5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2018 3:40 PM by Dave Furry

Failed to open database, error: unable to open database file

Fernando Rodrigues Gonçalez

My enviorment:

3 machines with Solidworks and a Toolbox on network.

Update process:

Update Solidworks installation from 2018 to 2019, before the update i copied the toolbox folder from network to my machine, them i specified the path of toolbox during installation, and updated without errors or warnings.

After the update i copied from my machine to network again, the path as it was before.

What is happenning?

I can`t open the tollbox configuration tool, i get this error.

toolbox-error.PNG

But when i use the toolbox of my machine it works, with the toolbox on network i get the error above.

What i did?

Tryed to use the toolbox in a local path and works when i use a network path i get the error.

I already contacted my VAR, at the momment no solution, that`s why i am here.

Ladies and gentleman i need help with that error.

Thanks in advance.

• Re: Failed to open database, error: unable to open database file
          Darrell Conley

I'm having the same issue as well.  Am thinking about re-setting the toolbox database file and seeing if that helps.  There might also be some sort of strange formatting issue with the change from 2018 to 2019 as we experienced extreme load times at first on our system.  I'm trying to solve this because I am in charge of updating and maintaining toolbox in our company (6 seats use the same toolbox) but right now I am unable to do anything to toolbox because of this same error.  Has anyone gotten an idea or solution to this?

Please note that we are using an administrator image install and because of this most of our systems don't have a 2019 local toolbox since we run exclusively off the network for toolbox.

Dave Furry

Same problem here, I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times and I have moved the toolbox each time hoping for a difference.  When I loaded it locally, I was able to access the configuration tool.  I deleted my old toolbox and got a fresh start using the configuration data saved in excel files.  I then reinstalled the toolbox on the server and copied the data over from the local folder. 

Our VAR has been looking at this for 2 weeks now and it has been upgraded to the point where I zipped my entire toolbox folder and sent it to Solidworks.  No answer yet, but my workaround got me going again.

Darrell Conley

Interesting turn of events.  I opened the database file in Access and saved it off again.  Changed the setting in SolidWorks to look at the toolbox using the "Path" instead of the network location.  Tried to open the configuration tool and it worked without issue.  Then I re-pointed the toolbox path correctly using the network location and I have no issues as of now.  I don't know what part of it all "fixed" the issue but that is the process I went through.

On a side note the final step was trying to show my boss what is going on with toolbox so he was aware of it........and it opened just fine.  The power of the boss and "Hey check this out" never ceases to fix issues on computers.

Sean O'Neill

Hey everyone,

I believe this is a current regression in 2019 SP0. Starting today, this should be observable within the SOLIDWORKS Knowledge Base:

SPR 1110921- Adding UNC path to the toolbox file location shows error 'Failed to open database, error: unable to open database file'. Works with mapped network drive path.

Try mapping the Toolbox folder/drive to a letter, then re-assigning to this mapped letter drive location within Options>Hole Wizard/Toolbox in SOLIDWORKS.

Cheers,

Sean

Dave Furry

As soon as I placed my toolbox into the PDM Standard vault, no more problems.

I can modify to my hearts content, plus I can control the access much easier this was as I am a vault admin.