18 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2018 12:16 PM by Steve Calvert

Solidworks Computer Specs and Slow Drawings Help

Eric Frissell

Hi all, first of I know the computer spec's for SW have already been beaten to death but l'm really struggling to understand where my current issues are at.  Currently at work our engineering department is a little neglected by IT since they they only seemed concerned with something not working, as opposed to working...but very slowly.  Our models are not overly complicated but they may contain upwards of 1,200 parts and a file size of roughly 30 MB.  The issue that I'm having is excessive time during an assembly drawing rebuild, saving the drawing, moving around within the drawing, or switching sheets.  Also as small changes get made to the drawing such as moving a balloon or annotation it bogs down really quick and I end up needing to rebuild it.  The rebuilds can take up to 5~10 minutes, it's ridiculous, I don't know how our engineering department gets anything done because I barely can.  Computer specs are as follows

Windows 10

GPU - K4000 (411.63 driver)

16 gig ram at 1866 MHz

CPU - Xeon E5-2650 v2 (2.6 GHz; turbo to 3.4 GHz)

HD is not a solid state

Nothing appears to really peg out except for ram which never goes beyond 48% and GPU is usually in the 2200 range.  Max GPU load has spiked up to 70% according to GPU-Z but it's usually in the 2~3% range.

Any idea why this could be?  Anything I'm missing?  I'm trying to get the IT to update the GPU to a P4000 (P2000 at a minimum) and add in another 16 gig of ram.  Anything else that should be considered?  New CPU?

• Re: Solidworks Computer Specs and Slow Drawings Help
          James Riddell

Are you working on your models/drawings over a network?

Glenn Schroeder

Have you tried running Assembly Visualization?  That should give you an idea of where you have the bottleneck.  I just finished the first draft of a drawing this morning, with a similar number of components.  The Drawing has 7 sheets, and is 1,681 KB.  The parent Assembly is only 494 KB.  You said the Parts aren't overly complicated, but I have to wonder.  I looked back at some of my recent projects and couldn't find any where the parent Assembly was over 1500 KB.

Steve Calvert

It can be lots of things. 

Where are these components being pulled from?  Network or locally?

How complex of the components?  Lots of surfaces?

What is the Image Quality of the components?  Is the resolution slider bar all the way over to the right?

Are you opening these drawings fully resolved?

Just a few

Can you open the assy first in the Large Assembly Mode and then let's do an Assembly Visualization.

Steve C

Eric Frissell

Thanks Steve.  The files are stored on a PDM vault on a server, large assembly mode is active and all parts are loaded lightweight. Curvature generation is greyed out. Image quality of the assembly is set to high (didn't think it was, I'll change it for this model.)  I don't believe the drawings are fully resolved since the assembly is loaded with all parts lightweight.  If that isn't the case I can try to fix that.

Components aren't very complex.  Mostly welded and sheet metal components so there's a lot of flat surfaces and edges, but nothing very complex.

Paul Risley

Eric Frissell wrote:

Thanks Steve. The files are stored on a PDM vault on a server, large assembly mode is active and all parts are loaded lightweight. Curvature generation is greyed out. Image quality of the assembly is set to high (didn't think it was, I'll change it for this model.) I don't believe the drawings are fully resolved since the assembly is loaded with all parts lightweight. If that isn't the case I can try to fix that.

Components aren't very complex. Mostly welded and sheet metal components so there's a lot of flat surfaces and edges, but nothing very complex.

On most weldments if fully defined in big equipment, take a catwalk for example. Once the scope of the project is defined and until the detail of the weldments is necessary make sure all welded structures have the rebuild cutlist options automatic turned off. If not this will cause massive delays in rebuild, example your drawing could have 5 welded structures each time Solidworks thinks there is a change or needs to refresh the weldment it will rebuild it and will also re-do the cutlist. This can get to be very tedious, our rule of thumb is the cutlist gets generated at the time of detail and once any revisions have been made. It speeds up re-build times.

As far as lightweight goes that doesn't always play well with sheet metal and/ or weldments. Depending on the construction of these parts and their mates loading lightweight may hide some discrepencies later on in the design process. (My own personal experience.)

Steve Calvert

So, lots of flat surfaces is a problem, too.  The graphics triangles Glenn and I ask you to look at earlier is another good indication of where the most time is spent getting the image to display.

Steve C

Eric Frissell

One of the things we do know is that the network is old and slow.  IT brags about our cables and transmission rates but they haven't touched the server in years.  In fact they are being forced to update the server due to software incompatibilities for 2019.  So this sounds like 3 separate issues.  If slow saving and rebuilding is due to the network, would SW keep a drawing file stored on the RAM so that if you go to switch sheets it's pulling that from RAM?  Or would it go back into the network to open page 2?  Perhaps I can find that out checking transmission rates.  I guess our other issue is unrelated to the first where once you rebuild and save a drawing you can center-click the mouse button to drag the drawing around but if you add a balloon or delete a note or two it really bogs down until you rebuild and save again.  It's not that big of a deal in the model but working with drawings is like pulling teeth.

Chris Manger

Curious why lots of flat surfaces is a problem.  Our assemblies can range from 100 to 10,000 components.  Many of them are sheet metal.   Regarding Display Quality, our templates are set to 1/4 of the slider (Document Properties -> Image Quality).

John Stoltzfus

Another thing I would look at is the Quality Display in the model and drawings.  This can make a huge difference in speed, especially like Steve Calvert points out - "Flat Surfaces"