32 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2018 8:32 AM by Fifi Riri

adding a converted dimension as a note in a dimension box

Mike Flanders

I was wondering if using a macro could fill in an annotation into the dimension text box? Our parts shrink in a furnace. I was wondering if it was possible to fill in a dimension text that takes the primary value and divides it by .810? Then have it loop through every dimension on the print. I could do this in the part file itself or do it in the drawing with smart dimension. could maybe have it pop up a window and ask what the conversion figure(.810,.811,.812, etc.) is??

I put in an enhancement request years ago about being able to control the "DUAL" dimension conversion figure instead of metric to be a value desired by the designer.

adding a value with macro.JPG

adding a value with macro dwg.JPG

• Re: adding a converted dimension as a note in a dimension box
          Josh Brady

Sorry, I forget if you have any API skills...  If you do, this should be a no-brainer.  If not, you should still be able to figure it out with a little bit of head-scratching.

Here's a macro that I wrote approximately forever ago.  Based on the name, I think it takes every dim and subtracts a set value... Take a crack at modifying it!  :-)  It might only do the active sheet.  I haven't even looked at it.

Mike Flanders

That would be awesome because I would only want it to do the active sheet. I'll look into this. Thanks!!

Mike Flanders

That is awesome. I changed some wording and had the value come in different. Dividing instead of subtracting. Love it. How might I get it to add it under the dimension instead of to the right of it?

Mike Flanders

Hey Josh, I was wondering if it was possible to take this macro and have it do two conversion figures and have the macro look at the dimension code and have it base its figure off one of the shrink values based on a notation in front of the dimension. Our parts shrink differently lengthwise vs diameter-wise.  I see that any diameter dimension throws in <MOD-DIAM> which is the diameter symbol. I would like it to recognize this and convert by "Diameter Shrink" and if not, then divide by "Length Shrink". The other side of this is angles. If this functionality could work then it should probably recognize decimal places. Any value that has a decimal place less than 2 then it would do anything. I can totally live without the angle option but the segregating the lengths vs the diameters would be HUGE!!!!

diameter code.JPG

length code.JPG

angular code.JPG

Josh Brady

Here's a macro that does something to selected dimensions vs. all dimensions (I think... It's old too).  All of what you've mentioned is possible...  Play around, explore the API and you should be able to get what you want.

Fifi Riri

Try this:

Option Explicit

Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks

Dim swDoc As SldWorks.ModelDoc2

Dim swDwg As SldWorks.DrawingDoc

Dim swView As SldWorks.View

Dim swDispDim As SldWorks.DisplayDimension

Dim swDim As SldWorks.Dimension

Dim sCurSuffix As String

Dim nOpenParPos As Long

Dim nCloseParPos As Long

Dim vDimVal As Variant

Dim dInchVal As Double

Dim sInchString As String

Dim sNewSuffix As String

Const ShrinkH As Double = 0.812

Const ShrinkV As Double = 0.809

Dim myShrinkH As Double

Dim myShrinkV As Double

Dim DisplayData As SldWorks.DisplayData

Dim ArrowHeadPos As Variant

Dim ArrowHeadDir As Variant

Sub main()

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks

Set swDoc = swApp.ActiveDoc

If swDoc.GetType <> swDocDRAWING Then

MsgBox "This macro only works for drawing files."

Exit Sub

End If

myShrinkH = Val(InputBox("Enter the Horizontal Shrink Value:", "SHRINK VALUE", ShrinkH))

If myShrinkH = 0 Then Exit Sub

myShrinkV = Val(InputBox("Enter the Vertical Shrink Value:", "SHRINK VALUE", ShrinkV))

If myShrinkV = 0 Then Exit Sub

Set swDwg = swDoc

Set swView = swDwg.GetFirstView

While Not (swView Is Nothing)

Set swDispDim = swView.GetFirstDisplayDimension5

While Not swDispDim Is Nothing

Set DisplayData = swDispDim.GetDisplayData

ArrowHeadPos = DisplayData.GetArrowHeadAtIndex2(0)

ArrowHeadDir = DisplayData.GetArrowHeadAtIndex2(1)

Set swDim = swDispDim.GetDimension

vDimVal = swDim.GetValue3(swThisConfiguration, Empty)

If swDispDim.GetPrimaryPrecision2 < 2 Then

GoTo nextdim

ElseIf Abs(ArrowHeadPos(0) - ArrowHeadDir(0)) < 0.0001 Then

dInchVal = vDimVal(0) / myShrinkV

ElseIf Abs(ArrowHeadPos(1) - ArrowHeadDir(1)) < 0.0001 Then

dInchVal = vDimVal(0) / myShrinkH

Else

GoTo nextdim

End If

sInchString = FormatNumber(dInchVal, 3)

sCurSuffix = swDispDim.GetText(swDimensionTextSuffix)

nOpenParPos = InStr(1, sCurSuffix, "(", vbTextCompare)

nCloseParPos = InStr(1, sCurSuffix, ")", vbTextCompare)

If (nOpenParPos > 0) And (nCloseParPos > 0) Then

sNewSuffix = Left(sCurSuffix, nOpenParPos)

sNewSuffix = sNewSuffix & sInchString

sNewSuffix = sNewSuffix & Right(sCurSuffix, Len(sCurSuffix) - (nCloseParPos - 1))

Else

sNewSuffix = "(" & sInchString & ") " & sCurSuffix

End If

swDispDim.SetText swDimensionTextSuffix, sNewSuffix

nextdim:

Set swDispDim = swDispDim.GetNext5

Wend

Set swView = swView.GetNextView

Wend

End Sub

Mike Flanders

FIFI, It pops up the two direction shrink values however nothing appears to happen after that point. You get this to work like I think your code is trying to get it to work and I swear to you I'll have a money order for you in the mail!!! This could potentially be huge for me.

Mike Flanders

These dimensions are not imported model dimensions. I could always go that way also where it actually adds the conversion within the model dimensions and have them import from there. Thats kind of what I have been working on instead of always dimensioning my prints having it pull in the dimensions from the model. The reason I never do this is because of this scaling that happens. When I scale the model out to the larger size before sintered the model dimensions are of the sketches. they dont scale so I have to dimension the surfaces if I was to use a scale feature in my model to do this. If I use a macro that just converts a variable then I can pull in the actual sketch dimension and probably make thing faster that way. I'm not sure which way to go. I really like this macro idea of just having them converted. Our guys on the floor takes every print we do (110-150 per day) and have to calculate out the shrink values to the test piece shrink. Give me your thoughts. I SO SO much appreciate this!!!

Fifi Riri

My mistake, some dimensions use the system precision instead of their own

also corrected an error with the radius dimensions but I'm not sure what factor to apply to them

Option Explicit

Dim sCurSuffix As String

Dim nOpenParPos As Long

Dim nCloseParPos As Long

Dim vDimVal As Variant

Dim dInchVal As Double

Dim sNewSuffix As String

Dim myShrinkH As Double

Dim myShrinkV As Double

Sub main()

Exit Sub

End If

myShrinkH = Val(InputBox("Enter the Horizontal Shrink Value:", "SHRINK VALUE", ShrinkH))

myShrinkV = Val(InputBox("Enter the Vertical Shrink Value:", "SHRINK VALUE", ShrinkV))

Set swDwg = swDoc

If DisplayData.GetArrowHeadCount <> 2 Then

GoTo nextdim

ElseIf (swDispDim.GetPrimaryPrecision2 = -2 And swDwg.GetUserPreferenceIntegerValue(swUserPreferenceIntegerValue_e.swDetailingLinearDimPrecision) < 2) Or (swDispDim.GetPrimaryPrecision2 <> -2 And swDispDim.GetPrimaryPrecision2 < 2) Then

GoTo nextdim

Else

GoTo nextdim

End If

sNewSuffix = sNewSuffix & Right(sCurSuffix, Len(sCurSuffix) - (nCloseParPos - 1))

Else

End If

nextdim:

Wend

Wend

End Sub

Mike Flanders

WHERE DO I SEND THE CHECK???????????????? This is amazing!!!!!!

Mike Flanders

actually I would want any single arrows to convert to the horizontal value.

Fifi Riri

Replace

If DisplayData.GetArrowHeadCount <> 2 Then

End If

by

If (swDispDim.GetPrimaryPrecision2 = -2 And swDwg.GetUserPreferenceIntegerValue(swUserPreferenceIntegerValue_e.swDetailingLinearDimPrecision) < 2) Or (swDispDim.GetPrimaryPrecision2 <> -2 And swDispDim.GetPrimaryPrecision2 < 2) Then

'precision <2

GoTo nextdim

ElseIf DisplayData.GetArrowHeadCount <> 2 Then

'Radius

'vertical dim

'horizontal dim

Else

'other dim

GoTo nextdim

End If

Fifi Riri

Option Explicit

Dim vDimVal As Variant

Dim dInchVal As Double

Dim sNewSuffix As String

Dim myShrinkH As Double

Dim myShrinkV As Double

Dim length As Double

Dim boolstatus As Boolean

Sub main()

Exit Sub

End If

Set swDwg = swDoc

boolstatus = swDim.GetSystemChamferValues(length, Empty)

If (swDispDim.GetPrimaryPrecision2 = -2 And swDwg.GetUserPreferenceIntegerValue(swUserPreferenceIntegerValue_e.swDetailingLinearDimPrecision) < 2) Or (swDispDim.GetPrimaryPrecision2 <> -2 And swDispDim.GetPrimaryPrecision2 < 2) Then

'precision <2

GoTo nextdim

ElseIf boolstatus Then

'chamfer

dInchVal = length / 0.00254 / myShrinkH

ElseIf swView.GetDimensionCount4 < 8 Then

'side view

'Radius

'vertical dim

'horizontal dim

Else

'other dim

GoTo nextdim

End If

sNewSuffix = vbCr & "<FONT color=0x000000ff>(" & FormatNumber(dInchVal, 3) & ")<FONT color=0x000000ff>"

nextdim:

Wend

Wend

End Sub

Mike Flanders

I am having no luck getting this macro to work together with another one. I added the one macro into one that copies my sheet and paste it while renaming it. I cant see where I can attach it in this thread so I'll just copy and paste in here and tell me what you think.

Option Explicit

'Dim swApp As Object

Dim Part As Object

Dim longstatus As Long, longwarnings As Long

Dim sCurSuffix As String

Dim nOpenParPos As Long

Dim nCloseParPos As Long

Dim vDimVal As Variant

Dim dInchVal As Double

Dim sNewSuffix As String

Dim myShrinkH As Double

Dim myShrinkV As Double

Sub main()

'COPY AND PASTE PREFORM SHEET. RENAME TO RED FIGURE PRINT.

Set Part = swApp.ActiveDoc

Dim myModelView As Object

Set myModelView = Part.ActiveView

myModelView.FrameState = swWindowState_e.swWindowMaximized

boolstatus = Part.Extension.SelectByID2("PREFORM", "SHEET", 0, 0, 0, False, 0, Nothing, 0)

Part.EditCopy

Part.Paste

' Zoom To Fit

Part.ViewZoomtofit2

Part.ClearSelection2 True

Dim myDrawingSheet As Object

Set myDrawingSheet = Part.GetCurrentSheet()

myDrawingSheet.SetName "RED FIGURE PRINT"

boolstatus = Part.ActivateView("Drawing View6")

boolstatus = Part.ActivateSheet("RED FIGURE PRINT")

'Rebuild

Part.ForceRebuild3 (True)

'------------------------------------------------------------

Exit Sub

End If

Set swDwg = swDoc

boolstatus = swDim.GetSystemChamferValues(Length, Empty)

'''precision <2

GoTo nextdim

ElseIf boolstatus Then

'''chamfer

dInchVal = Length / 0.0254 / myShrinkH

ElseIf swView.GetDimensionCount4 < 3 Then

'''side view

'''Radius

'''vertical dim

'''horizontal dim

Else

'''other dim

GoTo nextdim

End If

Else

End If

sNewSuffix = vbCr & "<FONT color=0x000000ff>" & Replace(sNewSuffix, Chr(13), "")

nextdim:

Wend

Wend

End Sub

Mike Flanders

Fifi Riri

Fifi, If you happen to look at see this, This doesn't seem to dimension the coolant holes. This is what I was referring to when I said something about the anything over 1place decimal I need it to calculate with one of the myshrink"" values. I think it would be best if it was using the "myshrinkH".  I dont want the angular dimensions converting but I do want the holes size itself to calculate. The .051" should be (0.063). This is so close to being perfect. I don't know what is going on. I could swear this was working in the beginning. I keep going back and coping what we have in this forum but nothing seems to be working on these holes sizes

NOT DIMENSIONING THE ANGULAR HOLES.PNG

Fifi Riri

Replace the if with:

If swDispDim.GetType = swDimensionType_e.swLinearDimension And (swDispDim.GetPrimaryPrecision2 = -2 And swDwg.GetUserPreferenceIntegerValue(swUserPreferenceIntegerValue_e.swDetailingLinearDimPrecision) < 2) Or (swDispDim.GetPrimaryPrecision2 <> -2 And swDispDim.GetPrimaryPrecision2 < 2) Then

Debug.Print swDispDim.GetNameForSelection & " - precision <2"

GoTo nextdim

'ElseIf swDispDim.GetType = swDimensionType_e.swAngularDimension And (swDispDim.GetPrimaryPrecision2 = -2 And swDwg.GetUserPreferenceIntegerValue(swUserPreferenceIntegerValue_e.swDetailingAngularDimPrecision) < 2) Or (swDispDim.GetPrimaryPrecision2 <> -2 And swDispDim.GetPrimaryPrecision2 < 2) Then

'Debug.Print swDispDim.GetNameForSelection & " - angular precision <2"

'GoTo nextdim

ElseIf boolstatus Then

Debug.Print swDispDim.GetNameForSelection & " - chamfer"

ElseIf swDispDim.GetType = swDimensionType_e.swAngularDimension Then

Debug.Print swDispDim.GetNameForSelection & " - Angle"

GoTo nextdim

ElseIf swView.GetDimensionCount4 < 5 Then

Debug.Print swDispDim.GetNameForSelection & " - side view"

Debug.Print swDispDim.GetNameForSelection & " - Radius"

Debug.Print swDispDim.GetNameForSelection & " - vertical dim"

Debug.Print swDispDim.GetNameForSelection & " - horizontal dim"

ElseIf swDispDim.GetType = swDimensionType_e.swLinearDimension Then

Debug.Print swDispDim.GetNameForSelection & " - angled dim"

Else

Debug.Print swDispDim.GetNameForSelection & " - other dim"

GoTo nextdim

End If

Mike Flanders

we are so close. it is converting angles again. I posted what I have under photo.

maco.PNG

Option Explicit

Dim vDimVal As Variant

Dim dInchVal As Double

Dim sNewSuffix As String

Dim myShrinkH As Double

Dim myShrinkV As Double

Dim length As Double

Sub main()

Exit Sub

End If

Set swDwg = swDoc

Dim myModelView As Object

Set myModelView = swDwg.ActiveView

myModelView.FrameState = swWindowState_e.swWindowMaximized

boolstatus = swDwg.Extension.SelectByID2("PREFORM", "SHEET", 0, 0, 0, False, 0, Nothing, 0)

swDwg.EditCopy

swDwg.Paste

' Zoom To Fit

swDwg.ViewZoomtofit2

swDwg.ClearSelection2 True

Dim myDrawingSheet As Object

Set myDrawingSheet = swDwg.GetCurrentSheet()

myDrawingSheet.SetName "RED FIGURE PRINT"

boolstatus = swDwg.ActivateView("Drawing View6")

boolstatus = swDwg.Extension.SelectByRay(0.119488618854222, 0.129761048681381, 166.666666666667, 0, 0, -1, 5.89599615358807E-04, 46, False, 0, 0)

boolstatus = swDwg.ActivateSheet("RED FIGURE PRINT")

'Rebuild

swDwg.ForceRebuild3 (True)

'------------------------

boolstatus = swDim.GetSystemChamferValues(length, Empty)

If swDispDim.GetType = swDimensionType_e.swLinearDimension And (swDispDim.GetPrimaryPrecision2 = -2 And swDwg.GetUserPreferenceIntegerValue(swUserPreferenceIntegerValue_e.swDetailingLinearDimPrecision) < 2) Or (swDispDim.GetPrimaryPrecision2 <> -2 And swDispDim.GetPrimaryPrecision2 < 2) Then

Debug.Print swDispDim.GetNameForSelection & " - precision <2"

GoTo nextdim

'ElseIf swDispDim.GetType = swDimensionType_e.swAngularDimension And (swDispDim.GetPrimaryPrecision2 = -2 And swDwg.GetUserPreferenceIntegerValue(swUserPreferenceIntegerValue_e.swDetailingAngularDimPrecision) < 2) Or (swDispDim.GetPrimaryPrecision2 <> -2 And swDispDim.GetPrimaryPrecision2 < 2) Then

'Debug.Print swDispDim.GetNameForSelection & " - angular precision <2"

'GoTo nextdim

ElseIf boolstatus Then

Debug.Print swDispDim.GetNameForSelection & " - chamfer"

ElseIf swDispDim.GetType = swDimensionType_e.swAngularDimension Then

Debug.Print swDispDim.GetNameForSelection & " - Angle"

ElseIf swView.GetDimensionCount4 < 8 Then

Debug.Print swDispDim.GetNameForSelection & " - side view"

Debug.Print swDispDim.GetNameForSelection & " - Radius"

Debug.Print swDispDim.GetNameForSelection & " - vertical dim"

Debug.Print swDispDim.GetNameForSelection & " - horizontal dim"

ElseIf swDispDim.GetType = swDimensionType_e.swLinearDimension Then

Debug.Print swDispDim.GetNameForSelection & " - angled dim"

Else

Debug.Print swDispDim.GetNameForSelection & " - other dim"

GoTo nextdim

End If

sNewSuffix = vbCr & "<FONT color=0x000000ff>(" & FormatNumber(dInchVal, 3) & ")<FONT color=0x000000ff>"

nextdim:

Wend

Wend

End Sub

Mike Flanders

This whole thing is going to be incredible!! The last portion of this thread you had me add some code to get the values we input for our shrinks to be placed in a note on the print. I was wondering if this could be done by adding them to values into the models custom properties. By doing so I can add in two spaces for these two values into my title block on my print and just have them linked to the new custom properties. It wouldn't be just and annotation on the print but a dynamic note.

Fifi Riri

macro addition.PNG

custom property.JPG