20 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2019 12:25 PM by Frederick Law

When can I start modeling in VR?

Tim Smith

We've been seeing the possibilities for using VR on the back end of the product development process. But when can I start using VR at the beginning, ie modeling?

• Re: When can I start modeling in VR?
          Christian Chu

I guess you mean virtual reality. is it embed a real image of the object into sketch is a start? or get a step file of the object and insert into assembly is another one

Tim Smith

Go check out Oculus Medium. It's a sculpting app with a VR specific GUI to optimize sculpting in VR.

Brian Kenyon

Have you taken a look at SOLIDWORKS Visualize | SOLIDWORKS yet? Im not sure it it will help but its in that direction.

Vittorio Bava

At Mindesk we're working on a SolidWorks plugin that will allow just that*; we'll release an early version probably already next month and then we'll keep on adding features. Have a look at the Rhino plugin videos to get an idea of what it will be. So, please have just a little more patience

*We keep on hearing about how people want to model in VR, in general, but if you want something in particular please do get in touch, hearing directly from users really helps us to prioritize new features.

Alin Vargatu

Tim Smith wrote:

We've been seeing the possibilities for using VR on the back end of the product development process. But when can I start using VR at the beginning, ie modeling?

After extensively using a professional holodeck (a mid-range one, not terribly expensive, lacking the mind-link that can be found in the more expensive ones), I would never go back to such primitive devices as an Oculus.

A few things that I would improve on the holodeck functionality (too bad I did not submit this as ideas in the TTL 2019):

• limit the settings for the gravity to no more than 2Gs. The one I used had no limits on gravity - go too high and the results are no pretty!
                  • allow environment mirroring
                  • have the custom property flags displayed in a color that changes dynamically, depending on the POV and the background. As you can imagine, if the color is white and the back wall is white too, you cannot read anything.
                  • allow for automatic adjustments of the focus, based on the user dioptries. Would be nice not to have to use glasses in the holodeck.
                  • allow for touch feedback on any part of the body, not only on the soles and hands.
                  • ensure that section views do not harm humans or other mamals present in the holodeck, rats excluded.
                  • reduce fan noise
                  • add support for Alexa
                    Steven Mills

I can just imagine all the user interface conversions that will be needed for that. Take a look at how much the UI had to be changed for games moving from a PC to a game console. And even the best VR has a couple of real life problems right now - How to Play VR games without barfing

Frederick Law

I hope I don't need to run and jump designing a fixture in VR.

Damn, where does the zombie came from?

Need to draw an axe fast!

Vittorio Bava

You're absolutely right. If there's one thing I feel confident to brag about, it's the fact that the upcoming Mindesk plug-in does not cause motion sickness: we spent years of UI studies and experimentation just to optimize this aspect, since we envisioned that professionals would (understandably) have very little patience for something that may make them hate their job. Every movement in VR is calibrated to your body movement, so there's never a dissonance between what you see and what you experience in your ear bones. For example, to this purpose we deactivated the possibility to go upside down, which users often do on a 2D screen: it's an auto-imposed limitation that actually liberates the user, it makes you "feel" you're there - and in "God mode" since it's VR.

Dan Golthing

Do you mean this:

The Future of Design - YouTube

Maybe add a VR headset?

SolidWorks only has several billion dollars of revenue annually to decide where to allocate the funds, and yet no advancements in interface since 1995 (oh, forgive me, they did come out with colorless icons).  Elon whipped this up with some of the change he found in his couch.

Even though the technology all seems to be there, you must be asking why it isn't being implemented.  We already have gaming consoles with gesture control.  We already have voice command API's available by many companies.  We already have VR headsets. 

So you're probably thinking, what is the issue, why not implement these technologies??

It's a good question, many have already asked.  Why are we still using a keyboard and mouse, decades old tech?

Every time someone brings up voice commands many rubes here on the forum chime in that they don't want it because they work in a noisy environment.  SolidWorks users are their own worst enemies.  So many lack any sort of vision.  They don't even know the current state-of-the-art on many technologies such as voice recognition where the computers are getting better at recognizing a certain voice amongst many.  They can't put two and two together and ask why these new technologies can't be applied to CAD.

Can someone please explain to these people that they won't be forced to use voice commands or VR if SolidWorks were to implement it.  Heck, they didn't have to use 3D CAD either, they could have stuck with AutoCAD or paper drawings for that matter.  Screw progress, right?

Kind of sad if you ask me.

Steven Mills

Ever read the story Superority by A. C. Clarke? That is why we stick with old technologies until most of the bugs are worked out of newer tech. Realibality. Voice recognition has enough problems that I don't want it as the primary means of controlling anything. VR has an earned reputation of not being able to be used for long until you train yourself to not have motion sickness. So yeah, we stick with what is reliable, and don't switch to something until it too is reliable and not just because someone promises us that it is better.

This is coming from a guy who wonders why we still use doorknobs instead of handles.

EDIT: I should re-phrase and say, "Until we see for our selves that something is reliable, and not just because a salesperson swears to God that it better than what we currently have."

And I am glad that we are advancing as a society, that we do keep trying to find new and probably better ways to do things.

Tim Smith

1_JzEpa6aK92q5KTyJGYDn_g.jpg

But then again we were using Model Based Definition before Solidworks came out with the Dimxpert module. What's the extreme sport saying "if you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"

I look at the efficiencies I picked up by going to the space pilot. That and a lower RSI risk on my right hand. I feel we owe it to ourselves as people who are supposed to think outside the box. To think outside the box.