1 2 3 First Previous 214 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2018 10:48 AM by Frederick Law

Why?

Dan Golthing

Ask your "why" questions here.  I'll start...

Why...does SolidWorks, when I initiate a cut, more often than not go away from the part and give me the "intended cut does not intersect the model??  If the software knows where the model is, why doesn't it default to the valid direction??!!

Why...does SolidWorks place pop-ups (intended to make life easier) more often than not on the screen in the exact place where I need to select something, requiring me to move the pop-up out of the way before completing the command?!

Why is the green check mark and the red X so small and close together...there's room to spread them out.  I'm sure I'm not the only one that occasionally hits the wrong one.  After all, don't we hit these buttons hundreds of times a day?  Why not make them that much easier.

Why are the icons on the command manager spread out more nicely so that they are bigger and easier to hit?  There's a ton of wasted space to the right of the command manager.  You probably wouldn't need the horrible fly-out icons if everything were better spread out.

Why is there no one working on SolidWorks development team as critical as I and some of you other observant individuals are?

I'm still on 2018, so I'm guessing that most of this stuff is already fixed in 2019.

Please ask your additional questions regarding the idiosyncrasies of SolidWorks below.

• 1. Re: Why?
          Alex Lachance

If I could give a thumbs up for each of those questions I would. I swear I beat my head on my desk because of most of these pet peeves

• 2. Re: Why?
            Dan Bovinich

>Why...does SolidWorks, when I initiate a cut, more often than not go away from the part and give me the "intended cut does not intersect the model??  If the software knows where the model is, why doesn't it default to the valid direction??!!<

The above is so annoying. I guess that 95% of the time, it goes the wrong way, either on a cut or an extrude.

>Why...does SolidWorks place pop-ups (intended to make life easier) more often than not on the screen in the exact place where I need to select something, requiring me to move the pop-up out of the way before completing the command?!<

Exactly! Right dead in the middle of where you're working! Very annoying!

In the early days of SW when you went to the "Enhancement request", you could write these things down and you would pick the reason. One of the reasons was, "Very Annoying". But after a few years they took that selection/reason off the menu. LOL!

Dan

• 3. Re: Why?
              Ned Hutchinson

Why?

like this box in the move face, selecting things every click pops back right in-front of mouse, zoom pops it right into the mouse,

there is no need for this box to appear in-front of mouse, you can enter numbers into it were ever it is

2018-11-16 08_34_09-Window.png

• 4. Re: Why?
                Dan Bovinich

WHY when you do exploded views of assemblies & parts, you go to select the part and it picks the part behind the part you're trying to select? Its been this way for over 20 years! You'da thunk they would of fixed that by now??? If you're not in the "exploded View" feature it select the parts normally without a problem.

I was doing this today and it mis-selected parts approximately 40% of the time....

So annoying....

Dan

• 5. Re: Why?
                  Dwight Livingston

I don't know. I find the cuts usually go the right way, and I'd hate to spread out the command manager any farther. Still, these are good questions to be asking.

For instance, I wonder why, when a new mate conflicts with old mates, it's the old mates that must be flipped. Why not flip the new mate?

Dwight

• 6. Re: Why?
                    Dwight Livingston

Ned Hutchinson wrote:

Why?

like this box in the move face, selecting things every click pops back right in-front of mouse, zoom pops it right into the mouse,

there is no need for this box to appear in-front of mouse, you can enter numbers into it were ever it is

Yes, absolutely. It's like playing dodge ball when you have a bunch a faces to move.

• 7. Re: Why?
                      Dan Bovinich

Hmmm.... that may be a setting, mine (SW 2017) doesn't do that....

• 8. Re: Why?
                        Christian Chu

Ask your "why" questions here.  I'll start...

"Why as Why - Try Bud dry"

Why...does SolidWorks, when I initiate a cut, more often than not go away from the part and give me the "intended cut does not intersect the model??  If the software knows where the model is, why doesn't it default to the valid direction??!!

Like it or not, it uses normal vector to the sketch plane - if you want to change, flip the normal vector  - it makes sense to me.

Why...does SolidWorks place pop-ups (intended to make life easier) more often than not on the screen in the exact place where I need to select something, requiring me to move the pop-up out of the way before completing the command?!

Lean some programming then you'll understand why

Why is the green check mark and the red X so small and close together...there's room to spread them out.  I'm sure I'm not the only one that occasionally hits the wrong one.  After all, don't we hit these buttons hundreds of times a day?  Why not make them that much easier.

I don't seem to get this issue even though my eyes are not 20/20

Why are the icons on the command manager spread out more nicely so that they are bigger and easier to hit?  There's a ton of wasted space to the right of the command manager.  You probably wouldn't need the horrible fly-out icons if everything were better spread out.

I think they save room for more icons in the future

• 9. Re: Why?
                          Dan Golthing

Lean some programming then you'll understand why

Even though I don't lean any programming, I would assume that your proposition is false.  I would assume that due to programming, there ARE ways to improve the pop-up placement by predicting where the operator will be working and moving the window out of that zone.  In fact, just a wild guess, but I would imagine the program could recognize the graphics output and where the model exists to the viewer and where there is blank screen.  Then through programming, the pop-up window could go in the area that is blank. 

I don't seem to get this issue even though my eyes are not 20/20

Are you running a 4k monitor?  my check and x buttons are about .23 inches square.  That's pretty friggen small to be hitting hundreds of times a day.  The width of screen space next to them, inside the tree pane, is several times that, so since you're a programming god, maybe you can explain why these buttons don't scale with the size of the tree pane width.  If they did, they would typically be at least an inch wide or so.  If only I had your insane hand-eye coordination...

• 10. Re: Why?
                            Christian Chu
                            Even though I don't lean any programming, I would assume that your proposition is false.  I would assume that due to programming, there ARE ways to improve the pop-up placement by predicting where the operator will be working and moving the window out of that zone.  In fact, just a wild guess, but I would imagine the program could recognize the graphics output and where the model exists to the viewer and where there is blank screen.  Then through programming, the pop-up window could go in the area that is blank.

I'm not going to argue for True/False here - and it's not my job to program where to position the pop-up window on the screen, it's a SW development team job

One thing I know some pop-up wins location appears as default which drives you nut and they must have a good reason for it.

Are you running a 4k monitor?  my check and x buttons are about .23 inches square.  That's pretty friggen small to be hitting hundreds of times a day.  The width of screen space next to them, inside the tree pane, is several times that, so since you're a programming god, maybe you can explain why these buttons don't scale with the size of the tree pane width.  If they did, they would typically be at least an inch wide or so.  If only I had your insane hand-eye coordination...

No, Sir. I'm running my SW on Dell Ultrasharp monitor - and Please no True/false here

• 11. Re: Why?
                              Dave Bear

WHY? Do some people get so fixated on the negatives in life instead of the positives they find?

Life's too short................

Dave.

• 12. Re: Why?
                                Alex Lachance

Hey Ned,

I believe that box relates to Instant3D or Instant2D. Not 100% sure tough.

• 13. Re: Why?
                                  Danny Edwards
                                  • 14. Re: Why?
                                    John Stoltzfus

Dave Bear wrote:

WHY? Do some people get so fixated on the negatives in life instead of the positives they find?

Life's too short................

Dave.

Another awesome post and another SWIFT Award for being positive

1 2 3 First Previous