9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2018 7:25 AM by Dennis Dohogne

Tangent Fill pattern

Matt Juric

Is there a way to make a fill pattern where the pattern is based on tangencies of the boundary?

This would be for any application where there is an accumulation of parts. So you have an area that is "X" wide and "Y" long and parts that are "Z" diameter. Fill the space with parts.

Thanks,

Matt

• Re: Tangent Fill pattern
          Kevin Chandler

Some screen shots of what you're looking for would help generate some possible remedies.

Kevin

Matt Juric

Trying to make a pattern of the brown parts to fill the red squiggle area with the parts tangent to each other. I can calculate a close estimate for number that would fit in there but would like to show the parts in there as well. Short of manually doing tangent mates for a ton of parts I could not figure out a way to do it. I was just wondering if there was a macro or command that might estimate what and how the parts would fill the area or any oddly shaped area for that matter.

Thanks

John Stoltzfus

Matt Juric

That would be a nice option, very similar to a Nesting Program, but not currently available..  What I would suggest is to add enough of pcs to setup a pattern and then go Insert/Component Pattern/Linear Pattern

Kevin Chandler

Matt Juric wrote:

Trying to make a pattern of the brown parts to fill the red squiggle area with the parts tangent to each other. I can calculate a close estimate for number that would fit in there but would like to show the parts in there as well. Short of manually doing tangent mates for a ton of parts I could not figure out a way to do it. I was just wondering if there was a macro or command that might estimate what and how the parts would fill the area or any oddly shaped area for that matter.

Thanks

As Mr. Stoltzfus stated, I don't know of a direct method for this.

As a kludge, I'd try this (no time to test myself):

1. In a separate part, create a sketch of the conveyor boundary above.
                      1. Link it in place for actual or just take some measurements and draw it.
                    2. Add an extrude for your puck, colored accordingly.
                    3. Fill Pattern the puck using the sketch. Adjust the fill options to suit.
                    4. Insert this part into the above assembly.
                      1. Check exclude from BOM if it doesn't need to be in the BOM

Kevin

Dennis Dohogne

One of the things you can do is to use a motion study and fill the slot with the brown parts.  In this picture you could just set gravity acting to the right and then let the parts "fall" into the space to fill it.  Since you have the assembly and we don't this becomes a good opportunity for you to go through the Help and Tutorials to learn how to do this.  It is actually pretty easy to do.

Scott Baugh

Maybe I am miss understanding you, but could you not make a part and do a linear pattern to where the parts are bodies that are tangent to each other?

If you want the part to follow your red line, then you could try and do a curve driven pattern, but I don't think you are going to make them tangent per that patterning, but you could choose to use a move\copy body and move the bodies to where you want.