11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2018 9:32 AM by Glenn Schroeder

Sketch Color in a Drawing Sheet

Logan T.

Is there a way to change the color of a visible sketch in a drawing sheet from a part/assembly? I am using 2018 solidworks. I know I could go to ' System Options → Colors → under color scheme settings: Sketch, Inactive '. The problem with this is that it changes all sketches throughout the program and I only want to change a certain sketch for a drawing sheet and not have to go change the color back to black when im done with drawing. I have changed the line colors within the sketch in the part/assembly but the color will not so on a drawing sheet.

• Re: Sketch Color in a Drawing Sheet
          Deepak Gupta

Yes you should be able to change the sketch color in the drawing.

1. Create a layer and move the sketch to that layer. comes in handy if you want to add color to more sketches.

2. Select the sketch, click on the line format toolbar color picker and then select the desired color.

Color Sketch.gif

Logan T.

Thank you very much for responding and I love the clip you made. I was not able to change the layer of the sketch. Most likely the problem is that we both have our sketch setup differently within the tree. See attached screenshot.

This sketch in particular is a block within the sketch but I also tried other sketches within other parts and same results. When I click on the sketch I do not get the properties that is shown in your clip there and I tried other ways to "change" the sketch or drawing layer but it stays black.

Typically I do not need to show sketches in the drawing sheet but, like this project, I was given a CAD drawing of a plant layout and so I used the sketch to show the building instead of modeling everything up.

If you have a thought on how to do this in a better way, please let me know.

Sketch Color.png

Deepak Gupta

This is a current limitation and reported under SPR 742362, so kindly vote for it.

For now, you can extrude the as multi body part (with say 1 mm height) and apply colors to the body and use the shaded mode display in drawing. OR if you want same color, then create a layer in drawing and move the component to that layer.

Tony Tieuli

Deepak Gupta wrote:

This is a current limitation and reported under SPR 742362, so kindly vote for it.

For now, you can extrude the as multi body part (with say 1 mm height) and apply colors to the body and use the shaded mode display in drawing. OR if you want same color, then create a layer in drawing and move the component to that layer.

Voted. Good One!

Vincent Heideveld

You can change the sketch color in the assembly or part by doing a right mouse button on the sketch in the feature tree and select "Sketch color".

In the drawing go to Tools --> Options... --> Document Properties --> Detailing. Set "Use model color for HLR/HLV in drawings".

In this case the sketch will get the same color as in the model. The problem is that the edges from all the solid bodies will also get the color that is assigned to that body in the model. To work around this problem, create an extra display state in your assembly and change the display style from all components to "Hidden lines removed". Change the display state of the drawing view to the new display state and change the display style to "Shaded with Edges".

Logan T.

Your method would work Deepak Gupta, the only issue with it is that some of these sketches will have a lot, I mean a lot of lines. Could cause an issue.

I feel like your method would work Vincent Heideveld but the problem, and I think could be my solution this whole time, is that I cant seem to find the "Sketch Color" option. I have tried right clicking on a sketch, with a block and without, in a part and a drawing, and still no option for the "sketch Color".

Thanks again guys, I have been having this issue for awhile and just can't seem to find a permanent solution.

Glenn Schroeder

Hello Logan,

I'd like to encourage you to vote for Drawings:  Increase the Line Format toolbar functions when voting opens next week.