0 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2018 8:09 PM by Simon Kutassy

Building / Upgrading Your Own SW Workstation - Anyone interested in learning the essentials?

Simon Kutassy

Hi

I have built a number of workstations and servers over the years for our office and have built and upgraded our Solidworks Workstations (which are SW general use workstations)

If folk are interested I am happy to talk through specs and essentials and prepare videos on how to assemble the machines and what to consider. Drop me a note.

I am currently running SW 2019 on a Core i7 8086 Processor with 16Gb of 3 Ghz RAM / Intel Optane SSD and an Nvidia K2200.  It is running at 5 Ghz.

My actual expenditure for this workstation (and this is the important bit because I only upgraded what I needed to and kept everything else from my last build - a couple of years ago) was only about $1800 Australian Dollars. About $1300 USD .

What I did not upgrade because the (up 10 year old) components are running perfectly happily just as they are:

ATX PC Case (This is its third motherboard)

Power Supply (I have a spare in a box for when the one in the tower gives up) - Its about 20 mins to swap a new one out.

DVD Burner

Nvidia K2200 (a couple of years old and provides excellent performance for general modelling)

High Capacity 2Tb Hard Drive for storage of large files and media - Windows and Solidworks all run from the Optane Drive

Windows 10 itself - because the licence can be transferred to the new hardware.

Monitors

Keyboard

Mouse

Note: There are some small risks in building your own machine and it is possible to damage components (including the expensive bits) if they are not assembled correctly  - Please attempt at your own risk and advice is advice - at the end of the day the choices are yours to take  - However I have built a couple of dozen machines over the years and in that time I have damaged just one component - the risks are minimal with a bit of common sense and care. 

The savings and flexibility of building just the machine you want are significant. And it can be quite fun :-)  You can also end up with a pile of quite high end components that can be rolled into other general use office machines when the SW workstation(s) get an upgrade.

Cheers,

Simon