7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2018 10:49 AM by Jim Wilkinson

3D Sketch line drawing problem

Petr Bartoš

Hello, I have found a problem in SOLIDWORKS 2019 in the 3D Sketch environment. When I am drawing a line (click to the Draw line button) and use the middle mouse button to rotate an assembly and release the middle mouse button then the line drawing is finished and the line ends in the “random” place where was the mouse cursor when I released the middle mouse button. This is very unhappy and it is different from the previous SOLIDWORKS I had. Do you have the same experience?

• Re: 3D Sketch line drawing problem
          Tom Gagnon

I'm not understanding your input sequence. Using a combination of add-on and included tools, I don't have this issue. I rotate primarily with 3D mouse, and initiate a line command with one of: L key shortcut, S menu, or mouse gesture. I haven't clicked the Line button on ribbon since very early days of learning SWx.

What version of SWx (year, SP), input hardware, and initiate command method are you using? Try something different.

Wayne Schafer

That maybe the problem.  He does not have a 3D mouse from 3d Connexion

Glenn Schroeder

Tom Gagnon wrote:

I'm not understanding your input sequence. Using a combination of add-on and included tools, I don't have this issue. I rotate primarily with 3D mouse, and initiate a line command with one of: L key shortcut, S menu, or mouse gesture. I haven't clicked the Line button on ribbon since very early days of learning SWx.

What version of SWx (year, SP), input hardware, and initiate command method are you using? Try something different.

He's saying that if you initiate the Line command in a 3d sketch, click to start the line, and then use the middle mouse button to rotate the model before clicking to place the other end of the line the software finishes it for you, using SW2019.  How the line command is initiated doesn't matter.  I can confirm that with this workflow the line command remains active when using the middle mouse button to rotate with SW2018 sp 5.0.  I've downloaded SW2019, but can't use it yet because our IT department hasn't updated the server, so I can't verify Petr Bartoš's assertion that it's changed.

Jim Wilkinson

Petr Bartoš wrote:

Hello, I have found a problem in SOLIDWORKS 2019 in the 3D Sketch environment. When I am drawing a line (click to the Draw line button) and use the middle mouse button to rotate an assembly and release the middle mouse button then the line drawing is finished and the line ends in the “random” place where was the mouse cursor when I released the middle mouse button. This is very unhappy and it is different from the previous SOLIDWORKS I had. Do you have the same experience?

Hi Petr,

I just tested it and I can confirm that this occurs on my machine on SOLIDWORKS 2019 and it did not happen in SOLIDWORKS 2018. I would suggest submitting it to your reseller/technical support representative so it can be logged and corrected in case it hasn't already been reported. I checked the Knowledge Base and couldn't find anything similar.

Thanks,

Jim