8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2009 10:22 PM by Andres Girardot

Extrude Cut failed after thickening

Andres Girardot
      I'm new to the whole surfacing modeling. I have a surface model that was thicken to convert the part into a solid model. However, I now want to do some cuts to the body but every time I used the Extrude-Cut feature SW gives me a "Rebuild Error -the feature failed to cut the body". I assume this feature can be use once the model has been thicken and become a solid model but I might be wrong. Are there any suggestions of what I did wrong or getting around the problem???

Thanks

Picture uploaded for reference
        • Extrude Cut failed after thickening
          Mark Kaiser
          Yes, you should be able to extrude cut after you thicken your surface into a part. The best way for us to try and help is if you can upload your part with the sketch you're trying to cut with. Maybe screenshots would be enough.
            Andres,

First, are you sure you have a solid body (at least one body in Solids folder in Feature Manager), second, the solid body could be corrupt, especially with it being an import - use the tools>check to validate this. Third, are there and faces on the model that are transparent - this is a sign of a corrupt body (flipped normal of face) make your display mode wireframe - are all the edges black? if not and there is a even minute blue edge/s then there's a problem with the solid.
                Andres Girardot
                Thank for the response.

Mark K. I have uploaded the file.

Mark B. I check my design feature tree and there is a solid folder present. The Wire frame seems good and all edges were black. However, I did the tools check and it is giving me and error that says 'Data invalid' but I don't know if it is because I'm using reference features to other parts. As well every time I save is says that it cannot save because the the file is invalid but it does save and when re-opening it shows every thing ok with new features included and all.. I try other features and all of them work fine is just this one that is giving me issues.

In case that the files is corrupted is there something that can be done??? My last back up is not showing many of the features presented.
                Andres Girardot
                By the way I'm using SW 2008 sp1.0
                    Mark Kaiser
                    I was able to do an extrude cut, but I'm sure it wasn't the same extrude cut you were trying. Can you be descriptive of the cut you were trying or upload the part again with the sketch of the cut you need?
                        Andres,

Using thicken on complex surface bodies in place of shell will produce errors because it is offsetting surfaces normal globally and the thicken feature is burdened with trying to figure out the additional intersection and material where adjacent surfaces meet and create the end cap surfaces. If you do a body check you'll see this.

Instead, let shell do your thickness. See attached. I also noticed that you built using 3Dsketch; very impressive, although you can not guarantee planar on som of your sketches and that's why I first did some extends before trimming back planar surfs and making 1/2 of it solid.
                      Andres Girardot
                      Mark k.

Well the file that was uploaded has the cuts that I been trying to do. However, those cuts were done as the part was made by surfaces. It has been the only solution that I could find for now. But I need to do other cuts similar to that ones and the extrude cut feature did not work. How did you manage to cut it??
                        Andres Girardot
                        Mark B. Thanks for the file. yeah it is way better with the shell feature, once i was able to close the body (which requires more steps) I was able to do the cuts needed. Thanks all for the help !