9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2019 10:34 AM by Daen Hendrickson

how to have different part numbers for different lengths of a parts in a weldment?

Ben Langdon

I have a weldment that has different configurations for. In each of those configurations i have a piece that is different lengths. How can i get a part number associated with these different lengths?

• Re: how to have different part numbers for different lengths of a parts in a weldment?
          Daen Hendrickson

Ben,

One approach is to add a configuration specific custom property to contain the changing part number.

Then in the weldment cut list, add a property for part number and link it to the configuration specific property.

Daen

• Re: how to have different part numbers for different lengths of a parts in a weldment?
            Ben Langdon

o man that works perfect. not totally sure how it works but i'll get it eventually. the $PRP:"WeldmentNumber" variable do you have to just type it or can it be pulled up.

Daen Hendrickson

Ben,

You will need to type in the syntax to access custom properties.

The syntax is standard for accessing properties in design tables. You can find more details here:

2018 SOLIDWORKS Help - Custom Properties in Configurations

2018 SOLIDWORKS Help - Global Variables in Configurations

These just happen to also work in other places... including cut list tables.

You can name your custom property and your weld cut list property anything that suits you - you just need to match the custom property name in your cut list syntax: $PRP:"BensCustomPropNameHere". The $PRP must be in Upper Case.

If your part number somehow is associated with the actual length of the member, you can drive the custom property text via the sketch dimension associated with the member's length.

If the decimal places are an issue you can first create a global variable which allows you to use functions on numbers - such as round off the decimal places.

Then you can access the global variable in either the custom properties or directly in your cut list. HOWEVER, my version (SW2014 SP5) has a bug and I am not sure it has been addressed in later versions. You can concatenate custom properties.

But when you attempt to concatenate a GLOBAL VARIABLE with a custom property the evaluated value is incorrect. What SW appears to do is count the number of characters in the CUSTOM PROPERTY VALUE, then concatenate that same number of characters of the global variable NAME with the value of the global variable.

If you are using a different version of SW you might give this a try and have success.

Daen

EDIT: The knowledge base says SPR # 658279 fixed the global variable concatenation issue in SW2016 SP4.

Daen Hendrickson

Ben,

Attached is a sample part and associated drawing file to hopefully clarify the approach I suggested. The files are in SW2014 format.

The part file has a single weldment body with three configurations - different lengths. The length dimension was varied per configuration. Additionally, in the configuration specific tab of the file properties is a property called ConfigSpecificNumber. This is where you would input the desired part number for each configuration.

In the part cut list properties you will see a property named NUMBER. Its Value / Text Expression is set equal to the configuration specific property mentioned above - $PRP:"ConfigSpecificNumber".

The drawing has a single view of the part and an associated weldment cut list table. This table has a column named NUMBER. The data for this column is linked to the part cut list property named NUMBER mentioned above. To change which configuration of the part the table is referencing you need to select the table and make the change in the property manager.

The table also has a column named "CustProp". The data for this column is linked to the part file configuration specific custom property ConfigSpecificNumber mentioned in the second paragraph. The data driving this column depends on which configuration is displayed in the drawing view. You can change this by selecting the view and making the change in the view's property manager.

This shows two different approaches to showing the part number. The table will show two different part numbers if the table configuration and the view configuration are different.

I hope this helps.

Daen

Ben Langdon

EDIT: FIXED IT

well i'm just so confused right now, got it to work with your part but i couldn't do the same for mine.  do you have sw18?

I can link the length of one part to a variable and i can call it out but then when i go to do it for the second time i can't even get the variable to output anything other than the variable name. also i can't get the part number different from each configuration, its just stuck at the value of one of the configuration.

I kinda get what your doing but in my weldment i have like 14 parts in it. i need each part to have a different P/N as well as different P/N for each configuration, and on top of that each P/N needs to have the length attached to the end of the p/n. some of the parts are grouped together and i need those different as well. before i had just made them subweldments but it makes them annoying to work with, and i am not truly sure i need to make them subweldments.

I'm going to be honest, this is a test document and i have tried a bunch of different things so things might not be as clean as they should be. if you could have a look and see what i am doing wrong i would be very appreciative. anyway, happy holidays, hope you are doing well.

Ben Langdon

Hey Thanks Daen,

Finally got it to fully work the other day. Thanks for the help. still a little convoluted tbh. like you can't call variables if they are made in certain places and then it works in other places. ya first time doing something like this, this is going to make this one project so much easier, have been having to manually do it now like 3-4 times. i didn't expect to have these changes when i first drew it up.

again thanks.

Daen Hendrickson

Ben,

The approach we have been discussing would certainly begin to get complex with additional cut list members - the length of each one would need to be configured, a configuration-specific custom property would need to be created for each member, and the $PRP: syntax for each cut list member would need to match the correct configuration-specific custom property. Adding a length-driven component to the part numbering scheme probably means a global variable for each cut list member as well. A consistent member / variable / property naming approach would go a long way in keeping things aligned but not the most streamlined of methods if you need to add new cut list members later. You might take the time to create a set of instructions and attach it to the design binder. You will thank yourself in six months.

Daen