4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2009 7:26 PM by Brian Robinson

Variable offset

Brian Robinson
      Hello, I was wondering if there is any way to generate a gradually increasing offset of a curve, from one end to the other.

Thanks,
      Peter Ferreira
        • Variable offset
          Charles Culp
          What kind of a curve? a 2D spline in a sketch?
            • Variable offset
              Brian Robinson
              Hi Charles, yes, this is a 2D spline in a sketch.

My goal is to first try to create a smooth curvature continuous spline to represent the outline of an aircraft flap and aileron. Next I would like to create a gradually increasing offset curve to represent the cutout of the wing where the flap and aileron reside. Finally I need to generate the curves to represent the tracks for the Slotted or Fowler Flap.

Thanks for your help,
              Peter Ferreira
                • Variable offset
                  Charles Culp
                  Peter,

I think I have something that should work well for you. I have attached a file (SW2009) that does what you are looking for.

Basically what I did was to create two perpendicular lines in the direction of the offset. One on each end of the spline. Each are the length that I want the taper to begin, and end with. Then I used those, along with the driving spline, to create a boundary surface. Then the far edge of the boundary surface will be the desired edge, which you can "convert" back to a spline entity in a new sketch.