30 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2018 6:11 AM by Kameron Smith

SLUGME 2018 - Pictures

Todd Blacksher

Good Morning Everyone,

We had a great event last night, our 3rd Annual SLUGME (SOLIDWORKS Largest User Group Meeting Ever) was a HUGE success!

I will be adding more to this thread later (Statistics, Maps, and so on)

For now, I wanted a place for people to share their pictures from last night!

I'll get this started:

SwugOne (Lincoln, Nebraska)

We had a good crowd -

SO-1.jpg

Livin' the SWUGLife -

SO-3.jpg

This is what happens when you try to take a panoramic picture with a lot of students -

SO-2.jpg

Now it is time to share your pictures!

todd

• Re: SLUGME 2018 - Pictures
          Dan Pihlaja

These two guys are my favorite.   They look the funniest with that panorama. 

Jim Steinmeyer

We were broken hearted.

Get a screen informing me that we are on Tony's feed and event will start soon, check.

hear audio of muffled talk in the background, check.

Get the pizza and pop for the attendees, check.

at 5:58 the audio ends in anticipation of the live presentation, check

and we wait.

Still nothing by 6:10

log out and back in 3 times hoping something will connect correctly. And we wait.

eat pizza and go home at 6:45 promising to share the video when it is available.

Well we tried, better luck next time. For the record there were 3 of us here. The Pizza was ok but the good pizza place isn't open Mondays or Tuesdays, (just so you can schedule for next time.)

Danny Edwards

I do not have a picture but I had a great time at this meeting. I learned some tricks I did not know was there. There was 3 of us at the meeting. I had time to go to the house and eat supper with my family before heading to the meeting.

Steve Calvert

Well..

OK, I almost melted down last night from shear frustration but kept a smile on the entire time.  What a night…

Long day started with a few of the guys here helping me move stuff from my cube and truck over to the Ovation conference room where we are doing the meeting from.  Getting ice on the drinks and getting the room set up for the upcoming slew of people.  We had 41 RSVPs so I guessed 38 would show up and a few stragglers.  Our dept. laptop is an older Dell and just needs some time to boot up so I gave it plenty of time BUT one of my co-workers, who thinks he can solve the slowness problem wanted to defrag and clean the disk because he just knew what was the problem.  I, of course, said  no Mark, please not at this time.  I know the computer is slow and that’s why I’m plugging it in and starting it up at 5:00, a full 2 hours before we needed it.  Well, Mark insisted that he knew exactly what the problem was so I let him do his work, what could go wrong?

5:20 rolls around and I said I’m going to get the 15 pizzas I ordered yesterday from Pizza Hut, so I left.  Traffic was bad even the short distance to the Hut.  I arrived with a few minutes before pick up time.  A young lady meant me out the door and said the power is out. Oh no, will you be able to get me 15 pizzas for me soon?  She said the power has been out since 3:00.  Why didn’t you call me and warn me, I could have gone somewhere else at least.  She said she didn’t know there was a large order.  Damn.  The brain kicked in, there’s a Little Caesar’s kitty corner to me here, I’ll try them.  Damn if their power isn’t out, too.

Now the brain is hurting.  I call my friends at work.  “Now what”  Try this place, it’s close to work.  I zoomed over to a local place and they said they couldn’t do even 10 pizzas in that short time frame.  Damn.  Ok, back to the phones, it’s now 6:15 and I wanted to be back at work to welcome in our members, I like shaking hands and meeting them if I don’t already know them.  The guys here said they’d check further south from us and get the pizzas.  I get back to the room and see that there are damn close to 30 people already, WOW.  I also see another one of our young Engineers setting at the table next to the older computer with his laptop open.  Jeff, what’s up?  The remaining two young Engineers turned to me and said Mark messed up the dept. laptop. Not going well at this point so I stepped out and told the group, it’s 6:30 now and it’s time to start the introductions and welcome speeches.  “Hi, I’m Steve, welcome to another User Group meeting.  As you can see, we have no pizzas, yet”.  All said with a smile and sure enough, half way thru my talking, Mark and Dan come walking in with 15 fresh hot pizzas.  Ok, let’s eat and then we can watch the SLUGME presentation in a few minutes.  Timing was good in all but I was nervous…

The event started and we got the sound where we wanted it and everyone seemed happy however, the night of events still had one more kick Steve in the ass moment.  Half way thru Neil’s discussion we lost the sound.  There seems to be some kind of problem with the room’s iPad that makes it go blank after an hour.  IT assured me that this wasn’t the case but it still happened anyway.  Damn.  It was fixed and we only lost a couple of minutes total of sound.  Again, all with a smile on my face but I sure needed a drink by then.

I talked about upcoming meetings and reminded everyone that Hockey & Solidworks and our group’s 20th anniversary was all next year and that I wanted to try and do 5 events.  I know we’ve not done 5 in a year but since this is our 20th, I figured we’d try.

Great meeting  the end with 41 people.  We picked up two new sponsors.  Impac Systems and Boxx Technologies and had some neat prizes to give away.

2nd annual Hockey & Solidworks 27th of Feb

Meeting 2 around the 1st of May

Meeting 3 around the 17th of July

20th Anniversary Meeting 4th of Sep

SLUGME first or second Tuesday in Nov (give or take)

This is fun… but in my normal requests for reimbursement there may be a bottle of Crown Royal in there, too ;-)

Steve C

Chris Scarlett

Great meeting at the Yakima Maker Space last night for the third annual SLUGME event with 8 people in attendance – we wish there were more.  As expected - Neil Custard provided a great presentation on various tips and tricks and details related to Fillets – Shells – drawings and more. 

IMG_20181113_172422388.jpg

YSWUG was the winner of the SLUGME grand prize which I believe was provided by DriveWorks, but am not certain – or we missed that part of the presentation.  Josh Ziegler of Burrows Tractor was YSWUG’s grand prize winner of our raffle (and the SLUGME grand prize too) winning an Amazon gift card from Paperless Parts and a Rapid tape measure.

IMG_20181113_181442659.jpg

Kelly Mears from Irwin Research was our second place winner with an Amazon gift card from “Rapid”.

IMG_20181113_181507538.jpg

Our third place winner was our group’s founder of almost 10 years ago - John Walden from Design Service Corporation with a Quad Copter from Paperless Parts.

IMG_20181113_181529151.jpg

CSS

Dennis Miller

Here is a photo of the Susquehanna Valley SOLIDWORKS User Group in southeastern Pennsylvania with our Drive Works coasters. There were 3 or so guys not in the photo that had already left. Great meeting only a few minor issues with wifi at the library.IMG_1185.JPG

Thanks for organizing this. Dennis Miller

Michael Lord

Another great version of the SLUGME event. All credit to Todd Blacksher & the SLUGME committee.

With this globe we live on and the Timezone differences the SLUGME event falls in the middle of the working day on the east coast of Australia!  Which makes it a little difficult to get people together for a User Group meeting.

So I make a token representation of the Sydney SOLIDWORKS User Group

SLUGME on the small screen whilst I'm working on some import data

SLUGME - SSU.jpg

Duncan Gillis

Tried to get on to the SLUGME event yesterday, but Telstra (our local telephone network in Aus) decided to kill our landline!!!! so i missed out on the entire event.
                        I hear it went well, congrats Todd Blacksher and the SLUGME team for putting on another great show!

Jeff Mowry

Our group met Wednesday last week, so we weren't part of this one.  But I won that same quad-copter two meetings ago (first SWUGM I've been to in a decade).  Kitten gets his exercise when the quad-copter's flying---that thing's tough, too!

Funny how the tech we rely upon seems to be rather fragile when it comes to stuff like this---power, wi-fi, sound, video, computer, and even pizza failure!

Rick McDonald

I got to go on a business trip to Boston area that I was able to correlate with the SLUGME meeting at the Dassault Systems site. 

I believe Dan said there were about 140 people there - should have taken more pictures!

Kendra Wardlow

PCBSWUG had 15 attendees since life still isn't quite the same in our area after Hurricane Michael.

2018 PCBSWUG SLUGME.jpg

Two questions:

Will the SWUG Life shirts be available for purchase again?

Will the SLUGME presentation be posted on YouTube or anywhere else?

Thanks for another great SLUGME!!

Todd Blacksher

Kendra Wardlow wrote:

Two questions:

Stay tuned, we will be making the link available for the next round of SWUGLife shirts today!

I am hoping to get the recording of the presentation so that we can post it with last year's recording.

Thanks!

Dennis Dohogne

Todd Blacksher wrote:

Kendra Wardlow wrote:

Two questions:

Stay tuned, we will be making the link available for the next round of SWUGLife shirts today!

I am hoping to get the recording of the presentation so that we can post it with last year's recording.

Thanks!

I was able to log into the GoToMeeting access for this year.  I was greatly disappointed and logged off after 15 minutes.  I did not realize (it was not in the message provided with the link) that it was an audio-only access.  SolidWorks is a very visual program.  The SLUGME is worthless without a video to watch.  This was even more aggravating because I had turned down the hour drive to our local user group since I had the login.  I had pushed our local UGL to participate in the SLUGME this year and he finally did, but I missed it.

I do hope the video of this year's event is made available.  I also hope that in the future the online access is full video and not just the audio.

Todd Blacksher

Dennis Dohogne wrote:

Todd Blacksher wrote:

Kendra Wardlow wrote:

Two questions:

Thanks!

I was able to log into the GoToMeeting access for this year. I was greatly disappointed and logged off after 15 minutes. I did not realize (it was not in the message provided with the link) that it was an audio-only access. SolidWorks is a very visual program. The SLUGME is worthless without a video to watch. This was even more aggravating because I had turned down the hour drive to our local user group since I had the login. I had pushed our local UGL to participate in the SLUGME this year and he finally did, but I missed it.

I do hope the video of this year's event is made available. I also hope that in the future the online access is full video and not just the audio.

Apparently there was A LOT of confusion about SLUGME this year . . .

Listing the presentation start time as 5pm PST/ 8pm EST caused issues for many, so Kameron Smith shared a map that showed the time zone regions.

The webinar invite with the log-in credentials that was sent out had a "time range" that allowed people to log in before the presentation started, and gave us some cushion if the presentation ran long.

(We wanted people to log-in before the presentation started, so we could start promptly on time.)

Someone in Waltham left their microphone on, so all of the speaking that was being done in the room, was being transmitted to everyone that was logging in early for the presentation. I was able to shut down their microphone after it caused A LOT of confusion.

There was supposed to be a number of slides in rotation to let people know that the presentation would be starting soon - these did not show up until just before the presentation.

There were a number of people that did not stick around until the posted start time, and they all missed the presentation.

Jim Steinmeyer

Todd Blacksher wrote:

Someone in Waltham left their microphone on, so all of the speaking that was being done in the room, was being transmitted to everyone that was logging in early for the presentation. I was able to shut down their microphone after it caused A LOT of confusion.

There was supposed to be a number of slides in rotation to let people know that the presentation would be starting soon - these did not show up until just before the presentation.

There were a number of people that did not stick around until the posted start time, and they all missed the presentation.

We had the audio from this person and then when it was shut down we had nothing. after about 30 40 minutes of trying to get anything we figured we had something wrong and gave up.

Dennis Dohogne

Jim Steinmeyer wrote:

Todd Blacksher wrote:

We had the audio from this person and then when it was shut down we had nothing. after about 30 40 minutes of trying to get anything we figured we had something wrong and gave up.

I think that is exactly what happened in my case as well.  Hopefully some good lessons will be learned so that the next time these mistakes don't happen and leave a sour taste in our mouths.

Jim Steinmeyer

Dennis Dohogne wrote:

I think that is exactly what happened in my case as well. Hopefully some good lessons will be learned so that the next time these mistakes don't happen and leave a sour taste in our mouths.

Well that and change the night to later in the week, Our best pizza joint is closed  Mondays and Tuesdays.

But then we will have a Casey's by the time the next one comes around.

Jeff Mowry

People don't know what time zone they're in?

Kameron Smith

Here we go!

SWUGLife OG Shirt Custom Ink Fundraising

Share the link far and wide!

This round is open for 4 weeks. Let's see how much money we can raise for Danielle Boyer and EKGAR!

~Kam

Eric Beatty

Hey Kendra - is that Kurt Anliker in the back row there?