AnsweredAssumed Answered

how is a blank value in material properties handled?

Question asked by Tom Gagnon on Nov 15, 2018

I am defining custom materials which I could not successfully find in SWx Materials, SWx DIN Materials, or Ctopher's material database.

There is plenty of cross-standard confusion, misunderstanding, and my own simple lack of knowledge. I am trying to learn. Thank you.

I located spec sheets for the material. It has the values which I need for Simulation Static Analysis: Elastic Modulus, Poisson's Ratio, Tensile Strength, Yield Strength, and Mass Density. I have applied these values after unit conversion, as applicable. Unknown values have been left blank.

I did not find: Tangent Modulus, Thermal Expansion Coefficient, or Hardening Factor. If needed, I can research it further to find these values. Before I do that, How does SOLIDWORKS handle a blank value in Material Properties? That is, is a blank value treated as the value zero, similar to Excel? Or, is a blank value considered Not Applicable or Unknown, and therefore simply unable to generate related simulations which rely on those values?

Thus, if I do not complete every available value within a Material Property, am I creating genuine problems down the road, or simply limiting what simulations I can generate with that material?

Outcomes