4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2018 11:23 AM by Rob Rodríguez

Adding a nice appearance to a 3D model: temporary or permanent?

Raymond Herrera

Newbie Alert.

I am familiar with the basics of making a bare bones model, never expected to find out that there is a long, winding, expensive road after that. Since my 3D skills are rudimentary (for now), I hire designers in Freelancer. Just received a new computer with sufficient horsepower to handle SW and similar applications. Let's use 3ds Max as a point of comparison with SW. In the former, the models can be made nicer by using a 3rd. party plugin, one of the most used is V-Ray. From my point of view that was bad news since I don't have that plugin. Got an evaluation version and intend to purchase the Student Edition.

The issue is that the original author can make the model to look very well, but the end user should have that plugin as well.

What is the situation with SW? Naively, I expected to see SW in this list:

Chaos Group | Rendering & Simulation Software – V-Ray, VRscans & Phoenix FD

Instead, I found the following information in this website:

"You can use RealView and Ambient Occlusion to add realism to your models without rendering. You can use PhotoView 360 within SolidWorks or Visualize, a standalone suite of tools, to produce photo-realistic renderings of your models."

That's all I know so far.

Let's say that a designer, one of my "rented guns" uses one of those tools to add a nice appearance. Will it be transportable? Will her/his value added travel inside the *.sldasm and *.sldprt files? Perhaps accompanying files with other extensions will have to be added to the package sent to me?

Will the end user have to purchase, say Visualize, in order to see the model as God intended?

TIA,

-Ramon F Herrera

JFK Numbers

• Re: Adding a nice appearance to a 3D model: temporary or permanent?
          Rob Rodríguez

Your "rented guns" can provide you with a SW file which will have all the PhotoView 360 info imbedded so, as long as you have SW with PhotoView 360 you can open and modify the model including the photoreal info.  Your "rented guns" can provide you with a Visualize file which will allow you to open the file and make changes, view, etc.

I'm a "rented gun". Typically for photorealistic "stuff" the deliverable is an image or animation file.  The client doesn't really want/need the actual files used to create the images or animation.  I can and do provide them with that information if they request it but in general all they want is the image or animation file.

Raymond Herrera

Rob Rodríguez wrote:

I'm a "rented gun". Typically for photorealistic "stuff" the deliverable is an image or animation file. The client doesn't really want/need the actual files used to create the images or animation. I can and do provide them with that information if they request it but in general all they want is the image or animation file.

Hi Rob:

That is a never ending problem with the "rented guns" that I hire in Freelancer and elsewhere. It began back in the days when I ordered logos. The designer always said: "Oh, I can provide the logo in any color, size, file format: GIF, JPEG, PNG, etc. Just tell me your preference"

My reply: "I know how to make different sizes and file formats. Just give me the Adobe Illustrator file". Which they were reluctant to give away.

Suppose I have money to burn (which is not the case) and the designer milks the cow forever, what happens if the logo designer goes out of business, is not available?

Later, it was source code for programs. Back then, it was called Rent-A-Coder and programmers were supposed to handle all source code once a week. Freelancer has no such policy.

Just when I thought my nightmare was over, I am getting into 3D models. I specifically add in the requirements:

"Screenshots are nice, but I need source files on demand to supervise your work. If you believe to hand source files at the end, move on to another project. Do not waste your time or mine"

and still, it is like pulling teeth.

Oh, did I mention that my project is Free Open Source? That I expect the models to be refined -by volunteers, etc- for years? The dimensions of Dealey Plaza are extremely critical, as you can see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XWW2G3rSWM

I will get zero credibility from my potential sponsors unless I obey my promise, as I have done here:

http://www.dealey-plaza.org/this-government-as-promised/

-Ramon

JFK Numbers

波 李

visualize渲染的效果比realview和photoview360的效果要好很多