4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2018 5:17 AM by Steve Crompton

Hand held 3d scanners advice

Steve Crompton

Hi All

We are after a hand held 3d scanner for under £1000. The scanner would never be used to produce geometry for 3d printing and it doesn't necessarily need to produce textures. A desktop scanner would be no good for the products that we get sent as the products are too big.

All we need it for is to scan organic shaped item that we get sent for designing around, things such as power tools.

Can anyone offer any recommendations as to which would be a good one to look at. I've looked around the internet and I'm more confused now than when I started looking.

Thanks

Steve

• Re: Hand held 3d scanners advice
          Nick Birkett-Smith

Hi Steve,

I'm not replying with any particular recommendation, but I guess your options might be fairly limited in that price bracket. It might help others make a recommendation if you can explain what type of accuracy, resolution and maximum object size you need, since this varies a lot between scanners.

The only low-cost scanner I'm personally aware of is the 3D Systems Sense, but I don't have any first-hand experience with it. The 1mm accuracy might not be good enough for your requirements though. Specifications | 3D Systems

Steve Crompton

Hi Nick

For what we need it for is likely that the 1mm accuracy would be ok. Regarding the resolution all we need it for is so that we have some accurate geometry on screen to be able to design around. A typical scenario is that we get sent a chainsaw and are asked to make something in metal to hold it. We never get sent the 3d model of the item so its almost impossible to draw anything up. All the nooks and crannies that are in such items are impossible within the timescales we are given to model up. So all we need it for is to give us a starting point more accurate than we have at present.

The sizes of the items varies but are generally between 100mm and 2000mm tall, imagine garden power tools and house hold power tools for size guide.

Thanks

Steve

Wojciech Paterski

....how are power tools classified as organic shaped? just asking:)

Also in regards to 3D scanning, do a google search on the scanning with turntable and DSLR's maybe it's something that temporarily would be a solution.