6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2018 11:29 AM by Tripp Warren

What is this symbol next to my mate type?

Tripp Warren

This symbol keeps popping up and it acts like an anchor mate or "fixed" mate. How do I get rid of it? I think it's jacking with my concentric mates. Similar to "Lock Rotation" maybe? Whatever it is, it's locking my inserted model in an assembly with only one mate.

• Re: What is this symbol next to my mate type?
          Shawn Stugard

This mate is restraining the component from moving.

Glenn Schroeder

As Shawn Stugard said, it's just indicating that this Mate is restricting the movement of this component (A), as opposed to other mates where another component (B) may be mated to (A) to restrict (B)'s movement.  I haven't found it to always be accurate so I ignore it.  I generally fully mate components as I insert them, so I always know that the first 2 or 3 mates in the list are the ones holding that component in place.

The ( - ) before the component name indicates that it's position isn't fully defined (see below).  What makes you think it's somehow "Fixed" or "Locked with one mate"?

Tripp Warren

I get all of that. How do I make it not a grounded mate? I generally have ignored it over the years too. What makes me think it's locked is that I have a gear with a bolt circle trying to mate up to a flange with the same bolt circle pattern. When I add either a concentric mate, or surface mate, I can't rotate the gear so that the bolt holes align. It won't allow me to move on any plane or axis that isn't constrained. I get that it's not fully defined, and I want to define it, it's just that I'm not able to because of the grounded mate....I think.

What's weird is I have another model with the same mate type and it's responding fine.

Glenn Schroeder

Tripp Warren wrote:

I get all of that. How do I make it not a grounded mate? I generally have ignored it over the years too. What makes me think it's locked is that I have a gear with a bolt circle trying to mate up to a flange with the same bolt circle pattern. When I add either a concentric mate, or surface mate, I can't rotate the gear so that the bolt holes align. It won't allow me to move on any plane or axis that isn't constrained. I get that it's not fully defined, and I want to define it, it's just that I'm not able to because of the grounded mate....I think.

What's weird is I have another model with the same mate type and it's responding fine.

You can delete the mate.  That's the only way.  I know that answer doesn't help you, but it's tough to be of more assistance without the files.  Can you Pack and Go your Assembly to a zip file and post it here?