37 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2018 10:45 AM by David Matula

SW2019 SP0 extremely slow / lagging

Marko Talvitie

If I have only one part in assembly orbiting is smooth and GPU meter shows about 20%. When I put more parts (let say 40 parts) in assembly GPU meter gets down to about 4% and orbiting is slow/lagging. I used before SW2017 and with that assemblies (several hundreds parts) worked fine, orbiting was smooth and no lagging but with SW2019 I cannot orbit (extremely slow) these same assemblies anymore. Is there some settings that I have missed?

HP ZBook 15 G3

i7-6820HQ

Quadro M2000M

• Re: SW2019 SP0 extremely slow / lagging
          Mario Zahren

Did you upgrade the files with fileversion upgrade tool?

Heiko Sohnholz

Hello,

is your graphics card driver up to date?

I would recommend to install the most recent and SWX-certified driver.

Use the SOLIDWORKS Resource Monitor or SOLIDWORKS Hardware Certification | Hardware & System Requirements | SOLIDWORKS  to find your driver.

Md Sobug Mia

Yes, I am having this same problem. Specially starting time is very long and really too slow comparing SW-2017 and 2018.

After installing 2019, I saw both SW-2016 & SW-2018 are also taking higher time than earlier.

Also when I try to turn on "Add-ins", it takes much time to open the dialog box.

Simo Erkinheimo

We're also having this exact same issue with 2 computers. Starting up takes forever in "Loading registry..." and sometimes "Initializing VBA engine..." and as you said, the Add-ins -dialog takes forever to open. The slow ones are Lenovo P51 -models that have the original Samsung SSD -drives. We have a few P52 and P51s -models that don't have this issue and also one P51 with Samsung Evo SSD which all are lightning fast in comparison. All the software and Win10 image should be the same for all but I'm not 100% sure about that. Complete format & reinstall did NOT solve the issue for P51 with original SSD.

So currently the only difference we can think of between unusable P51 and lightning fast P51 is Samsung PM981 NVMe PCIe M.2 (original, slow) vs Samsung 970 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2. The Evo should be about 30% faster by charts but in reality the performance difference between the two machines can be more than ten-fold in start-up time and in some other cases. We haven't yet verified if this really is the root cause but right now it's our best bet.

/Simo

Julija Volkova

SW 2019 SP0 is very buggy, we are going back to 2018. I don't get how they even release such versions at all.

Marko Talvitie

I agree that it's very buggy. Unfortunately I have allready saved several projects with SW2019 so there's no way to go back SW2017.

Eric Allen

This has been the most costly release for us since we started using Solidworks in 1999. I wish we could go back, but we're stuck now. We've been crippled for weeks and can barely get our job done. We upgraded because SW notified us that a couple of SPR's were fixed and we were desperate to get the fix implemented. It turns out the SPR was falsely closed as well. Such a disappointment.

One costly problem was with a PDM create PDF task. The macro made a copy of the SLDDRW file and then used it to overwrite the PDM copy. This wiped the entire history of the file. We didn't catch it and continued editing this new copy. All of a sudden we needed to roll back and discovered that lots of files were missing their history. We then had to recover the old files and then apply all the changes we made to this old copy. This shut our company down for two days while we all worked to recover our losses. This error alone cost us more than a year of maintenance would have cost. I don't think we'll ever be the same. We're currently evaluating new software and considering dropping maintenance. We just don't trust the software anymore.

Richard Gergely

Eric Allen wrote:

This has been the most costly release for us since we started using Solidworks in 1999. I wish we could go back, but we're stuck now. We've been crippled for weeks and can barely get our job done. We upgraded because SW notified us that a couple of SPR's were fixed and we were desperate to get the fix implemented. It turns out the SPR was falsely closed as well. Such a disappointment.

One costly problem was with a PDM create PDF task. The macro made a copy of the SLDDRW file and then used it to overwrite the PDM copy. This wiped the entire history of the file. We didn't catch it and continued editing this new copy. All of a sudden we needed to roll back and discovered that lots of files were missing their history. We then had to recover the old files and then apply all the changes we made to this old copy. This shut our company down for two days while we all worked to recover our losses. This error alone cost us more than a year of maintenance would have cost. I don't think we'll ever be the same. We're currently evaluating new software and considering dropping maintenance. We just don't trust the software anymore.

I am afraid you get it with lots of software on new releases so what you are looking for may be a unicorn.

Bottom line is to avoid the problem just don't load on the new release until several sp upgrades. I was shot down by a few people on the forum for saying  not long ago you would be nuts to load on SP0 with regards to potential costs to your business.

The argument is that the software won't get better if you don't load it on and highlight the problems. The fundamental problem with that is you are business paying for a service with the main aim to make money. You aren't in business to fix software that you pay for.

So fine I will probably wait till SP3 or maybe all the way to SP5. The only downside of that is I am paying for software in advance which is a bit crazy in itself but should save me money in downtime in the long term.

Patrick Couture

Richard Gergely a écrit:

Bottom line is to avoid the problem just don't load on the new release until several sp upgrades. I was shot down by a few people on the forum for saying not long ago you would be nuts to load on SP0 with regards to potential costs to your business.

The argument is that the software won't get better if you don't load it on and highlight the problems. The fundamental problem with that is you are business paying for a service with the main aim to make money. You aren't in business to fix software that you pay for.

Well said!

Eric Allen

I now know this and agree with you. I did not see anywhere in the documentation that SP0 should be considered unstable and for testing purposes only. With other software this is called beta testing. I was under the impression that SP0 was a public release.

Richard Gergely

Eric Allen wrote:

I now know this and agree with you. I did not see anywhere in the documentation that SP0 should be considered unstable and for testing purposes only. With other software this is called beta testing. I was under the impression that SP0 was a public release.

Well this is the problem. What I would say is it would be nice if it was possible to search or see all bugs and SPR's specifically related to the newest release. We see what is fixed but what is more important what isn't working. I can't see it happening because it would make the software look bad - but that isn't just Solidworks I couldn't see any CAD supplier issuing such a list.

On the flip side I do understand how hard it is to get such a complex program to work with new enhancements and not forgetting the operating system/3rd party software which interacts and hardware. Basically a mine field.

There just isn't a easy answer to the whole problem that will fix it

Dave Bear

Julija Volkova wrote:

SW 2019 SP0 is very buggy, we are going back to 2018. I don't get how they even release such versions at all.

I disagree, I've had absolutely no issues whatsoever......

Dave.

Neville Williams

I don't think  you should ever use SP0  for production drawings - asking for grief.

There is also another view that we should all be using it to improve the product... I have, and I suspect most people here as well,

have better things to do with their lives than struggle with flakey software and beta test for Solidworks. Presume they have nominated Beta test outfits/people for that.

Personally, SP2 or 3 is when I will consider using the " latests and greatest" ??

Jeff Mowry

NEVER INSTALL SP0 FOR PRODUCTION PURPOSES!

Does it look like I'm shouting?  I AM SHOUTING!

This message should be a sticky at the top of the forum, since so many people---particularly anyone new-ish to SolidWorks---don't already know this (and really shouldn't be expected to know this).

But it's always dangerous business since files are locked into any new version in which they're saved.  So you can never really go back unless you're working only with a copy of the files (and we see how dodgy that can be with Eric's post above).

I'm so sorry to hear people are still getting bit by this sort of thing.  I was bit back in a new version of 2006 at SP0 that took one or two more SPs to fully resolve.  One thing is for sure---those bitten by SP0 in the past tend to remember it forever.  But it's not fair for each user/company to have to learn this the hard way.

Dan Golthing

Jeff Mowry wrote:

NEVER INSTALL SP0 FOR PRODUCTION PURPOSES!

Does it look like I'm shouting? I AM SHOUTING!

This message should be a sticky at the top of the forum, since so many people---particularly anyone new-ish to SolidWorks---don't already know this (and really shouldn't be expected to know this).

But it's always dangerous business since files are locked into any new version in which they're saved. So you can never really go back unless you're working only with a copy of the files (and we see how dodgy that can be with Eric's post above).

I'm so sorry to hear people are still getting bit by this sort of thing. I was bit back in a new version of 2006 at SP0 that took one or two more SPs to fully resolve. One thing is for sure---those bitten by SP0 in the past tend to remember it forever. But it's not fair for each user/company to have to learn this the hard way.

along these lines, one thing is that when you update to a new version of SolidWorks, this is a great time to back up all of your CAD files before you update!!!  Keep an archive in the older version!!  then if you have to go back, it will not be fun, but it will at least be possible.

Eric Allen

I agree to the backup and test idea. We did this on a limited scale. We're a small shop with three full time users and can't dedicate the time to test that we should have. I also didn't think it was that necessary since it was a production release.

Does anyone have a good idea on how to test a new version of PDM on the server? I only know how to do an upgrade and you can't really roll that back.

Dan Golthing

If you archive your files (outside the PDM vault) then if your update is unworkable, you can run SolidWorks without PDM in the version you backed your data up in temporarily until the issue is fixed.  this is obviously a band-aid, but most of us have had huge issues at least once, in my case several times at different companies, by updating too soon.  SP3 is typically the magic number, but who's to say that even SP3 will be stable?  Especially if everybody waits until SP3.  Thank goodness for all the suckers that install earlier versions and help flush out the problems.

You are 100% correct that SP0 should be a reliable release.  The real problem is that the Beta program is done on a volunteer basis, in other words SolidWorks doesn't feel the need to invest any money in it, and therefore YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

I keep advocating financial rewards for those fine individuals that contribute through bug reports, SPR's, and other feedback to VARs, etc.

Wouldn't all the problems be caught a lot sooner if there were enticing incentives to jump into the program at an earlier stage and really give it a run for it's money?

John Layne

Yup, it's the same every release. You're right it should be a sticky at the top of the forum, SP0 is not production ready software.

In the past I've only installed SP0 for testing, we just upgrade on SP5 and even then only after a month or so as there has been one release that went to SP5.1 due to a significant bug.

Coincidently one of our, luckily minor, suppliers has installed 2019 SP0, to our mild annoyance. We are lucky in that we are in a position to tell our major suppliers what version of SolidWorks they can use. In this case, we'll set up a SolidWorks PC with 2019 (edit the files if needed) but not install PDM then save their files out as dumb solids so we can integrate them into our products.

We only have 4 seats of SolidWorks, but even the downtime installing SP's 1 through 5 isn't worth it. Installing on SP 5 gives us a year of, relative, stability with minimal downtime due to bugs and the time taken to do the actual install.

Jeff Mowry

I've got to run several versions of SolidWorks contemporaneously for the variety of my clients.  Currently have 2015, 2016, and 2017, soon to install 2018, SP5.

My point isn't to bash SolidWorks, but ironically exactly the opposite.  If customers understood the significant risks of running into production at SP0, they'd be less likely not have such a bitter experience as a result of things going so horribly wrong.  Stacking SolidWorks, it's add-ins, PDM, and other software onto a play-time operating system like Windows 10 is asking for trouble, no matter how much beta testing you've done.  I don't see how the complexity of this sort of stacking can be adequately vetted---at all---with one-year release schedules.

Dan Golthing

I find this whole thread enlightening and vindicating.

Awhile back I asked if One and Two was making any progress.  The fanboys quickly came to SolidWork's defense and attacked me for even posing the question, a sincere one at that.  I was hoping for an intelligent discussion of where One and Two was working and where it wasn't.  But my thread was hijacked and it became only about how negative I am (a personal trait I'm extremely blessed to have, I refer to it as being "analytical").

Now we see this.  The same old wounds being reopened, not being able to install new releases of the software because the BETA program is so totally broken and useless and SolidWorks refuses to implement all of our excellent ideas to fix it.

I want to thank all of you for your pain, and as we see you lying bloody on the side of the road, many of us will know to take a different route.

Or maybe all your problems are just due to your workflow.

Eric Allen

Regarding all of the problems with 2019 SP0 and the related bugs from new releases of Windows 10. I would like to have an official acknowledgment from SW on each Windows 10 release gaging it's compatibility. Currently we just stay a few releases behind on Windows 10, but that leaves us dealing with bugs that have been fixed in newer versions.

Specifically, I'm talking about the face selection issues that are present in the newest release of Windows 10 and 2019 SP0. If there was a compatibility article or page on the Solidworks portal we could have known about this issue before upgrading Solidworks/Windows 10

We're living in a world now where Windows is constantly updating and we don't have enough say in it. I'm sure everyone has at least heard a story about an automatic windows 10 update that has rendered a computer useless.

John Stoltzfus

No issues here with 2019 SPO - -  In fact it's working a lot better then 2018 - Since 1997, 2016 is the only version that I waited till SP3 

John Stoltzfus

Guy's don't forget to present your ideas in making SW better, only today and tomorrow left to submit your ideas

SOLIDWORKS World 2019 Top Ten List

David Nelson

The problem with everybody waiting till SP3 is the problems will not be found till then and you will be in the same boat as you are now.

So everybody jump right in at SP0 so that when I load SP3 it will be fine.

David Matula

ya give us all some help here.  Impossible to convince them to load anything earlier than sp3 for the first issue.  Even though they said that it was faster stronger and more stable than 18