3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2018 9:51 AM by Sergio Monti

Sub-Assemblies have no rebuild errors, but when brought into Large Assembly unsolvable.

Brneden Russell

I am faced with a scenario where a few of my sub-assemblies show to be completely solvable, but when I bring them into a Large assembly they become unsolvable.

The attached file shows what typically happens. I interpret this to mean that the errors are independent of the mates in the Large Assembly, however when I open the Sub-Assemblies separately, no errors are present. Starting at the top, I have addressed mates that I are flagged with red, changing locking or coincident mates where perhaps distance mates are better solved, but I am beginning to feel like I am chasing rust on an old vehicle that is oxidizing faster than I can keep up.

What I have also experienced is doing random things such as rebuilding components, or even just saving documents can cause the errors to go away. In addition, the errors that come up are not always the same.

I have tried mating the sub assemblies together on a few different systems, and miraculously, there has been one computer that has had no issues with any of the components.

Of course, I would like to determine the source of these errors, as this assembly must be accessible on more than one system.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brenden

• Re: Sub-Assemblies have no rebuild errors, but when brought into Large Assembly unsolvable.
          Alex Burnett

I see quite a few flexible sub-assemblies in your feature tree. From my experience, these can be very frustrating to set up and to keep set up in a way that they will rebuild. As a start, take a look at the mates in your "THE REAL FINAL ASSEMBLY" and suppress them all and try to rebuild. If it works, then the mating scheme is causing your headache. However, if that doesn't solve it then the issue is likely in the parent file itself and how it relates to the flexible file. When this happens, I've just deleted or replaced the problem assembly and things seem to work.

These issues come up when a file is edited while the upper level assembly is open from what I can tell. I've started working on only one open file at a time and that seems to help a lot.

Take all of this with a grain of salt since it's only speculation. If you want more people to respond, please attach your assembly as a Pack & Go zip file so we can take a close look.

• Re: Sub-Assemblies have no rebuild errors, but when brought into Large Assembly unsolvable.
            Shawn Stugard

I would venture a guess that they are fine if you bring them into the top level and let them float(not mated). I think Alex hit the nail on the head with the flexible assemblies being the issue. You can try going to the sub-assemblies and suppressing mates there, thus adding more "flexibility" to your subs. Flexible assemblies can be incredibly frustrating and it just multiplies as you add more, so use them sparingly. It is often much easier to dissolve them in the top level and remate if you require motion.

Sergio Monti

I had the same issue a couple of times. I tried re-mate on the large assembly and after closing everything and re-open the sub-assembly, mates were then broken on the the sub-assembly.

After running around mates for a couple of days I got to the bottom of it.

In my case the issue was: parts having same file name but located in different folders. In that case SW doesn't open the a part (or assembly) file that has the same filename of a document already open. It uses the open one instead, then the mates don't match.

It's difficult to explain .... I hope I've been clear!