Lhuillier

2019 Dowel hole fit spec in hole wizard missing

John Lhuillier

Did they remove the fit specification from the dowel pins when creating them with the hole wizard. In previous versions you had options as to what type of fit the hole would be. This allowed the hole callout to be different depending on the fit that was required. Would stink if they took that away too.

• Re: 2019 Dowel hole fit spec in hole wizard missing
          Dan Pihlaja

What do you get when you select the drop down menu?

Jeff Woodall

John,

If you scroll all the way down to the Tolerance/Precision section and pull down the expand arrow you will see the fits as they use to appear under the hole specification area. (see below). I have no idea why they moved it... and it doesn't work, meaning the fits that you apply do not "stick" to the hole. If you place a fit on a hole and finish the command, then edit the hole you will see the fit settings did not stay.

Clicking the expand arrow shows the fits section...

Also if you used Hole Wizard custom hole sizes, say you have a press fit hole that you want its physical to be .2495" the fits no longer connect to the custom toolbox holes.

John Lhuillier

Would sure be nice if someone from Solidworks could chime in on this new "enhancement" they made to the dowel hole fit tolerances. Real big step back IMHO if it was a planned enhancement. Or if it's a bug would be even better if they fixed it like it worked so well before. Having to go all the way to the bottom to change the fit tolerance EVERY time you have to create or even edit a dowel hole rather than where is is at in 2017 & 2018 is a real time wasted event.

Dusty Nogueira

This thread shows that this question has been answered, but that's not an answer. Who's bright idea was it to fix something that wasn't broken or even requested. This is a very critical feature for me. When I add dowel holes to components it has to be apparent whether the dowel is a press fit or a slip fit for the person creating the detail drawing of the component or the person machining the component from imported data. In previous versions when I selected a clearance fit for the dowel hole it would automatically set the dowel diameter to .002" over the nominal size, it would show in the tree as a clearance fit dowel hole and when the drawing was created the hole callout would say Ø0.502 with the depth and it would say "REAM SF". This would all come from the hole callout text file that was modified for this purpose. The diameter came from the toolbox hole wizard settings which were modified depending on the fit chosen for the dowel hole. All this is gone now and I want it back. Adding the modified diameter each time I create a dowel hole depending on the intended fit is a PITA. Also the "REAM SF" or "REAM PF" has to be added to the hole callout in the drawing every time. Did someone actually ask for this or did some pencil neck software engineer who never has to design real world components just thought that would be a good idea so it would look like he or she was doing something. This has to come back. These are supposed to be ENHANCEMENTS not let's see if we can piss people off features.

Jeff Woodall

Dusty,

I completely understand where you are coming from. We too use press fits and slipfits (an actual different hole size driven by a customized holewizard). I was simply showing where they moved the place to specify the fits (shoot me in the head why they did move it...) and yes I understand that the fits (hole sizes) do not change as they should. I have a separate complaint to SolidWorks with the very detail you are talking about. They basically said to us, "The 2019 release of SolidWorks is the most stable release yet". I replied that we are not even on the same page, the stability has absolutely nothing to do with it. We were later told to wait for SP1. We did, nothing changed in SP1. They of course said it should be addressed in SP2. Meanwhile we continue to be slow and do the very manual process of putting in the hole sizes with a simple hole.

John Lhuillier

Well Dusty yes Jeff did answer the original question as to where the dialog box went for the dowel hole fits. Do I like where they moved it & screwed it up like they did. Nope not one bit & have complained here & to the VAR but seems like it's fallen on deaf ears. Still would like to know why they moved it & made it non functional like they did but no one will fess up to screwing it up. As for it being fixed in SP2, someones feeding someone an empty hook cause it's still screwed up. Maybe they meant SP2 of SW 2021. And with only 3 people replying in this thread must not affect a whole lot of people or they're all tired of reporting things to never be fixed as well.