20 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2018 11:38 AM by Dilip Louis

Drawings keep crashing for all but simplest parts

Scott Faulkner

Hi all. I've tried my hardest to find a solution to this issue on these forums, but nothing is fully helping (though there is a lot of helpful advice on here!). I'm hoping someone out there may have a suggestion for a fix I've yet to try.

I am running SW 2016 and 2017 on my Dell XPS 15 9560. Yes, the GTX 1050 graphics is not SW approved, so this isn't ideal. But it runs parts and assemblies fine for my purposes, so until I can justify getting a workstation I'd like to stick with it.

My trouble is when it comes to drawings. This wasn't an issue when I first got the computer, however now when I try and open or create a drawing for anything but a simple part, SW crashes and comes up with the message "Solidworks is out of memory, now terminating". When I can get the drawing to open for a few minutes, often the lines detailing the part edges will have disappeared in the various views. This only happens for views with "Hidden Lines Removed". If I switch all the views to anything else (i.e shaded with edges), the drawing functions fine and no longer crashes. I should add that this happens in both 2016 and 2017.

To fix this I've tried increasing the GUI objects, forcing Solidworks to use the GPU and not the integrated graphics card and increasing the virtual memory, none of which worked. Finally I saw a suggestion on a forum that creating a new Windows 10 user profile fixed a similar issue for someone. I tried this and in the new profile the drawings work 100% fine, no issues whatsoever. I was happy to have found the fix I needed, so I started going through the process of setting up this new profile like my old one to avoid having to switch between them whenever I want to edit a drawing. And now it no longer works anymore...

I really hadn't gotten far into the process of updating this new user profile. I had copied some user files over, linked Dropbox, and rearranged the start menu layout a bit. But once again to do any drawings I have to use a different, brand new, user profile.

If anyone has any insight into what might be causing this issue, or has experienced a similar problem, I would very much appreciate hearing from you!!

• Re: Drawings keep crashing for all but simplest parts
          Glenn Schroeder

You said "until I can justify getting a workstation".  Hopefully someone else will be able to help, and I wish I had better news for you, but I believe that time has come.

Dan Pihlaja

Have you tried working with your VAR to walk through your computer specifications (and your Solidworks Rx File)?

Alex Lachance

Hey Scott, the first thing I would do if I were you is run SolidWorks RX and have it launch SolidWorks with both modes.

SOLIDWORKS Rx Guide Tabs

If you still get the issue, perhaps it is something inside the drawing itself. Have you tried creating one with SolidWork's default templates? Do you have screenshots of what you are trying to do a drawing of? Perhaps seeing the part/assembly could help us identify the problem.

Scott Faulkner

Hi Alex,

I have just tried both of these modes for multiple different drawings, sadly with no success. I don't think the issue is in the drawing itself, as it occurs across all drawings I have tried to create/open (except for simple blocks), and using different drawing templates too.

Here is a screenshot showing a simple 1:1 scale drawing of one of the parts I have tried opening just now, blank template. The drawing opens, but no lines are shown until I change the display:

And then if I try and add "Hidden Lines Removed" views to it, it'll crash as below:

I'd be more easily resigned to getting a more CAD friendly computer if it wasn't for the fact it works entirely fine in the new Windows 10 user profile!

Thanks for your suggestions in any case.

Alex Lachance

I've had similar problems with outdated templates, tough the program didn't crash, it would just display a view without any lines(so basically nothing...). If you've tried with a default SolidWorks template then that most likely isn't the problem.

If your program crashes, my guess is you have an error message blocked to not show again. Have a look inside the blocked warning/messages and see if you have a message that speaks of rebuilding or something around that line.

If it still crashes in safe mode without OpenGL then I doubt getting an approved graphic card would help much.

Is the part built in surfaces? Could your drawing have a hard time displaying surfaces? I've had some troubles with displaying surfaces inside a drawing before.

Scott Faulkner

No surfaces on this part shown. Nothing particularly complex about this one at all. Though the issue certainly does occur for parts with surfaces as well.

I had a look through the error message list too, and didn't see anything that stood out as relevant to this issue. Just to check though, I removed all of the warning messages from the list. It still crashed without any warning popping up. It's the only time I've ever actually seen SW crash in this way, and like everyone I'm sure, I have certainly experienced my fair share of other types of SW crashes!

Rick McDonald

Scott Faulkner wrote:

I am running SW 2016 and 2017 on my Dell XPS 15 9560. Yes, the GTX 1050 graphics is not SW approved, so this isn't ideal. But it runs parts and assemblies fine for my purposes, so until I can justify getting a workstation I'd like to stick with it.

My trouble is when it comes to drawings. This wasn't an issue when I first got the computer, however now when I try and open or create a drawing for anything but a simple part, SW crashes and comes up with the message "Solidworks is out of memory, now terminating". When I can get the drawing to open for a few minutes, often the lines detailing the part edges will have disappeared in the various views. This only happens for views with "Hidden Lines Removed". If I switch all the views to anything else (i.e shaded with edges), the drawing functions fine and no longer crashes. I should add that this happens in both 2016 and 2017.

To fix this I've tried increasing the GUI objects, forcing Solidworks to use the GPU and not the integrated graphics card and increasing the virtual memory, none of which worked. Finally I saw a suggestion on a forum that creating a new Windows 10 user profile fixed a similar issue for someone. I tried this and in the new profile the drawings work 100% fine, no issues whatsoever. I was happy to have found the fix I needed, so I started going through the process of setting up this new profile like my old one to avoid having to switch between them whenever I want to edit a drawing. And now it no longer works anymore...

Scott.

A few comments base on some of your information.

-- You can probably replace your Gaming Video Card (GTX) with a better card without upgrading your whole system.  I build up an new (non workstation) system by getting a good 'off the shelf' system and beefed it up a little (more memory, Larger SSD and Large secondary drive for storage.  Then I purchased a new NVidia graphics card and installed it. Works fantastic and blows my work computer away in every respect.  When/if you do eventually get a workstation, you can move the video card over to it.

-- I updated my Service pack one time and suddenly had crash problems when I was making parts and in sketch mode and tried inserting a mid point line (or something similar).  I would select the line type and place it and immediately SW would crash - no errors or warnings, just full SW crash.

It ended up being a setting (or settings combination) in my sketching options). Its been a while so I don't specifically remember.

Fortunately, I had older saved versions of Save my Settings Wizard files.

(Save My Settings Wizard can be a real life saver - I save a backup periodically and date the backup names and keep a history of changes that way.  I also use the options settings so I will save as "complete" and also separately for each group option).

I restored an older one and everything worked fine. Then I restored to the failing one and again it failed - so I knew it was a Options setting causing the problems.  I then restored by one group of saved settings at a time until I narrowed down the group.  Then I compared all the differences (old file to new saved settings) and one by one.  I selected the options one at a time and finally found the "ONE" option that I would check that would cause the crash -(and it wasn't one that really mattered to me anyway)

Sounds like you have a similar issue with some setting in the options since changing profiles clears up the issue.

Use the Save my settings wizard and save your profile for each section in each of the 2 profiles.  Try loading the settings from the profile that works - group by group an see what will fix the problem.  When you find the cause, document it and save that information (so if in the future you have problems again, you will have the information to go back quickly and find the problem.

I would compare the options in the generic options profile that you created that works and group by group / option by option - change them until you find the one that is causing the issue.

Scott Faulkner

Hi Rick,

Cheers for the response. I did wonder if it was a Solidworks settings issue. However having tried Alex's suggestion above of running it through Rx to bypass the tools/options settings without success, I think this probably suggests the cause of the crashing must lie elsewhere?

And with it being a laptop upgrading the graphics card isn't an option as far as I'm aware. I have wondered if maybe I should try rolling back the GPU driver to see if this might help.

Dan Pihlaja

Alex's suggestion of outdated templates is very valid.

Read this:  Crusty Old Template File Gotcha

(on a side note....because that title is so easy to remember, it is super easy to search for....just search for the word, "gotcha")

Scott Faulkner

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the link, that's good to know as it is!

The part template I am mostly using was created in 2016, with a few parts designed using the SW default template. The drawing template was created in 2016 too, but I think the base of it was from a 2015 template from memory. So perhaps the issue lies in this? But it still seems odd that it all works fine in the new windows profile.

Something I did just notice however, is that the SW default drawing templates exist, but are coming up blank for me. I never use these so have not noticed before. In fact I think I may have tried unsuccessfully to remove them from my list of template locations at some point... This is what the menu looks like for me when I select the SW default drawing template:

What is interesting is that this is the case for my original Windows user profile, and the new one I made which is no longer working, but not the new untouched user profile in which the drawings are working fine. In this brand new user profile the default drawing templates exist as they should. So perhaps we're onto something here

Looking into it, my template locations are pointing to an old 2015 folder, as opposed to the 2016 folder in the new windows profile. I've just tried saving the SW settings in the working windows profile and restoring them in the original one. It has linked the templates correctly now, but is still crashing.

My next step might have to be a complete uninstall and reinstall of both versions I think.

Glenn Schroeder

Scott Faulkner wrote:

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the link, that's good to know as it is!

The part template I am mostly using was created in 2016, with a few parts designed using the SW default template. The drawing template was created in 2016 too, but I think the base of it was from a 2015 template from memory. So perhaps the issue lies in this? But it still seems odd that it all works fine in the new windows profile.

Something I did just notice however, is that the SW default drawing templates exist, but are coming up blank for me. I never use these so have not noticed before. In fact I think I may have tried unsuccessfully to remove them from my list of template locations at some point... This is what the menu looks like for me when I select the SW default drawing template:

What is interesting is that this is the case for my original Windows user profile, and the new one I made which is no longer working, but not the new untouched user profile in which the drawings are working fine. In this brand new user profile the default drawing templates exist as they should. So perhaps we're onto something here

Looking into it, my template locations are pointing to an old 2015 folder, as opposed to the 2016 folder in the new windows profile. I've just tried saving the SW settings in the working windows profile and restoring them in the original one. It has linked the templates correctly now, but is still crashing.

My next step might have to be a complete uninstall and reinstall of both versions I think.

You're talking about drawing templates, but showed a screenshot for sheet format properties. 

Scott Faulkner

Good point. With the SW default drawing template you are asked to choose the sheet format once you open it, which is where I was getting confused. So I guess it's the sheet formats that aren't linked properly. In any case, repairing this link sadly didn't fix my issue as far as I can tell.

Glenn Schroeder

Scott Faulkner wrote:

Good point. With the SW default drawing template you are asked to choose the sheet format once you open it, which is where I was getting confused. So I guess it's the sheet formats that aren't linked properly. In any case, repairing this link sadly didn't fix my issue as far as I can tell.

If no sheet formats are showing up in the sheet properties window then that generally means you aren't pointing to the correct location at Tools > Options > File Locations > Sheet Formats, or you need to un-check the box for "Only show standard sheet formats" (which is probably the case in your situation).

Dilip Louis

I too am seeing this issue. It's incredibly frustrating (2018 SP 5.0).

John Stoltzfus

How are your options set up??

If everything works on the modeling side, then I would check these options..